The "All 57 Song"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:05 am

He should have used the 57 on EVERYTHING rather than just using pod guitar and such.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:13 am

joeysimms wrote:Here is my 'all 57' song, including a blender solo.
Not bad, but you totally ripped off New Kids on the Block.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Re: s

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:09 am

GrimmBrotherScott wrote:
jeddypoo wrote:huh, is there some phase going on btwn the overhead and the snare? The snare seems to thin out now and then.

Overall, not bad for a quick recording. Really some creative equing would have improved everything, too. That kick sounds like crap. What's funny is that I threw a 57 on a kick the other night for shits & giggles and it sounded a lot better than that. I wonder what he's doing wrong.

The song is amazingly bad. Wow.
Wasn't that kind of the point? No "board" to speak of...straight to the Roland using it's onboard pres. I think it sounds pretty damn good and illustrates the point perfectly.
I thought the point was to show you can get a decent track using only 57s. And phase on drums is something you can prevent in mic placement if you're careful, it doesn't require a phase inverter necessarily.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:11 pm

Jeddypoo, I hear you. I was referring to the suggestion of creative eqing is all.

Although, thinking about it, there is no reason he couldn't have fixed the phase (invert) and just mentioned it. It's a respectable experiment though. I dig it.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

e

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:32 pm

GrimmBrotherScott wrote:Jeddypoo, I hear you. I was referring to the suggestion of creative eqing is all.

Although, thinking about it, there is no reason he couldn't have fixed the phase (invert) and just mentioned it. It's a respectable experiment though. I dig it.
Ah, I see.

yeah, fixing the phase would have been easy to do and it would have helped that snare pop out a little more. It's kind of wierd that he got phase, though, since he used a mono dynamic overhead and didn't mic the bottom head of the snare. I mean I guess it could happen.

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:46 pm

i wish those songs were on a split 7" the 57 7". hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaa

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Re: e

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:40 pm

jeddypoo wrote: Ah, I see.

yeah, fixing the phase would have been easy to do and it would have helped that snare pop out a little more. It's kind of wierd that he got phase, though, since he used a mono dynamic overhead and didn't mic the bottom head of the snare. I mean I guess it could happen.
It might be that "faux" phase lack of punch you get with unisolated/ungated mics on the kick and overheads due to time delay? I say faux because it isn't cancelling out everything, only muddies it up. Actually...is that a phase issue or just an ear issue?

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:51 pm

I do believe that I read in an interview of Cake, regarding the recording of their latest CD, that they only used 57s, period. So that record would be the "All 57 Session"...

self
audio school

Post by self » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:05 am

i dig the hangin' tough cover. really. Sorta like a newman parody, but in a different way. but i find it easy to believe that it was done on 57s only.

as for the thread starting song, personal taste aside, i would have assumed it to be done in a pro studio if it were playing on radio or any place outside the studio. kudos.

self.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Re: e

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:38 am

GrimmBrotherScott wrote:
jeddypoo wrote: Ah, I see.

It might be that "faux" phase lack of punch you get with unisolated/ungated mics on the kick and overheads due to time delay? I say faux because it isn't cancelling out everything, only muddies it up. Actually...is that a phase issue or just an ear issue?
You may be right- it isn't cancelling out everything, but that's also kind of hard to tell too because he isn't playing that much. But that snare sounds phasey to my ears, regardless of whether it's actually phase or not.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:57 am

does anyone else think the sound of that recording isn't that great?

I think it sounds about right for 57's and a the daw..

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:57 am

drumsound wrote:Joey's song is way cooler!
I'm just quoting the last of three or so posts that I find completely unnecessary. It makes me think there's some kind of clique-y macho posing going on here. Maybe I'm being over sensitive (I usually am) but what's the point of bringing your personal tastes to this thread, especially saying something sucks or is worse than the other thing. I imagine in my minds eye a bunch of "hard" men who feel a need to put down something that's more or less a standard love song before moving on to the real issues of whether there's too much reverb or phase issues.[/i]

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

d

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:03 am

Osumosan wrote:
I'm just quoting the last of three or so posts that I find completely unnecessary. It makes me think there's some kind of clique-y macho posing going on here. Maybe I'm being over sensitive (I usually am) but what's the point of bringing your personal tastes to this thread, especially saying something sucks or is worse than the other thing. I imagine in my minds eye a bunch of "hard" men who feel a need to put down something that's more or less a standard love song before moving on to the real issues of whether there's too much reverb or phase issues.[/i]
For the record, I mentioned my distaste for the song AFTER bringing up my issues with its sonic qualities. And I maintain that it's not a good song, and I am a great lover of corny pop- albeit very little past 1965 or so. I am so far from a *hard* man that it's not even funny. My mom tried to get me to starting taking testosterone shots.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:04 am

Osumosan wrote:
I try not to get involved that way too and I think your point is great..but whats worse? Expressing a trite personal opinion about the subjet at hand or criticizing someone for their right to express that opinion when its not at all on topic?

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 am

beard_of_bees wrote:does anyone else think the sound of that recording isn't that great?

I think it sounds about right for 57's and a the daw..
No, it's not, but it makes its point- that you can make something.....kinda okayish...with just 57s. I think it could have come out a lot better, but it certainly could have come out worse.

I'm on such an anti-57 kick lately though that I can't be sure of the purity of my opinion. They make everything sound like cardboard (pre-eq).