comps.....whats your favorites?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jrepro
steve albini likes it

comps.....whats your favorites?

Post by jrepro » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:17 pm

Tons of topics on comps. Lots of post s on whats cheap and whats not. Lots of list of what comps you own. Well I am a comp whore too. How about this for a topic: What comps are your favorites to use?

I really like my LA-4's that has the OPAMP modded to the modern style slew rate. But even stock they have a great sound to them. In my studio the LA-4's and DBX 160X's get used on every project. The others get used for different situations.

What's your favorites?

sonic dogg
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonic dogg » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:26 pm

I like em all......! If it says Aphex on it, it has a use. Love the Compellor and Expressors.

All those 1176,LA2-A,Distressor,DBX160SL,.......whuts not to like??
Owner/ dishwasher @ Drool'nDoggRecords

Artist psycho-therapist/Priest

Wonderin where the lions are....

Theron D
pushin' record

Post by Theron D » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:10 pm

well since my experience is minimal at best, (Behringer 1400, RNC, and Art Pro VLA)...my favorite is the Art Pro VLA

Theron D

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:13 am

haven't used all that many, but i definately love the old urei 1176's.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:19 am

My Demeter VTCL-2 gets used on every session I do. It's fantastic on vocals, acoustic guitars, kick/snare drums, and I like it quite a bit for bass and clean electric guitar too. I've also done a fair amount of mastering with it.

-doc

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:40 am

I guess any comp can be perfect in the right situation, so I guess my favorites are the ones that are just so stupid they're great, like an alesis microlimiter. A fellow Bloomingtonian - drumsound - has a drawmer tube comp that sounds pretty sweet.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:34 am

Yeah I am not a gear worshipper. When I get a new comp, I try it out and try to figure out what it works well on. Then it becomes just another box with knobs that helps make music sound good.

Having said all THAT, I am really in love with the 1176 and 2254e. I find, that between these two comps, I can usually get done what I need to get done. The 1176 is super versatile and is great and making things bite and sound aggressive. The 2254e is like hot fudge, it smooths things out effortlessly.

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:25 pm

Of corse, my avatar, the 2-1176 and my pair of DBX 160's.. Not a session goes by without them.

They're completely different pieces of gear not to be compared, but it's funny how in many situations I actually prefer my cheapo 160's over the 2-1176.

I find my 160's are pretty much useless for electric guitars or drum overheads, while IMHO the 1176's don't do much justice for a bass guitar. Together they're a perfect team and both are very versatile.

Both are highly underated, especially for their prices.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Gah! The 1176 RULES on bass!! Slow attack, slow release, compress to taste, then drive the output amp and you're set. 8)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:51 pm

I need to hear more..

I like my distressor but to be honest the sound quality let me down a bit..its better than most other ic based gear.but its not what I like really..too grainy and 2d sounding for what I like..it is a really cool sound for some stuff though and the compression itself is freaking awesome..just the gain isnt to my taste..I wish they made it with the compression and control it has with the tonality of like something different something more 3d and natural..that would be my dream comp (i think)..

i got this orban 418a thing that has this crazy lo-fi crunch and weird opto limiting with hi-freq mu control that is badass..I like it cause it was free most of all but the sound sounds like nothin' else I heard so far..

dbx266..flat and 2d not exciting sounding but useful with the side chain and gate..

those are all my comps right now and I dont like to use compression too much if that tells you something..

my adda converters have comp/soft limit and its pretty transparent i guess so i guess i compress everything actually..i m not sure if that counts..

Albert
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albert » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:48 pm

I love my 1978 vintage DBX 162, what a nice sound that works on so many things.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:41 pm

dokushoka wrote:Gah! The 1176 RULES on bass!! Slow attack, slow release, compress to taste, then drive the output amp and you're set. 8)
This man has it down, I love the 1176 on bass!

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:46 pm

i think the distressor is an excellent compressor. very flexible, and contrary to its name and reputation, it is one of the smoothest and transparent compressors I have used (when used like a compressor rather than a distressor). It can also get dirty, obviously.

The BSS DPR 402 is a sorely overlooked compressor. Very clean and accurate. Very useful on snares and vocals.

The Manley Elop is great.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:48 pm

I find that, at least on the SLAM!, the ELOP portion of it kind of has a "turtle head" envelope where it lets the transient poke out a bit and then sucks it back in. Kind of turns me off to it.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:58 pm

I know what you're talking about. I use it very mildly in which case this is not a problem and even helps preserve transient detail on percussive sources. It is a wonder on electric bass amps and vocals.