salvaging old effects pedals for parts.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

janusmusic
pushin' record

salvaging old effects pedals for parts.

Post by janusmusic » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:27 am

Is it silly to clip or remove out transistors/op amps from old effects for re-use? I have an old rat pedal that someone left and I wanted to use it for parts etc. I figre I can get out the jacks and knobs etc fairly easy, but the other stuff would be fun to experiment with. Just wondering if there is a way to remove things (trans,ops,resistors etc) from the circuit board and still be able to re-use them..I'm rather new to it all and saw that there was a de-soldering kit not sure that's the answer or if I could just clip them out..
any help or experience appreciated.
Brian

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:34 am

to me the most valuable part of the pedal is the enclosure - you can probably build a DI or a Reamp into that RAT case.

Most of the stuff in there is just worth pennies - you might just want to stick it on a shelf rather than scrapping it out right away.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:42 am

If the RAT works, you'd probably be better off selling it & buying new parts.

Tom

lightning_electronics

Post by lightning_electronics » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:00 am

certain pedals have valuble parts, like modulating pedals with bucket brigade chips. until recently no bbd chips were made and they were hard to come by, nos or used. even now with new production, being able to get your hands on old school bbd chips is akin to having old vacuum tubes.

as far as in a rat, the transistors aren't worth saving; new small signal transistors, even from good brands like fairchild, are usually less than ten cents each. the diodes, capacitors and resistors aren't worth saving either.

what is super valuble is the enclosure itself; even buying a nasty hammond box is going to run you several dollars, and then the time involved with drilling holes and trying to figure out a way to attach the circuitboard without it looking like shit (unless you're pete cornish and you're into the utilitarian sort of thing).

unless you're dealing with an old modulating pedal, don't worry about the discrete components. even in a tube amp, the only expensive components are the transformers; discrete components and tube sockets usually cost less than $50 for all but the most insanely complex amps.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:27 pm

save the switch - Rat-style stomp switches ain't cheap.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:57 am

save the switch - Rat-style stomp switches ain't cheap.

I know, but the switch is trashed..
I'll find something to do with it...

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:25 am

put one of inverseroom's photosynths into it
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:51 am

I'd keep the circut board for parts. Individual components are cheap but can be a PITA to order sometimes. There is nothing wrong with re-using a part you already have as long as you don't damage the leads or use too much heat getting them out.

For getting them out I'd recommend a solder sucker like this, some #3 Solder Wick and a good pair of needle nose pliers.
my band: Mission 5

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:55 am

Manual "zit suckers" are "maybe OK" in a pinch, but to avoid damaging vintage printed circuit boards, you really need a temperature controlled desoldering station.

"Wick" is probably the worst thing ever invented, since the heat required to desolder will likely destroy the circuit board.

Bri

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:49 pm

Check out what old Rat pedals are going for on eBay. Put in a new switch, sell it, and buy a bunch of new parts.

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:29 am

thanks for all the replies!!..I ended up saving the enclosure and sanding it down and just kinda left everything, circiut wise..It was a mess inside lots of wires torn out..so it would have been a lot of work to get it to a point to sell it + missing a knob and various other stuff that would make it a hard sell. But I always loved the rat, so it was cool to see inside and follow how it was done. Seems to be an opamp lm308 and to get the 2n#'s from the transistors, etc. etc was really informative... saved the 1/4" jacks but really gonna use the enclosure it's really a good design for a box. anyone know where to buy that style enclosure?
thanks again,
Brian