The "All 57 Song"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

FirstNLast
audio school

Post by FirstNLast » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:41 pm

Holy Shit what a bunch of fukin jackasses around here. You fucktards totally missed the point. And for those of you that say the song "sucks," put up or shut up. Y'all are probably just a bunch of greasy haired screamo lamo's, thereby having little to now credibilty in respect to songwriting and recording skill.

You morons totally missed the point as to why Dan Richards posted this, and if you actually read the article and weren't to quick to look for an avenue to shred it, you would have heard it. Fucking asshatz.. :roll:

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:43 pm

Yeah, whatever NOOB. Are you kelly maguire? You're the second jerkoff who registered to post their first post on this thread.. :lol:
beware bee wear

witesol
audio school graduate

wow

Post by witesol » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:53 pm

wow, this is surprising on many levels and not at all on others.

First of all I appreciate folks listening. Thanks. Furthermore, this song wasn't meant for this forum. It was for VSplanet where I am a regular poster. Dan was kind enough to think it had merit and ran with the concept, unbeknownst to me. It was sort of a shock to see my full name on a post in forums I don't frequent. No worries Dan.
Do I care if you liked the song? Not really. Was I trying to record the hippest song ever with 57s? No. It was for my wife. Sappy yes. Some of you have forgotten there are faces that go with the songs. Do you think it just showed up by someone faceless, not reading, no person behind the MP3? I see my name along with: (paraphrased) "piece of shit and vomit and other pointless insults ", in a gear forum no less. Sad actually. I'm often self deprecating but I don't need the extra help thank you. I suppose this forum will mirror a reasonable cross section of human behavior out in the regular world and there will be assholes, indifference, the clueless, along with folks that have something constructive to add. It was only sad that I saw little about recording, little constructive. After listening to some of the song material by some posters in this thread I can only be grateful they didn't like it based on what I heard. This may have been a quickie, thrown together song, unmastered at 128kbs, but it would never go on my site as my best work. The above posters don't have an excuse really. They are recordists/artists putting their best foot forward on their sites ...I would hope they'd have better recordings. I do like listening to where someone is coming from when they post strong opinions.

Almost all of you don't know me, what I do, how long I've done it, how well I do it on a day to day basis, with whom and most important, what kind of people I am. But, I sure get a pretty good idea about some of you. Rather dissapointing really. What's this forum about? Oh yea, Gear talk. It couldn't have been clearer in the original VSplanet post that it wasn't a "how do you like my song post".
If anyone wants to comment on the gear, the recording, the process, The effects, EQ, compression, the mix, the acoustics, mic placement or anything remotely relating to recording I'll gladly engage. If someone thinks it sounds like crap, that's OK too. But give me a foundation on which to measure your opinion.
thanks for taking the time to listen, carry on...
kelly
sure, that's one way to do it

witesol
audio school graduate

Post by witesol » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:58 pm

joeysimms wrote:Yeah, whatever NOOB. Are you kelly maguire? You're the second jerkoff who registered to post their first post on this thread.. :lol:
sorry Joey, wrong guy. read above. very classy post by the way!

"noob", an interesting concept
Funny, George Massenburg registered at VSplanet and had one post, and probably has less than 30 now...don't you hate all these "noobs" giving their amateur opinion.

I listened to your 57 song Joey, now I can understand where you're coming from...

kid-surf
audio school

Post by kid-surf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:23 pm

I'll tell you what gang.........

You'd think if you were gonna insist someone sucked, and had phase problems, you'd think (jadapoo) that you'd have something to lay claim to yourself. Something that?is flat out brilliant. I?listened to your "one" recording and it was far from even "ok" (as a recording) it was flat out 'bad/problematic'. 100% home?amateur sound. Sounded like you recorded your band in a swimming pool -- with the water still in it. One thing about this music thing, if you're gonna talk shit on people you'd better be fucking amazing 'yourself'! Dude, you ain't. Point blank.? (and I didn't even bother to slam your music, which is nothing to write home about.)

In fact, it amazes me that your buddies here let you get away with talking about phase issues, as if you even understand it. Your recording tells us otherwise. Your recording tells me that you are a fraud, a hoax. You surly don't don't write (nor record) music as a career. Sure you (all) have the right to say whatever you want but at some point you look pretty foolish if your own music can't back up the chit chat...........

