A DECENT MIC PRE UNDER $350....any suggestions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

swedishstudios
alignin' 24-trk

A DECENT MIC PRE UNDER $350....any suggestions?

Post by swedishstudios » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:05 pm

Hello Tape Op'ers,
It's christmas time and it is time for some new gear. I running Pro Tools 6 with a digi 001. I have been running all microphone and intrument lines through a MACKIE 1402 mixer and then going into the digi 001. The pres sound "alright" on the Mackie I guess, but i would really like a decent single channel (or dual channel) mic pre that would defianately enhance the sound of my recordings (especially for voice and guitar amps). I have had my eye on the Focusrite Trak Master Pro for some time now and I think it might be my best bet.

Could anyone give me some feedback on this mic pre or maybe recommend another one in my price range.

Thanks,
Swedish :shock:
late night recording sessions sound the best.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:40 pm

What mics are you using?
The reason I ask is because I suspect that using that money to increase your microphone collection might have a much bigger impact on your recordings than buying a preamp in that price range. I can think of several sub-200 dollar microphones to recommend (Oktava MC012, any of the new cheap ribbon mics, dynamic mics) that you won't outgrow even when you get more expensive mics in the future.
I have to admit that I don't have a lot of experience with preamps in this price range, but from all I've read I'm assuming that most of the cheaper preamps are only going to give you a slight quality boost above your Mackie pres. I had a silver Focusrite channel strip (Voicemaster, I think) for a while and it certainly wasn't much better than the Mackie.... maybe $10 or $20 better...not $400 or whatever they cost...
That being said, I've heard good things about the Electro Hamonix tube deal.
But if it was me, I'd either buy some mics or save up until I had $700-1000. There are a ton of world-class preamps in that price range.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:35 pm

If you want something right away, MF and Sweetwater are blowing out the ART Pro MPA Gold for $299. 2 channels of great tonal variety and color. That leaves you money to snag a few pair of killer NOS tubes to roll in for even more voicing options.

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:05 pm

pulse_divider wrote:I had a silver Focusrite channel strip (Voicemaster, I think) for a while and it certainly wasn't much better than the Mackie.... maybe $10 or $20 better...not $400 or whatever they cost.
Not having used Mackie pres, I can't really argue with that, but I will say that on my band's current project, when we were working in our practice-space studio, the guy producing/engineering - who's got plenty of pro studio experience with fancy expensive gear and owns a good bit himself -chose to use our U87 through my Focusrite Voicemaster (the less expensive 1U "plain" Voicemaster Platinum, not the 2U Voicemaster Platinum Pro) for the lead vocals rather than one of the pretty good selection of other, much more expensive pres he had available - Telefunken, Neve 1073, Drawmer, etc. He loved the thing. I like it pretty well too. I think it's not a bad "my first $100+ mic pre." You can find them on eBay for $225-ish.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:11 pm

i've been plugging my bass in direct to my Trakmaster Pro also. with the compressor engaged a bit, it sounds pretty good. Haven't really got a chance to try vocals with it yet. I did record some Trumpet & Trombone (with an Audix D3) and it also came out nice.

swedishstudios
alignin' 24-trk

Post by swedishstudios » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:27 pm

Well, the microphones I have are as follows: Audio Technica AT 4033a, Senheiser MD 421, a pair of Shure SM81's, SM57, SM58, AKG D112, and a pair of Crown PZM's. So of all honesty do you guys/gals think a new mic is the way to go? Maybe something with a tube to get some warmth?
late night recording sessions sound the best.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:31 pm

Electroharmonix 12ay7 (but read the month-old extensive thread at this site first to make sure you know what you're getting with respect to balanced i/o and such)

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:45 pm

I have a Mackie 1642 and several midrange preamps and there's a pretty big difference in the sound between the Mackie and the outboard pres. I have an Electro Harmonix 12AY7, ART Pro Channel (same pre as Pro MPA), Presonus MP20, and Aphex 207.

With your mic selection I think now is a good time to go with a better pre. On acoustic guitar the ouboard pres all sound clearer and more articulate. When a chord is strummed the Mackie smears the individual strings. On the the Pro Channel and MP20, for example, you can hear the pick strike each string. The guitar sound is more focused and more dimensional.

Vocals have greater depth and dimensionality. They just sound more like what vocals sound like on a good recording.

My two favorites are the Pro Channel and MP20. Either of these pres is a big step up from the Mackie. The Pro Channel has lots of tube sparkle and the MP20 is clean and smooth. The 12AY7 sounds alot like the Pro Channel on the top end but it is thinner on the bottom end.

I didn't know about the ART Pro MPA blowout until reading this thread but that's a great deal. If I didn't already have two Pro Channels I would jump all over that. You won't have any trouble telling the difference between a Pro MPA and the Mackie.

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:08 am

Aphex 107 comes to mind. Symetrix 528 also has given me good luck. At that price range, there are many others, previously much more expensive, available nowadays used.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:08 am

Sounds like you have a pretty good selection of decent mics to choose from so I'll withdraw my original post and say, yeah, a decent preamp sounds like a good idea.
Forgot about the MP20... I had one of those once and it actually was pretty nice.
Definitely sounded a lot better than the Mackie. I think some of them had Jensen transformers, if you go for one you should keep your eyes open for one with these.

MajorEverettMiller
ass engineer

Re: A DECENT MIC PRE UNDER $350....any suggestions?

Post by MajorEverettMiller » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:08 am

swedishstudios wrote:I have been running all microphone and intrument lines through a MACKIE 1402 mixer...
Are you using one of the newer VLZ series Mackies or the older version (red knobs)?

I'm also in the market for some mic pres and the ART sounds tempting, but is it much of an upgrade from the pres in my Mackie 1604 VLZ?

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:29 pm

I'm also in the market for some mic pres and the ART sounds tempting, but is it much of an upgrade from the pres in my Mackie 1604 VLZ?
I've got a 1642 VLZ and the pres in my Art Pro Channels are a significant step up from the Mackie pres. Big difference in clarity and depth on acoustic guitar and vocals. Punchier kick drum. Not such a big difference on distorted electric guitar except for that the ART pres have a bigger bottom which gives a crunchier sound which you could get with a touch of eq. With the MPA Gold now going for $300 it's a no-brainer in my book.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:33 pm

8th_note wrote:The 12AY7 sounds alot like the Pro Channel on the top end but it is thinner on the bottom end
humm..really? :shock:

with the comp engaged or sans comp...?

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Re: A DECENT MIC PRE UNDER $350....any suggestions?

Post by creature.of.habit » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:34 pm

swedishstudios wrote:Hello Tape Op'ers,
It's christmas time and it is time for some new gear. I running Pro Tools 6 with a digi 001. I have been running all microphone and intrument lines through a MACKIE 1402 mixer and then going into the digi 001. The pres sound "alright" on the Mackie I guess, but i would really like a decent single channel (or dual channel) mic pre that would defianately enhance the sound of my recordings (especially for voice and guitar amps). I have had my eye on the Focusrite Trak Master Pro for some time now and I think it might be my best bet.

Could anyone give me some feedback on this mic pre or maybe recommend another one in my price range.

Thanks,
Swedish :shock:
i'm selling my DMP3, literally as new for 120 euros, if you're interested feel free to pm me...sorry bout the shameless plug. :roll:

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:24 pm

12AY7 vs. Pro Channel;
with the comp engaged or sans comp...?
That's with the comp out of the circuit - there's a bypass switch on the Pro Channel. I've compared the 12AY7 with my Pro Channel several times and they sound very similar. I like the sound of the Pro Channel a littel better in most cases. That's with stock tubes in both. I'm going to try some NOS tubes in each unit to see what happens.