accidentally cool acoustic guitar sound...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

accidentally cool acoustic guitar sound...

Post by andyg666 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:33 pm

so i'm sitting in my "studio" and recording some acoustic guitar. using an MXL 1006 large diaphragm and a washburn that's never really been very strong on the low end...

i have the mic on a desk stand and my DAW in front of me. the guitar is on my lap, angled up towards the mic a bit, and the mic is angled down a bit towards the guitar. behind the mic is some ikea furniture and a wall. the ikea shelf and the wall make a wall a ceiling corner, and the desk top and the wall make a wall floor corner. so basically i've got my guitar pointed towards a big bassy live space with hard surfaces and right angles...

the result is a nice pleasantly bassy tone, with the usual unfocused crappiness of the MXL 1006 mic in the mids. but nevertheless, a guitar that doesn't usually produce much bass is accidentally nicely bass-ful. i have no idea how it's going to sit in a song... just thought i'd share the happy accident...

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by brakeshop » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:43 pm

I can dig it. archtops of the world unite! at least that is what i would use it for.