atr-700 help!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

atr-700 help!!

Post by bantam » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:39 am

i picked one of these up on the bay and could use some help in evaluating it. Id like to try to get it to sound as good as i can but don't know where to start, (other than alcohol on the tape head but not on the rubber)

i asssume 15ips will sound better than 7?

any recommendations on where to get tape?

thanks

btw: as for usage i want to try to print some pro tools mixes to it and maybe track drums to it (it has 4 inputs mic 1a 1b 2a and 2b) although its a 2 track???

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:48 pm

most likely it switches from mic to line inputs for what level signal you want to feed it..

15ips sounds better typically and conventionally..

some alcohol contains more water than other kinds..

soap and water on the rubber parts, capstan idler, etc.

you can demag the heads with a demagnatizer..

you can buy new tape from:

http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/opreelrectap.html

see if it works then compare how it sounds on input and on repro..if its sound the same in both modes and it sounds good your good to go..in any other case your looking at some problems..

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:13 am

anyone know if these have a good reputation? Ive heard they are not ampex machines but rebranded teac. Don't care too much as long as it sounds good. how is the low end? anyone have one that is using it?
thanks

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:10 am

I have one - they are rebranded teac. I don't know about low end response on them, I really just picked it up cheap ($150) for another tape delay. I haven't tried mixing to it. I would presume that if you were looking for a mixdown deck, there are better options available, but you'll have to try it and see.
beware bee wear

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:55 am

joeysimms wrote:I have one - they are rebranded teac. I don't know about low end response on them, I really just picked it up cheap ($150) for another tape delay. I haven't tried mixing to it. I would presume that if you were looking for a mixdown deck, there are better options available, but you'll have to try it and see.
I've got one of these a few years ago. I think it had been in a studio, up in Helena. The transport buttons went out, but a remote solved the problem. I used it to mix a couple of our albums, and loads of other productions. It still is a champ. It's now just used for echo delay.

Make sure to set the recording switches correctly... there is a chart in the manual for different brands of tape.
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:02 pm

Wasn't there a pretty positive review of them in TapeOp not that long ago?

Blevins has one for $200.

e
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson