Anyone familiar with the Quad-Eight CA-137 line amp card?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

linus
re-cappin' neve

Anyone familiar with the Quad-Eight CA-137 line amp card?

Post by linus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:37 am

Hi;

I just bought a pair of Quad Eight CA137 line amp cards that were out of Lion's Gate studios. I was told they are like a spread out AM10. I was told they are discreet, class A, and have big Jensen made transformers on them.

I'm going to get them racked up and wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with them. Any suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

I'd love to hear them.

Linus

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:48 am

yes they're excellent. i use them all the time. get a cinemag 3440a, +/- 28vDC, and you're in business (that is, if your cards are ok).

see www.orphanaudio.com for information, etc..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:50 am

sounds exciting..I don't know the first thing about Quad 8 but I would be interested in knowing how you like em when you get em up and rocking..

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:19 pm

pscottm wrote:yes they're excellent. i use them all the time. get a cinemag 3440a, +/- 28vDC, and you're in business (that is, if your cards are ok).

see www.orphanaudio.com for information, etc..
Excellent. That is what I was hoping to hear. I bought them just based on them being discreet, class A, Quad 8. I didn't know anything else about them. My fear would be that I bought something that wouldn't work or would sound awful.

Thanks for the input.

I found the Orphan site already and plan on using their kit to get them up and running.

Thanks
Linus

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:20 pm

I have eight of them and all the parts ready to rack, just haven't had the time yet. I hope to get them done in a few months.

Check out the Group DIY forum for more info (do a search... there's a couple big threads about them over there).

www.groupdiy.com

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:19 am

Not so sure if the Orphan site is current.I emailed them a while back and got nothing in response.Let me know how you go.The kits they offer look quite good.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

orphanaudio
audio school graduate

Post by orphanaudio » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:50 pm

Orphan Audio is still quite operational.

We have been concentrating on the new Quad Eight product line and filling current orders. The Orphan Audio website is due for a complete overhaul soon, and the new Quad Eight products will be shifted to the Quad Eight website.

To set the record straight, the CA-137 (like the 127 and 127a) are Quad Eight AM series opamps laid out on a card, with huge output transformers. If you want to split hairs, the 137 has more in common with the Jensen 990 opamp.
All the Quad Eight opamps are however, Class-AB not, Class-A. (just like API, Jensen, Electrodyne, Sphere, ADM)

We have excellent stock of the 227 kits available and the 3440a input transformer is included in the price. It is built to the original Quad Eight QEE-3440a specification and matches the originals within 1/4db.

Although many transformers were specc'd by Deane Jensen when he worked there, all Quad Eight transformers (and Sphere and many others) were built by Richenbach Engineering (now Cinemag).
(Jensen Transformer did not begin operation until after Deane left Quad Eight).

The response to the new Quad Eight MP-227 series preamps has been quite gratifying. Despite our relatively low profile and only word of mouth advertising, many dozens of our factory built MP-227 Quad Eight preamps and user built DIY kits are in use worldwide.
"Warm", "Huge", "Fat" and other frightening superlatives have been coming back after sessions alongside other well respected preamps.
But I am much more interested in your reaction after you finish building your 227 kits.

If you have problems with your Quad Eight cards we will be happy to help you troubleshoot them. Original replacement parts are available if needed.
I strongly recommend recapping your cards before applying power, unless you order the Orphan Audio kit that includes a CA card. (we always recap and test the cards we sell)

Anyone who has had difficulty contacting us, please try again. we are a fairly small business (so far) and our email filters are very tight. Please have patience and we will get back to you.

Thanks,

Ken Hirsch
Orphan Audio LLC, www.orphanaudio.com
Quad Eight LLC, www.quadeightelectronics.com

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:18 pm

This is exactly the kit I need. I posted a message asking about this on the Quad Eight Forum and haven't heard back yet but I'm sure things are busy with the holidays.

Looking forward to getting these racked up.

orphanaudio
audio school graduate

Post by orphanaudio » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:27 pm

Linus,

If you still want to build those preamps, were still here.

Email your request thru the Orphan Audio Contact page.

Thanks,
Ken Hirsch/Director of Engineering
Orphan Audio LLC www.orphanaudio.com
Quad-Eight Electronics? www.quadeightelectronics.com
Electrodyne Audio? www.electrodyneaudio.com