Altiverb

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Altiverb

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:21 am

Wow, I'm pretty impressed with this plug. Finally installed a working Altiverb 4 running in Logic and it's really really fun to play with. The realism is pretty impressive. Judging from the demo, Altiverb 5 is even more amazing, but it seems to be a bit of a CPU hog. I find myself not using on certain things where a more artifical verb is actually preferable, but I'm very impressed. Highly recommended. Any thoughts/experiences with this? Why can't I find more mono IRs, also?
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:33 am

I have been messing with the demo too. It would be great just to run certain tracks through this thing just to get some more presence--like an exciter of sorts, but yeah I would be afraid of it being too pretty. Of course that all depends on which IRs you use. A little will go a long way...

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:38 am

4 doesn't have as many options, but in a way, that's better. The demo is great but it's useless because of the damn beeping or whatever that occurs intermittently. I feel like one of the best applications Altiverb has is making virtual instruments more life-like. It seems to be very good at that. But yeah, it's all about the IRs. And again, why so few mono IRs?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:49 am

I've been using it for a few months now, and I can't see myself using any other digital reverb. It even models the spring reverbs I have in the rack too!

In Protools, I will process tracks with it, like Bannerj says, where I will take a dry sounding track that's not sitting in with the rest, and I'll put the slightest bit of a certain space on it (often an attic room, or a living room, or a studio live room, and not some huge echo chamber) and it sounds fantastic.

I love a lot of the sound design/post-production IRs, like the domestic living spaces and the odd stuff like the cheap boombox and the vacuum cleaner hose. There are also some killer plates and IRs of classic digital reverb units, both hi and lo end. There is even an IR for Mechanics Hall in my hometown!

I have a wish list of IRs I'd love to see, and I'd like to make some of my own soon. I really think it's a great plug.

Roger

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

r

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:53 am

yeah, it's really one of the only plugs I can think of that doesn't have a superior outboard analog, you know? I want to start making IRs, too.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:02 am

Rodgre,

Are you using 4 or 5?

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:35 am

Altiverb 5 changed my life. I thought it was overpriced and held off for a long time but I'm really glad I have it. Very lifelife, subtle if I want it to be, and sits in a mix very well without much trouble.

--JES

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:32 am

bannerj wrote:Rodgre,

Are you using 4 or 5?
I'm using 5.

Roger

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Post by sdelsolray » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:21 am

I've been using it since Version 2. Now I'm on 5. It's a great product that has matured nicely. The IRs are great. They should really port this plug over to the Windows side. Maybe they will.

Bedfordstop
studio intern

altiverb help?

Post by Bedfordstop » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:54 pm

You know, i got altiverb 4 last year and have really struggled with it for some reason. i use it primarily on vocals, a little on guitars, going for a kind of 80's Smiths / Cure sound. Occasionally i go for a Beach Boys kind of sound.

Can someone recommend a setting for airy female vocals and Johnny Marr guitars? I swear to god i have strolled through just about every one of those 300 or so options and don't feel any closer to achieving what i am looking for. I typically use the EMT 140 Wendy Carlos long plate and sometimes bill Putnam echo chamber two. I set it up as an aux input then bus the tracks i want to get the verb. Am i doing something wrong? Should i be EQing the bus also?

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Re: altiverb help?

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:10 pm

Bedfordstop wrote:You know, i got altiverb 4 last year and have really struggled with it for some reason. i use it primarily on vocals, a little on guitars, going for a kind of 80's Smiths / Cure sound. Occasionally i go for a Beach Boys kind of sound.

Can someone recommend a setting for airy female vocals and Johnny Marr guitars? I swear to god i have strolled through just about every one of those 300 or so options and don't feel any closer to achieving what i am looking for. I typically use the EMT 140 Wendy Carlos long plate and sometimes bill Putnam echo chamber two. I set it up as an aux input then bus the tracks i want to get the verb. Am i doing something wrong? Should i be EQing the bus also?
Holy shit, looks like we make the exact same kind of music!

I bus whatever I want verbed and keep the dry track unmuted and eq the verb seperately. For a Johnny Marr sound on leads, I'd throw a mid-speed, light chorus on, emphasize the hi-mids, and then use a wet room verb with a little added 100-300 hz and pan just the verb away from the dry guitar a bit. Could work.

Bedfordstop
studio intern

Post by Bedfordstop » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:51 pm

Holy shit - you're right, and My Teenage Stride rocks! I am totally coming to check you guys out next New York show. I would love to know how you recorded reversal of a red bird - you got a perfect but not selfconsciously 80's sound, just brilliant. And that song....oh yeah, totally hit the spit.

but...ahem - back on topic - those are good ideas for the altiverb, but which altiverb setting do you use for that idea on the guitar? There are like 983 options.
jeddypoo wrote:
Bedfordstop wrote:Qing the bus also?
Holy shit, looks like we make the exact same kind of music!

I bus whatever I want verbed and keep the dry track unmuted and eq the verb seperately. For a Johnny Marr sound on leads, I'd throw a mid-speed, light chorus on, emphasize the hi-mids, and then use a wet room verb with a little added 100-300 hz and pan just the verb away from the dry guitar a bit. Could work.
:roll:

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:48 am

Bedfordstop wrote:Holy shit - you're right, and My Teenage Stride rocks! I am totally coming to check you guys out next New York show. I would love to know how you recorded reversal of a red bird - you got a perfect but not selfconsciously 80's sound, just brilliant. And that song....oh yeah, totally hit the spit.

but...ahem - back on topic - those are good ideas for the altiverb, but which altiverb setting do you use for that idea on the guitar? There are like 983 options.
jeddypoo wrote:
Bedfordstop wrote:Qing the bus also?
Thanks! Reversal Of A Red Bird was actually my first digital recording ever, done on my old and very slow G4, with four drum mics into a Tascam USB I/O, and all the guitars and vocals recorded straight into the mini in back of the computer, using....Garageband. That's sort of a demo version, really, but so many people have heard it at this point, I wonder if shouldn't use that version for the next release.

Anyway, yeah, back on topic!
I don't know what you have for IRs, but I'd say try a wooden room I.R. with a short-decay, and back off the highs maybe just slightly on the verb?