Sigur Ros "Takk" bass sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:37 am

I'm going to take this all as a collective "no, don't know." That's cool--mystery is good.

The sound in question is, I believe, not just muting and good technique (though it certainly may include those, as well as the console). I've only seen Sigor Ros once and it being live and loud, and me being slightly drunky, I didn't notice if they reproduced the specific tone.

As to sitting around with the bass, amen. With the G & L, I've always been a little partial to its active sounds, but of late I've been playing it in passive mode and really digging it. My other recommendation is for people who usually play with a pick to play with your fingers now and then, as well as for people who usually play with their fingers to play with a pick now and then. I think it helps one get a more creative with the instrument.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:37 am

Nice.

Happy birthday. This thread is one year old today.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:23 am

*considers putting flats on his Jazz*

maybe on the P instead?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Goggi plays a Musicmaster bass, often. They run his mic'd amp through the Neve broadcast in their studio which has on board compressors. They openly admit to squishing the hell out of their bass sounds.

Compressor pedals on bass are an awesome substitute!
boobs are life's fountain

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:57 pm

Ah yes this old thred

I actually got a lot of good stuff out of trying to replicate that bass sound. Never succeeded, but got a lot of other nice sounds in the process...which I guess is the point...

bewarethanatos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bewarethanatos » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:49 am

I wish there were bands in my area that sounded like Sigur R?s. It would be a dream to record something like that. All I've got around here are either metal-core and screamo bands, or jam bands. I want to work with someone like Godspeed You Black Emperor or Explosions in the Sky or M?m. Someone who's album takes as long to listen to as it did to record it.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:26 am

Just timestretch the metalcore stuff and release it under the name "Bjornsdottir Svensgataan."

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:05 am

So since getting my fender jazz knock-off, I concur that part of the sound is definitely the bass. But again, and I'm talking about that very first song on Takk, there's something else going on--I think--besides the bass and the pres. Maybe it's micing of a cab? It's very dry and it sounds like you're inside the damn bass. It also sounds so woody.

Also, there's a great vid of Explosions in the Sky on pitchfork (I think it's from the Conan O'brian show). Great band, and great for them to probably be making a chunk of change off that TV show (which is a pretty good TV show too).

westernstate
audio school

Post by westernstate » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:33 am

I can't wait until my bass gets here so I can try this stuff out.
Parasites are just people in the atmosphere of my body.

thekeepsake
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by thekeepsake » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:23 pm

I know this has been on other threads, but can someone describe the sound/tone/whatever difference between muting and not muting a bass?

My favorite bass sound is the super resonant REM bass sound circa Chronic Town.

I'm j ust curious if someone could describe the difference in simple terms so that I can convince my bass player to try it once.