Akai MPC2000XL

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Akai MPC2000XL

Post by ryangobie » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:38 pm

I found one pretty cheap cause someone messed with it but it had the 8 out board and 32mb of RAM so I snatched it up. I have a few questions on this guy. I dug through the archives and on the net and didn't find exactly what I needed. I figure asking specific questions might be the best.

Storage Options:
-I ended up with the 2000xl so I can't just plug it into a USB port like the 1000. Right now it only has the floppy so it's not really doing much. Zip drives seem to be the easiest in my mind. Big enough to transfer a lot of samples from a computer and big enough to save some big samples bought in through the MPC. CD drive sounds good but can an MPC write to one? Harddrive is also good but if I wanted to dump samples from a computer I would have to take it off the MPC and put it into my comp? I've even heard of people running a SCSI cable from the MPC into the computer. Anyone try this?

MIDI Network:
-Despite my aprehensions towards working on a computer (I sit infront of one enough, I like using my hands), Anyone have any suggestions on running a MIDI network into the computer? Software preferences? Interface preferences? It's been a while since I read the manual but I remember thinking to myself I should do this.

I suppose that's it for now. I'm sure more will pop up as I think. I'd just like to get this thing up and running.
weeeee

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:39 pm

you can put an ATAPI-stylee ZIP drive in the XL, since it does not need a boot up disk like the older 2000 - or if you can find one, even a ATAPI compact flash or similar smart media drive (had a buddy that did this). some XL's came with the ZIP drive as standard. the MPC2000 XL cannot write to a CD-R drive although it can be used to load. with ZIP disks you jsut swap teh ZIP back and forth between the 'puter and hte MPC, it can be tedious compared to more modern transfer methods but it gets the job done..

to my knowledge you can't SCSI the MPC to a computer, the MPC SCSI implementation is fairly primitive and you'd be asking for a bunch of trouble if you tried it (you would have 2 SCSI master devices in the chain, which is a big no-no). the MPC can do SDS/MIDI dump of samples (in mono) but not SCSI

the MPC should interface nicely via MIDI with whatever you use - i use a MIDISport USB 2x2 interface with my MPC2000 (older model) to sync to Live, and it works fine. you can set it as master or in sync mode and it works well either way.

there's a decent MPC site called mpc-tutor.com that has a forum that's fairly active although at times you might have to wade through a bunch of elementary n00b questions. nonetheless, it's a repository of useful info so check it out if you haven't already.

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:52 am

Would you recommend trying to put an internal one in the place of the floppy? I've read that it's possible with some cord modifying.
weeeee

DJ RELAX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DJ RELAX » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:41 pm