The "All 57 Song"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: 2

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:17 am

I think you can make something great with just 57's!!

57's sound freaking awesome with a nice preamp from my experience..for me usually its the damn drumkit that sounds like cardboard!!
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:33 am

beard_of_bees wrote:
jeddypoo wrote:
beard_of_bees wrote:does anyone else think the sound of that recording isn't that great?

I think it sounds about right for 57's and a the daw..
No, it's not, but it makes its point- that you can make something.....kinda okayish...with just 57s. I think it could have come out a lot better, but it certainly could have come out worse.

I'm on such an anti-57 kick lately though that I can't be sure of the purity of my opinion. They make everything sound like cardboard (pre-eq).
I think you can make something great with just 57's!!

57's sound freaking awesome with a nice preamp from my experience..for me usually its the damn drumkit that sounds like cardboard!!
Of course you CAN make something great with just 57s, I've made some of my favorite recordings with just 58s (which I think slightly more useable), but I'm just sick of them. Hell, I miked a kick with a 57 recently and I thought it was a pretty decent sound. But I don't want them near my snare drums anymore. I'm goan condenser-only on that, unless I happen to be recording Dr. Teeth or something- that Animal really just bashes away carelessly.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:43 am

jeddypoo wrote:that you can make something.....kinda okayish...with just 57s. .
i guess i misunderstood then..kind of okayish = great

sorry im feeling really grumpy today so I will hop at the chance to be a prick..but you did contradict yourself..

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:48 am

beard_of_bees wrote:

sorry im feeling really grumpy today so I will hop at the chance to be a prick..but you did contradict yourself..
I sure did! What I should have said is that <b>you and I</b> can make something great with only 57s, but he can do something kinda okayish.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:14 am

jeddypoo wrote:
beard_of_bees wrote:

I sure did! What I should have said is that <b>you and I</b> can make something great with only 57s, but he can do something kinda okayish.
This was my point exactly - kelly mcguire's song blows, 57 or not. meanwhile, NKOTB is an awesome song, even when done in a halfassed manner on lowly 57 microphone.
beware bee wear

Kilgore Trout
audio school graduate

Post by Kilgore Trout » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:12 pm

This was my point exactly - kelly mcguire's song blows, 57
jessica simson's songs blows.....

brittany spears songs blows....

and they have a team of engeneering geniuses to polish the turds oh so shiny....that millions love them and their "songs".....

me thinks most of you missed the point.

shit ,I would kill to be able to record just Myself... playing drums, guitars, keys and vox......mix..........in 3 and a half hours......with $79 dollar mics...and have it sound half as good as kel's tune...

liking his tune is subjective.......

I would love to hear anyone's attempts working under the same conditions.

Just you....your tune...your instruments...your sm57's...Press record...and go.

That's what it's all about.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:23 pm

beard_of_bees wrote:I love you so much Tommy!
Hands off mo.

And check your creotian inbox dammit.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:32 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:

and they have a team of engeneering geniuses to polish the turds oh so shiny....that millions love them and their "songs".....

shit ,I would kill to be able to record just Myself... playing drums, guitars, keys and vox......mix..........in 3 and a half hours......with $79 dollar mics...and have it sound half as good as kel's tune...

I just posted a song done with 57's. IMO, it sounds great. I use sm-57's all the time. 'half as good as kel's tune' is really easy.
beware bee wear

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:34 pm

bobbydj wrote:
Hands off mo.

nothing inbox right now should there be? you don't have a copy of

Acid Ranch's As Forever LP do you?

mo..that makes me larry and you a new age kurler..or something like that..

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:50 pm

joeysimms wrote:I just posted a song done with 57's. IMO, it sounds great. I use sm-57's all the time. 'half as good as kel's tune' is really easy.
J - trashing kelly's tune doesn't make yours any better. Kelly's sounds way better than yours even though I'd use less verb, too.
beard_of_bees wrote:I try not to get involved that way too and I think your point is great..but whats worse? Expressing a trite personal opinion about the subjet at hand or criticizing someone for their right to express that opinion when its not at all on topic?
Did I say Joey has no right to be a rude ass? I dont' think so. You say I was criticizing his rights. No way. I was criticizing the way he was exercising his rights. I wonder what the point of being rude is.

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Dude- fucking relax. music is subjective - that's why there IS no right answer, just what is right for you or me. I don't give a fuck HOW you recorded something if I don't like the song. I was only speaking about kelly in jest - I don't remember anything about the song, it did not bother me in the least, it's just crap to me and that's valid enough.. Woe be to you who sit and listen to crap songs trying to find the 'quality' recording job.. What a waste of time.
beware bee wear

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:03 pm

beard_of_bees wrote:
bobbydj wrote:
Hands off mo.

nothing inbox right now should there be? you don't have a copy of

Acid Ranch's As Forever LP do you?

mo..that makes me larry and you a new age kurler..or something like that..
Man - really?? Fuck. I totally pre-menstruated you earlier today. Lemme check my sent shit.

Also I have no A-Ranch. Too crazy for me.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:16 pm

Osumosan wrote:
joeysimms wrote:I just posted a song done with 57's. IMO, it sounds great. I use sm-57's all the time. 'half as good as kel's tune' is really easy.
J - trashing kelly's tune doesn't make yours any better. Kelly's sounds way better than yours even though I'd use less verb, too.
beard_of_bees wrote:I try not to get involved that way too and I think your point is great..but whats worse? Expressing a trite personal opinion about the subjet at hand or criticizing someone for their right to express that opinion when its not at all on topic?
Did I say Joey has no right to be a rude ass? I dont' think so. You say I was criticizing his rights. No way. I was criticizing the way he was exercising his rights. I wonder what the point of being rude is.
you know what I mean..and your steering the thread off topic again..I thought you didn't like that?

don't make me upset..I really don't deserve this treatment..If you knew how horrible my life is you would feel bad..I'm right and your wrong..nanana poopoo..Oh crap the teacher is comming were going to get in trouble..

lol..

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:32 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:

I agree in principle, but seeing as what I spend half of my time doing is recording my one-man-band stuff with mediocre equipment, I'm not being defensive, nor am I terribly impressed. I mean, the recording was alright, I didn't like the song, and I think I could do better, easily, and I think a lot of people could. A lot of people could do worse, to. I don't know what my point is.

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:16 pm

on the count of three everyone say your sorry....