what happened to that "recording the beatles" book

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:00 pm

i would love to have this book..
i do listen to the beatles everyday...im not on a kick or anything, its just what i do
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:51 am

The "Recording the Beatles" book is different than Mark Lewisohn's work - his Recording Sessions is a "who and when" book, ours is more "how and what". Mark Lewisohn has been a great help in our work, and is certainly the best author in the Beatles book world (Kevin Ryan, who has done covers and articles Tape Op, is also the author of this new work. His writing and layouts are excellent.)

This book is more technical in nature; Lewisohn's work does not detail much useful to the recording engineer or producer. The Beatles' era of recording was much different than today's sessions - if you like their music, the process and the gear may be part of the reason why. It is certain that most of what is in this book is "new" information - very little will be things you "knew before". However, it may not detail EVERY component of every track. It is a very large book and there is a significant amount of detail.

The book is coming very quickly - we will all see it soon enough, we are now setting up our ordering system and having photos licensed etc. When there is an actual release date, we will certainly tell everyone how to place an order. We will not be shy, so you probably won't miss it. But keep our eyes open... we'll put a notice here.
Relax and float downstream...

KevinRyan
audio school graduate

Post by KevinRyan » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:18 am

Yep. It shouldn't be TOO much longer until it can be in everyone's hands...
Last edited by KevinRyan on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:21 am

I remember hoping it would come out two Christmases ago! :lol:

Thanks for the update, guys...I'm really looking forward to it.

KevinRyan
audio school graduate

Post by KevinRyan » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:39 am

inverseroom wrote:I remember hoping it would come out two Christmases ago! :lol:

Yeah - Me too! I don't think either Brian or I realized how large the book would become or how MUCH there was to uncover... Glad to be at the end of the tunnel.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:08 pm

Cool thing is I just heard about this book, so my wait won't be as painfully long as yours. Can't wait.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:53 am

People have asked "to be notified" when it's ready. You can sign up onto a list at the website www.recordingthebeatles.com or just watch the web, we will post everywhere...

>>Neuman and telefunken and akg and coles mics, custom tube console, studer tape machine, fairchild limiter, various compressors, hofner, rickenbacker, vox, whatever ringo's drum brand was.. What else do you really NEED to know at this point??>>

See - there are a few errors in that very short paragraph and also MANY things missing that are important to what they did. So there must be more to know!

Seriously, there are some SIGNIFICANT pieces of gear they used almost every day that you have probably never seen, nor heard mentioned. Used more than the Fairchild (for example, we all know "Fairchild/Beatles"). If you have interest, it will tell you a lot. It also talks quite a bit about the situation - how things were different in the 60's... which may help you be more creative yourself in your own way.
Relax and float downstream...

KevinRyan
audio school graduate

Post by KevinRyan » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:32 am

I tend to think of the following analogy:

If you were a painter and you admired the work of Rembrandt, it might follow that you would be interested in his painting techniques: what kind of pigments he used, what kinds of brushes, the order in which he laid his glazes, his general approach, etc. Of course, knowing all of that would NOT make you as good of a painter as Rembrandt; There is no substitute for sheer talent, practice and experience. But, it's perfectly logical that you would be interested in such things and want to know. It's all part of an education. And one small piece of that information might lead you to approach a part of your own work differently.

I think the same holds true for our book. Reading it won't make you instantly capable of recording "Revolver II" (and it sure won't make you a better songwriter!), but if only one tiny bit of it leads you to make a creative decision that you otherwise wouldn't have, then I think it will have been worth reading.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:31 am

It's cool guys - i am not trying to boo-hoo your book, I wish you all the best with it.

Trust me when I say that I have spent an incredible amount of time and energy happily studying the Beatles up to this point.
beware bee wear

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:43 am

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:44 pm

I just got an email from the Voxtalks forums about that :D
WWRHS?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:13 pm

Good lord, that's expensive. I think I'll get it anyway though...nearly 600 pages!

I also just ordered the new Moog Cookbook record, btw guys...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:28 pm

inverseroom wrote:I also just ordered the new Moog Cookbook record, btw guys...
SWEET! I knew it was coming soon. Where did you get it?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:04 pm

oofa. $100? Really socking it to your fellow Fabs geeks, don't you think? Must be awfully expensive paper or something. Somehow i feel slightly dirty and used already.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

KevinRyan
audio school graduate

Post by KevinRyan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:52 pm

the brill bedroom wrote:oofa. $100? Really socking it to your fellow Fabs geeks, don't you think? Must be awfully expensive paper or something.
The reason for the cost will be much more apparent once people hold it in their hands. Not only is the book HUGE, but the first edition is truly a fine-art book, museum quality paper and printing. Suitable for display on your favorite coffee table : ) Full-color printing throughout (though, understandably, many of the photos are black and white because they were shot in the Sixties.) It's packaged in a deluxe box that has some extra little bonus items that add to cost as well. AND we've had to pay massive amounts to license certain rare photos, something readers will certainly appreciate when they are looking at them. This "Deluxe Edition" is for the diehards and the people that appreciate the collectibilty and value of such limited edition items. And it's not just "another Beatles book"; Brian and I have both devoted a decade of our lives to the research and writing of this book. For people interested in the topic, this will be a book like no other. And all the people that don't want to pay that much can just wait for the $60 "regular version" scheduled for release in 2007. Still a little pricy, but still a high-quality book. We're not at the softcover stage yet...