Whats happening to my Voice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Whats happening to my Voice?

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:01 pm

When I record other people, every successive take produces improvements as the singer warms up. In my case however if I can?t nail it in the first two or three takes it just keeps getting worse. My voice doesn't get tired or anything like that, I just lose pitch control and emotional intensity. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:13 pm

I'm like you, first or second is usually best.
I find this true of most singers I record too.
The more you think the crappier it gets, well at least 80-90% of the time.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:43 pm

As a non-high-quality singer I find that singing works best right after I wake up in the morning. The brain is limpid and the vocal cords are, well, something or other. I don't know. It is a different story for real singers who actually warm up before attempting anything definitive.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:20 pm

I'm the other way around. Usually I set up a record loop, and start doing my thing. The first few takes I'm too worried about the timing, and usually mess it up. I have to forget that I'm recording, and those are the takes that usually work best for me. It works out though, because I like to layer things like vocals and guitars up (at least with my recent recordings). I like the natural chorus effect, so those extra tracks come in handy.

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:17 am

This might seems wierd.....

But depending on the mood and range this can be pretty effective. Set the mic sitting indian style on the floor. Try singing on all fours, or just kneeling. I find people are able to get more into it this way, including myself.. I dunno why, but performance-wise the difference, sometimes, is huge - not kidding.

Also, I usually have just dim blue lighting for tracking vocals, it sets a very nice mood.

If you go to extremes to change the mood, you'll find extreme differences in performance.

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

Post by junkyardtodd » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:36 am

Hey, if you can get good, usable tracks on your first or second take then you are way ahead of the game.

If you are like me, your best takes are still not all that great. These are the things that have helped me:

Practice singing the song, without music. Break it down into pieces, and sing the intervals very slowly, to make sure you have them right, then speed it back up slowly, just like a guitar player with a difficult lick.

Mess with the headphone mix, until you sound really good in the cans. A nice, loud vox sound will let your voice be more relaxed.

Try warming up by singing the song an octave down, with or without the music.

Try monitoring with just one ear in the cans, or just through your nearfields, at lower volume.

If all else fails, check out Musicians Friend. They are practically giving Antares Auto Tune away. Just kidding. I was really wanting to get Antares, but by the time I could afford it, I had actually got my singing into shape enough that I didn't need it.

You can do it! People will love you!
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:55 pm

I wouldn't say that I lose pitch control or intensity, exactly, but I will start to hear "too much thinking and too much trying" start to creep in.

On our latest record, I developed a way of working where I would track my vocals myself. I would set up the mic, warm up a little by setting a headphone mix and kind of "going through the motions". This would mean just kind of going over the lyrics and getting a rough feel for the task at hand.

I would usually, then, take a little break....hang out outside, whatever, and then come back and do 3 or 4 in a row trying not to think about it too much and fixing ONLY really bad spots like lyrical fumbles.

If there was something I wanted to try, I'd keep it in mind and try to execute it in one of the runs.

The idea was to hopefully nail it in one of the takes while having a couple of alternate verses or ass saving lines available, depending on what was needed. This mentally allowed me to take chances I might not otherwise take.

We wouldn't work on it again till the next day usually, so sometimes I'd go down later and kick one or two more out if I wasn't sure of what was already there. I know this seems like a lot of work but you'd be amazed how quick it is.....3 takes with a couple of punches max.....maybe 20 minutes if everything is set up.

Next working day....listen to them all and pick the one that grabs you. If a line kinda falters or a verse just doesn't do it, go through that spot in the alternate takes and find one that does. Obviously, this is easiest on a DAW and does take a bit of listening to be sure it comes off naturally.

It's likely not everybody's favorite way of working but I think it worked well for me even if only to "trick" my mind out of thinking too much.

heylow

lanterns
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lanterns » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:07 pm

there was a good tape op blurb about this.
I find my best takes are after a lot of drugs, a coupla sleepless nights, and a few smokes. It really gets the texture together. otherwise I hate the sound of my voice.

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:41 am

i think that the first few takes are always the best because after a take or two you start to become too concious of what your doing. then you start to sound like your covering yourself! you can only "feel" it the first few times then it just becomes contrived. if this happens "just add alcohol".
i am a total advocate of warming up your voice. not only can i stay in better pitch after warming up, but also i can sing for a lot longer. you'll probally get a few more years out of that instrament if you warm up. singing loud and hard without warming up is like taking you car on the freeway after drainning all the oil. a few years of that and youll sound like tom waits (which, i guess, isnt that bad if you want that tracheotomy sound). ill bet even HE warms up.
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:18 am

lanterns wrote:there was a good tape op blurb about this.
I find my best takes are after a lot of drugs, a coupla sleepless nights, and a few smokes. It really gets the texture together. otherwise I hate the sound of my voice.
Well, that appproach really only helps me when I'm listening.

Just want to remind y'all that changing the monitor-mix can make a big difference; I often sing to just the bass and drums, with maybe a basic rhythm guitar if any...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

peterr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by peterr » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:40 pm

MikeCzech wrote:This might seems wierd.....

But depending on the mood and range this can be pretty effective. Set the mic sitting indian style on the floor. Try singing on all fours, or just kneeling. I find people are able to get more into it this way, including myself.. I dunno why, but performance-wise the difference, sometimes, is huge - not kidding.

Also, I usually have just dim blue lighting for tracking vocals, it sets a very nice mood.

If you go to extremes to change the mood, you'll find extreme differences in performance.
I heard this is how Tom Jones recorded "war what is it good for."

Which was the original title for "War and Peace."

Karlos the Jackal
ass engineer

Post by Karlos the Jackal » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:07 am

Tatertot wrote:As a non-high-quality singer I find that singing works best right after I wake up in the morning. The brain is limpid and the vocal cords are, well, something or other.
That works for you? Right after I wake up, my voice is -- let's say -- "phlegmy." My guess is this isn't the case with you, huh?

I hate doing vocal tracks with headphones -- I'm so aware that the neighbors around can listen to me a capella, and it makes me feel really awkward. So I've just been recording vox with turned-up-monitors lately.

What I really need is a soundproof vocal booth. Same as I need a private swimming pool.

--K