digi002 upgrade help please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rodsher
audio school graduate

digi002 upgrade help please

Post by rodsher » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:10 pm

hello there!

after much deliberation, Im ready to upgrade. I just have a couple of questions and was hoping to get some advice/confirmation.

Now I'm running PT LE 001 on a slow 566khz single processor G4 running OS9 using some burned plug-ins.

I'm thinking about going with Digi 002 Rack. (Ive used the 002 control surface in a friends studio and don't find it particularly inspiring so Im staying with the rack.)

my questions are these:

1. is it stupid(or even possible) to stay with my same computer or should I get a dual processor running OS10? if so, any suggestions?

2. I use only reverb, compressor, EQ, pitch'n'time, delay and Autotune. whats my best bet as far as a plug-in bundle goes? Im interested in a GREAT reverb. is Altiverb a good choice?

3. would you recommend getting a good converter as well? Apogee Rosetta? any other suggestions?

all in all, I got about $5000 to spend. maybe a tad more.

thanks so much!

Happy Holidays,
Rod

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:39 pm

If you have $5K then the first thing I'd suggest is upgrading your computer. I'm not a mac guy but 566 (did you mean MHz?) is very slow, at least in pc land.

The 002 will hopefully be replaced by the next generation PTLE box soon. I have a 001 and I'm holding out for the new one. The 001 works fine for me anyways, so its not a big deal.

To run Altiverb I believe you will need that VST to RTAS adapter. Waves makes an RTAS convolution reverb, the IR1.

Upgrading your converters is a worthwhile investment, IMO. I bought a used Apogee Rosetta AD 2 channel converter thats also used as the master clock and it made a big difference in sound quality.
my band: Mission 5

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:59 pm

How do you record music with only 566Mhz of memory? That is too slow. I say get a new computer and keep you 001. Get a used G4 desktop. You can spend anywhere from 1200 - 2000, for a computer that will kill what you have now. That you you have $3000 plus to spend on the plug ins, mix pres, word clock, mics etc...

I would get the Waves bundle or a Sony Oxford bundle. They don't have an auto tune, but you could get that seperate.

As for the Apogee... I don't know never used it. I don't even have an external word clock hooked up to my 001. People say it makes a noticable difference though...

Used Macs here:
www.powermax.com

Thats where I got my G4 and they are really cool and honest people. you can definiatly trust them to give you a good computer.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:22 am

InvalidInk wrote:How do you record music with only 566Mhz of memory?
566MHz is a measurement of processor speed, not memory size. And yeah, it's pretty damn slow. As far as what's appropriate for you, it's pretty hard to say. Just get the best you can afford, within reason. It doesn't usually make sense to buy the absolute top of the line because the price premium is too high.

rodsher
audio school graduate

Post by rodsher » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:35 pm

yea...I meant Mhz, not Khz. yep, its slow.

thanks for the input!