large vs. small diaphragm: Drum overhead placement

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

large vs. small diaphragm: Drum overhead placement

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:31 pm

Useing a large diaphragm mic is kinda new to me as I have only had one for a few months (MXL 9000 tube). I have been useing the MXL 603's along with a sm-81 in a triangular pattern with the sm-81 over the snare and the 603's as R & L room mics with a bit of sucess. However now I have this big honken' thing that sounds pretty friggen sweet, but I'm having a hard time picking the best placement for it (seeing how I only have 1).

What are your preferances for useing large diaphragm mics in a overhead drum milking session?

(I am typicaly recording 5-pice kits playing Grind and Metal)

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:37 pm

Throw on some isolated headphones, have someone smack some drums, and put it where you like it most...

If that's not possible try a few configurations, record a few tracks and see which you like best. I'd probably continue to use you SDC's as overheads and try the LDC as a room mic.. I dunno, just a though, besides I really like tube mics as room mics.

Oh, a good starting point is to imagine the diaphragm is your ear drum, now aim your ear - it at least gives you a perception to work with.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:57 am

Yeah, the ear diaphragm is a good way to look at it.
FWIW, I usually like the sound of a mic about 4' in front of the kit, maybe 3-5' high and pointing at the snare.

iamredarrow
ass engineer

Post by iamredarrow » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:41 am

I record alot of metal and grindish stuff. Lots of times I'll use LDCs for overheads because I can generally let them sit with out as much EQ as SDCs, which tend to sound brighter on an OH ap. If you're not sampling the kick, you might try multi-micing it; an LDC a couple feet away can pick up a whole lot of kick sound that close mics won't hear. Unfortunately, that's usually bass and I eq that out of grind kicks anyway. I have in times of extreme duress put some MXL's under the floor tom pointed at the beater to get more click, but they almost always come out sounding just like the snare.

For that matter, try putting it right behind the drummer pointed at him. He makes a good sound soak for lots of annoying hi end and can give you a punchy, transient only whole kit picture sometimes. If he's big. If he's a weenie vegan, don't bother that.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:10 am

There is not really a correct placement..its ALL what you like and what the band likes..I try to think about how it would sound good or balanced or interesting in context with all the other things going on in the specific song your placing for..

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:48 pm

Not being sarcastic here...but... I just place mics where they sound "good."
:shock:
I Start with a single overhead above the snare, looking down on it. I vary the height till we get a sound that everyone is happy with, then I add the second mic, recorderman style.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:55 pm

There are a million things to try.

Mono OH Ideas:
For metal I like more cymbals so I might place the OH a little higher and roll off some lows if needed. I might also move the mic a little farther out from the drummer so is more focused on the cymbals. If I?m trying to capture the whole drum-set I like it to point it towards the toms a bit, especially if the drummer plays the snare nice and strong. If the drummer plays the snare a little softer than I'd like I might point the OH more towards the snare.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:03 am

iamredarrow wrote: If he's a weenie vegan, don't bother that.
this applies to every aspect in life, not just good drum sounds.

-justin
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com