Cheap Mic Stands at Musicians Friend

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Cheap Mic Stands at Musicians Friend

Post by meblumen » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:00 pm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=r ... id/450835/

10 mic stands for $100. I have seen the on-stage deals (6 for $100) but just stumbled across this tonight (in case somebody already posted, sorry for the repeat). Anybody use these or buy them? They look similiar to the onstage stands but I have serious doubts about the quality. Regardless, it never hurts to have an extra stand around for those larger sessions.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:24 pm

I have some of the short version. About 10% arrived with some sort of damage, but MF is good about replacing (and they are so cheap that they don't require sending them back--more than the freight). They are OK if you set them in the studio and rarely move them (like the ones on my drums) but would not hold up to touring (even weekend gigs). But hey, they are cheap so get twice as many as you need!

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:22 am

hey mike.
I will never buy cheap stands again. It's not worth it. If you plan on doing this for more than a year, you should just get good stands. I am buying all new stands right now because the stands i have cause me more stress than they're worth.

For what it's worth, I only spent about $2000 at Full Compass for some mics and toher misc gear, and when I asked if they could knock off another $50 total off the items I was purchasing they said they would rather throw in 2 top of the line heavy duty K&M stands instead (that's $150 "actual price"). What Im trying to say is that even the nice stands don't cost these places very much, so you can really talk them down on the nice stands too. The shit stands probably cost $1.07 to make.

regards,
mike

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:53 am

I could just imagine a 6 million $ mic with its hefty xfrmr just flattening the MF stand into dust particles and then shattering on the floor like an icicle..

no way..cheap stands STINK..Trust me..I have to use them all the time..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:55 am

and I just looked at the ones in the link..a have a bunch of those..they are extra crappy..the worst stands I have ever used..

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:05 am

Every Onstage stand I've ever had has broken, all differently, and I've cobbled the various broken pieces together to make stands that I never move, adjust, or look at funny, or even use, they just sit there waiting for someone to bring in something that doesn't matter, like maybe taping a set list to.

K&M are the way to go.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:55 am

well. as they say, you get what you pay for! These are quite cheap, and will break guaranteed! I bought a set of 5 for $89 to use with my live rig...never again! They were trashed within a couple of months.

Your money becomes throw away!

It is a good way to get a bunch of stand real cheap, but I would never use them in the studio.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:59 am

I bought deal like this a while back..
6 boom stands 6- 20' cables and 6 cheap mics for $99

cables suck but they will work for a talk back or scratch vocal
Nady "star power" mics....???? same as above..
stands really suck but hell....duct tape on a stand is better than duct tape on a hanger or a broomstick.
Sometimes you got to do what you got to do to get it done on $99:(

MajorEverettMiller
ass engineer

Post by MajorEverettMiller » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:05 am

I have these stands.

You are better off taping your microphones to halogen lamps.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:15 am

Harry wrote: Sometimes you got to do what you got to do to get it done on $99:(
on the flip side this is the point..I'm still using the shite stands untill I can afford better..well whats left of the stands anyway..then theres always the big DIY..DIY stands could have great potential if your a good builder and come up with an inexpensive & rugged design

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:46 am

beard_of_bees wrote:
on the flip side this is the point..I'm still using the shite stands untill I can afford better..well whats left of the stands anyway..then theres always the big DIY..DIY stands could have great potential if your a good builder and come up with an inexpensive & rugged design

Well......I just happen to be at the point where you were at when you bought the crap stands.
$100 on 10 stands or $400 on 10 good stands??????
There was a reason you bought crap stands and it probably had something to do with what you were putting ON the stand that you could get for $300.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending these stands THEY SUCK!!!!
But the clip is OK and those are about 2bucks right??? for 8 bucks I'll use them for a few sessions and be happy.(eeeww!!! I think I am defending these crap stands??? hit delete now...delete....~~~~~

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:55 am

When I first started doing this, I bought a bunch of On Stage stands and thought they were great. I had a small array of sub-$100 microphones and couldn't care less that the stands would loosen up and fall over night and sag during tracking sessions.

I now have an decent array of $500-$1000 microphones and a totally different attitude towards what holds them.....this attitude includes people. :wink:

heylow

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:02 pm

Harry wrote:
beard_of_bees wrote:

Well......I just happen to be at the point where you were at when you bought the crap stands.
There was a reason you bought crap stands and it probably had something to do with what you were putting ON the stand that you could get for $300.

But the clip is OK and those are about 2bucks right??? for 8 bucks I'll use them for a few sessions and be happy.(eeeww!!! I think I am defending these crap stands??? hit delete now...delete....~~~~~

I'm just sayin' you have a good point about having to use what you have to use to get the job done when you can't justify spending lots..

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:15 pm

beard_of_bees wrote:
Harry wrote:
beard_of_bees wrote:

I'm just sayin' you have a good point about having to use what you have to use to get the job done when you can't justify spending lots..

Good points all around......I'm just happy I figured out how to use this quote feature:)

Right now I'm picturing an 8 dollar mic stand wrapped in 12 bucks worth of duct tape?????? like a mummy:>)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:43 pm

lol!

a single role of the tecnec gaffers tape i use costs 2.5 times(plus shipping/tax) as much as one of those stands come to think of it..