To the rest of you. You all should feel embarrassed, save for the couple "objective" guys, that you are so easily tricked into this sort mob mentality, this?reactionary game. (isn't this the least bit transparent to any of you? Maybe not?) You guys professionals? Man, I sure doubt it. You all sound like a bunch of home dreamers who feel?threatened that a guy got a pretty 'ok' recording with minimal prep/gear. You think he thinks it's his best recording, and or, tune. Come on now........... it's a quick experiment. A pro would take it at face value, not try and attack the composition.?

I say to you all ('cept the two objective cats)......... you are an?embarrassment to the brotherhood of musicians world wide. Only a bunch of fledgling?amateurs would act this ridiculous.

Hope you feel bitchen. Although you should feel like a?complete noob dork, I mean really. WTF?............. (and to you?couple'a ?guys who'll surly will come back with the "hey , fuck you, I'm a pro". Well, to you, Sir(s), I say "congrats for acting like a fucking clueless noob".?

Cheers ya'll..............

PS.... You can find me at the beach... I surf Malibu. Helps to live in LA though. ;) So you wanna continue the chat, that's where you'll find me if I ain't in the studio. I'm the guy out there that rips. ;)?

BTW -- hats off to you few guys not sucked into this mob mentality. You obviously have the?capacity for reasoning. (which is a very?necessary trait as a musician, and or, engineer/producer. I suspect your music is head and shoulders above these other clowns)

***FYI -- Nope, I'm not the guys above, nor am I Kelly. And yes, I know Kelly. And yes, this is my first post here. Who cares? I'd back up anyone if a bunch of kooks went into some gay-ass mob mentality mode. Anyways....? I'm always kid-surf on-line wherever I go. So....? Nope not troll'n.....?

Late..
KID-

?

witesol
audio school graduate

Post by witesol » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:39 pm

that's a KId classic!
hey, big waves out there I hear...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:58 pm

Fuck, i must be out of the loop or something...

I listened to it.. its not my taste in a song.. but its not bad sounding at all. fuck, i wish i had a mp3 of some songs i did with just 57's and 58's and a half broken fostex 1/4 8 track and give you "uhh the phase is wierd" guys something to really talk about.

cereal, i must be half deaf, cause its not bad at all sounding for the gear used and the time spent on it.

kid-surf
audio school

Post by kid-surf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:20 pm

Nope, you aren't half deaf, or even 1/3....... you are?wholly objective. Congrats dude! You can think for yourself... really you should be commended! So consider yourself commended. ;)

Kel -- yep, it's big/good right now but I have this film gig?which makes it hard to get out right now. I'll probably hit it tomorrow though. I need to blow it up. ;)

BTW -- weird?phenomenons happen on-line. I could see this thread going the complete?opposite way under different circumstances. All it'd take is for the 'top dog' around here to be the first poster and say "Hey, that's pretty cool, that's not half bad for using all 57s done in 3 hours.... which we all know (right?) isn't the most?glamourous mic in the world.?

The point is, this guy (Kel) didn't deserve to be raked over the coals like that... he's every bit a pro and has/is recording good folks. I think the lesson here is, cut people some slack and don't assume to know their?catalog for one (admitted) quick experiment.?

It'd be?different if he said "hey guys, I'm new here but this is the best recording you'll ever hear, took me three?months to get the snare right". Know what I mean?

BTW -- those of you who work under deadlines know that you gotta work quickly in real life gigs. (usually it's the home guys who spend?lengthy time, days on end for one sound, everyone else has a gun to their head, so to speak -- it's a wonder anything sounds good in that regard.)

Also --- when you are a professional. You have to sometimes record/write/perform?music you don't?necessarily like,? you may not be stoked on it but to keep your job you do it. A pro will step up to the plate and learn to like/love any project they are working on (it's got your name on it, right?). And from that perspective, I like all music, whether I hate it or not. But I don't record music (anymore), I write it.?

Anyway.............. Yeah, Kel, I'm surfing tomorrow.
Last edited by kid-surf on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

self
audio school

Post by self » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:20 pm

i must say this is a pretty bad start to my connection with tape op. I sure hope it will get better...

i have spent a lot of time over at gearslutz, but finding how misleading extremely opinionated posts can be to a relative novice i was looking for an option where people will be a little more objective... :(

i am not a fan of kelly's music, but having struggled to make decent recordings on low rent gear, i gotta say that kelly has got something right... i can also play several instruments pretty damn well, but i have never sounded as comfortable and complete as kelly. kudos again.

self.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:22 pm

Hey Kelly, thanks for popping in here. I just re-read the whole thread, and it's really only a couple people trash-talking. It's the Internet, ya know? People say and do things online that they probably wouldn't in person. I was a little surprised to see it coming from some of our veterans--you'd think they'd know better. But for some reason it's really easy to get sucked into some kind of "us vs. them" BS, even when you don't even really know who "they" are. Weird. Anyway...thanks again for speaking up, and the song contribution. It's more than many people will take the time to do.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:54 pm

witesol wrote:
joeysimms wrote:Yeah, whatever NOOB. Are you kelly maguire? You're the second jerkoff who registered to post their first post on this thread.. :lol:
sorry Joey, wrong guy. read above. very classy post by the way!

