The "All 57 Song"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

witesol
audio school graduate

Post by witesol » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:55 am

Tatertot wrote:When you put something out there and let it run free (your song, for example) you are exposing yourself to scrutiny and criticism. Deal with it somehow (besides saying that you don't think it's valid to criticize a finished work).

You must enjoy the attention or you wouldn't keep coming back here for more.
I still think you should have used the 57 on guitars instead of just using the POD. Then it would all have that 57 sonic imprint, whatever that means. That would have been more interesting.

Scrutiny and criticism: Obviously. This was covered many posts ago. Old news.

enjoying attention: seems you come back to read if someone resonded to your post as well. we're all here doing the same. I'm more of an information junkie than attention, and usually not interested when it's vomit and song-sucking as it relates to my material!

to clarify. I posted this for VSplanet only. Dot ran with it to studioforums.com and I told him to go ahead. It ended up on 9 or so different forums. This was the only one I signed up for and made some comments.

I'm flattered that over 2000 downloads and 5000 page hits to the article has perhaps sparked some conversation and self-evaluation.

as far as 57 on guitar; how much more interesting? the 57 is sort of a go-to mic with an amp anyhow. It would have sounded better probably. Out of 16 tracks 3 weren't 57s. If anything the bass would have been more of a challenge to record with one than E guitar. Point made.
Last edited by witesol on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sure, that's one way to do it

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:01 am

I dunno. All this "brotherhood of musicians" (for Chrissake) and "artists don't insult other artists" stuff just don't wash. If you have enough conviction in your art, you could give a rats ass what anyone else has to say about it. If you can't take criticism, don't create.

BTW, I thought the recording was very nice. I didn't care much for the song. Then again, I'd rather put on Albert Ayler than Wynton Marsalis, so there ya go.

witesol
audio school graduate

Post by witesol » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:24 am

votemiles wrote:I dunno. All this "brotherhood of musicians" (for Chrissake) and "artists don't insult other artists" stuff just don't wash. If you have enough conviction in your art, you could give a rats ass what anyone else has to say about it. If you can't take criticism, don't create.
sure, freedom of speech and all. Conviction in art. Sure.

It's just my stance, not for everyone. In my opinion there's something more tasteful and honorable about not giving your unsolicited opinion at every oppurtunity. If someone truly asks I give them my opinion, without insult. Does it give everyone carte' blanche, or grant unlimited license for everyone's comments...just because you made something available? Perhaps. Whether you can or should are two different decisions to me. You can't do this biz without thick skin. People can say whatever they want about my art, but that won't stop me from judging whether the comment was in poor taste or tacky.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:46 am

but that won't stop me from judging whether the comment was in poor taste or tacky.
Sure. People can be assholes. But in my opinion, there's something more tasteful and honourable about shrugging off criticism with a grin, rather than spending nine pages with your buddies wagging fingers at people for being tacky and tasteless over what they thought of your song. Bit drama-queenish for me.

Still, it's just my stance, not for everyone.

:roll: [/quote]

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:58 am

word

witesol
audio school graduate

Post by witesol » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:00 am

Nice sarcasm Votemiles, I can appreciate that.
I know one guy on this thread. Had lunch with him once for an hour two years ago. As far as finger pointing, you're not referring to me. Read again. I've made many comments and attempts to steer this back to the topic of recording. This is tiring, probably the most OT I've made in years.

witesol
audio school graduate

Post by witesol » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:04 am

votemiles wrote: But in my opinion, there's something more tasteful and honourable about shrugging off criticism with a grin,
true. good point. I'm done.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

e

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:35 am

Apparently over the weekend I missed some more fun messageboard histrionics. I am personally honored to have been bashed on some random other messageboard due to my comments, which were, incidentally, not made with the purpose of hurting anyone's feelings. I mean are we allowed to not like some stuff? Why does the internet bring out the worst in people socially? Because it's easy to be mean-spirited when you can't seem someone elses face, I suppose.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:04 pm

It's not just the anonymity, it's that statements in writing seem very official. You have something that can be read; a typed-out sentence for all to read. As a result, everything is taken more seriously. As if what you're saying is more than an opinion; as if it's somehow a fact. I'd like to think people would eventually figure this out and not take everything so seriously, but hey. Boobs.

As for the song, it's not my bag (and I mention this first because it's how I listen to music ... songs and recordings are often so tied that I'll consider a new recording a new song). The recording is nice, in a general sense, but it lacks character. I don't remember anything about it. And this isn't because of the "only 57" thing. It's that there are no risks taken with the recording. No suprises. Sometimes it's the thing that's atypical, particularly in something like a love song, that makes it memorable. Maybe the drums could've been distorted. Maybe the guitars could have been really gritty, for contrast. Maybe the second verse could have had the drums reamped through a busted old tube amp, then layered with as many shaker tracks as possible. But as it is -- it does sound nice for the gear that was used, but it's also really safe. It's a recording, but not a particularly creative one.

That's my opinion. Now, if you want me to provide a link to my music to see whether my opinions are valid or whatever, let me know.
I am wangtacular.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

e

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:11 pm

there you go, very well said.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:18 pm

Bear wrote:Boobs.
See, here's where the difference of opinion comes in. Most people on the internet call those "titties".

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:24 pm

toothpastefordinner wrote:
See, here's where the difference of opinion comes in. Most people on the internet call those "titties".
I went to your webpage and have decided that your opinion sucks.
I am wangtacular.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:06 pm

This thread is hurting my feelings, and I'm not really involved with it.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:07 pm

Bear wrote:
Oh yeah?

I went to YOUR website and 18 billion black angels peed on me. I'm waiting to see what my friends say before I decide if that's a good thing or not.
beware bee wear

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:31 pm

joeysimms wrote:
Bear wrote:
Oh yeah?

I went to YOUR website and 18 billion black angels peed on me. I'm waiting to see what my friends say before I decide if that's a good thing or not.
*waits*
I am wangtacular.