"noob", an interesting concept
Funny, George Massenburg registered at VSplanet and had one post, and probably has less than 30 now...don't you hate all these "noobs" giving their amateur opinion.
:oops:

I should've added more smiley faces or something to show I'm having a laugh here. NOOB is a joke, but I did guess correctly that your friends and you would eventually drop in to throw some back! I've nothing at all against you, I'm sorry I acted like a jerk. 'Gear Forum' over here on TapeOp always riles me up - half the crowd are just beginning and often get fed shitty advice about questionable toys, the other half have all the toys and say 'man, it's not about the toys', as they get ready to buy more..
I listened to your 57 song Joey, now I can understand where you're coming from...
I recorded it for my wife! well, they're all for her, really..
beware bee wear

FunkyBeat
audio school

Re: 2

Post by FunkyBeat » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:23 pm

jeddypoo wrote: I sure did! What I should have said is that <b>you and I</b> can make something great with only 57s, but he can do something kinda okayish.
jeddypoo,
How old are you? Have you graduated from high school yet? The reason I am asking is because I think that might explain your immature reaction to Kel's experiment... which by the way, is far better than anything I have heard from you.

Do you REALLY think you can do better than this?

I gotta tell ya man. After reading your nasty comments about Kel's experiment, I went to your website and listened to "Reversal Of A Red Bird." To put it in a nutshell, it sounds like a song from someone who is just beginning. A total novice at recording. It is nowhere in the same league as Kelly's experimental SM57 song... yet you have it posted on your website to represent how GREAT you are?

Yep. You have to be young... and for that, your ignorance is bliss.

If you are not young, then you are a sorry excuse for a musician and human being.
FunkyBeat

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." --- Bruce Lee

FirstNLast
audio school

Post by FirstNLast » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:39 pm

First and next to last post...we'll see ;)

Seriously, u gimps are just a bunch of bitter, talentless souls, hence your negative comments towards something that irregardless of your "taste" in music, was fuking viable for a "recording forum." you're a waste of space and CDR's..get a grip..get some talent..and get some class. I visited numerous recording forums and what a bunch of bitter, frustrated (by their own personal lack of talent) this place has..Dan should NEVER have posted up this fine e.g in this classless flame kettle.....99% of the ppl out there, that don't dwell, wallow here, enjoyed it..Consider yourselves part of the 2% percentile...*applause*...pathetic site and a testament to the lack of character with peeps here...

brianb
gettin' sounds

Post by brianb » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:29 am

The thread was presented as a reality check for I guess us poor slobs that just aren't there yet and blame it on the gear.

The aesthetic of TOMB is pretty much about using what gear you've got to serve the song. The thread has been, as far as I can see a reality check that pretty well sums up the aesthetic of this forum. ie
joeysimms wrote: Woe be to you who sit and listen to crap songs trying to find the 'quality' recording job.. What a waste of time.
As far as flaming goes for the most part what gets flamed on this board is arrogance.

Brian

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:44 am

well, i feel a bit responsible as i posted the first negative comment about the song, however, i think both 'sides' have over-reacted... people here on the tape-op board tend to care alot more about content than presentation, and so, i think, despite the fact that it may have been a very sweet song written for someone's wife, it did sound a bit cheesy... it's ok, though... i've posted songs people ripped up like that, it's part of being part of this big (largely) anonymous world that is the interweb. kelly, i'm sorry you had you had to find your song being so maligned, but it comes with the territory of having a song online for all to hear, with no personal association or relationship with the person to temper your response.

what a shitty thread for all you to become aquainted with the tapeop board....

anyway, i think for the most part, people who stuck to the topic did so well (direct POD guitars don't count as tracked with a 57, etc...) and there was some interweb bullshit, of course.... i wish i was worked up about one side of this enough to make a witty comment about surfing, or being 'way too busy riding the L train to get some coffee at the verb, dude' to post, but i just finished a session, and it's quite astounding the level this thread has sunk to...

so, anyway... cheesy song, but good work with only one type of microphone (save some DI/POD stuff...)

whatever.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/