Let's see your space!! Looking for pictures of small studios

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:18 am

Dude, your monitors are behind your monitors.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:24 am

John Jeffers wrote:Dude, your monitors are behind your monitors.
Just a teeny bit! I know, I need to move some things around so I can readjust the monitor shelves and widen them out a few inches more. I honestly don't think it affects the sound that much, but then again, I have a lot to learn. I also would like to move the monitors out from the wall more, but I don't think that will happen any time soon, due to the monster desk we have.

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:21 pm

touched1 wrote:
Ryan Ferris wrote:Here's my humble setup:

http://www.happyfuntimerecording.com/photos.html

-Ryan
Nice.
I bet that upstairs live room sounds great for drums.
Yeah, it does. Unfortunately the neighbors seem to like it a lot better when I track downstairs in the basement. I have to save it for the good bands!

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:16 pm

here's mine:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:here's mine:
i really like the looks of that.. i was checking it (your web site) the other day.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:33 pm

hauser, is that a King Radio drum kit? I have a King Radio snare and bass drum (old ones, not the new line), and my kick looks just like the one in that pick. Same color even.

It also looks like workshed else had my V-Club kit! hehe

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:34 pm

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote: It also looks like workshed else had my V-Club kit! hehe
Yeah, almost! I have the V-Compact kit. I use it mostly for practicing, as I can't seem to get it to feel or sound right for recording. I wish I could afford a small cocktail kit to have around here for recording. It's a pain to break down my Rogers kit and bring it home from the band practice space.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:29 am

Ya, the electric kits don't have the same feel as an acoustic kit. I can't fit my full acoustic kit in my little room though, but my V-Club fits great. I've used it for recording many times. Usually I'll use a dry kit and add some reverb and a little compression (maybe even some tape sim). When I have a large mix, I'll record the MIDI performance while I play the V-Club, then go back and seperate each kit piece to its own MIDI track, and then play those MIDI tracks individually back through the TD-6 while recording a new audio track. That way I can mix each piece seperately. For smaller mixes, I just record the audio as I play it (stereo). It's great because my studio space is just a spare bedroom in my house. I can use headphones, or my PA. No pissing off the neighbors with acoustic drums (although I do miss them very much).

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:19 am

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote:hauser, is that a King Radio drum kit? I have a King Radio snare and bass drum (old ones, not the new line), and my kick looks just like the one in that pick. Same color even.
oh christ, i dont even know, im not really a drummer, dont know much about them..ill try and find out tho
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:24 am

Still working on it... but getting closer to "done"...

still waiting to build some bass traps. Almost an entire wall is books, 2 others covered with heavy drapes, and one exposed wood. If I had a way to make a control room I'd be ecstatic (could better work the two sides of the room, one more live, the other dead) but I'm content as is... a room lacking distinct sound is easier to manage than one that violently asserts its poor acoustics in every mix...

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:03 pm

Its set up a little nicer than this now, but it'll give you an idea. Room is miniscule, like 10x12 or something.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:43 am

Follow this link and find the photos section to see some pics
of my place: The Habitat

http://www.thehabitat.info

Roy

rockstar_not
audio school graduate

Post by rockstar_not » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:19 am

Here's the room in panoramic view:

And some of my home-made DiY acoustics treatment - anti-flutter device on the wall, and a huge bass trap that I turn around to use as a gobo while tracking vocals/acoustic guitar.

The other side of the gobo:

It's a shared space with my wife's medical transcription work, her scrapbooking/stamping hobby, home office, etc.

I spent alot of time isolating the room from the rest of the house - it's in the basement - ceiling is sheetrock suspended from floor joists above with resilient channel for mechanical isolation. Absorption in the form of 4" fiberglass between joists, soundblocker board nailed to the joists, 4" fiberglass between wall studs, shared walls are dual wall construction; 1/2" drywall on one side, 5/8" drywall on the other so they don't have shared resonance frequencies, etc.

Works well enough - HVAC was the only thing I couldn't really take care of. Wife doesn't like it because it ruined the natural communication ability between the room above and that one. I really need a defeat-able intercom system that blinks a light when she or my kids need to get my attention.

-Scott
Thank God for guitars.

My SoundCloud site

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:38 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:here's mine:
YOU FORGOT THE TARGET LAMP.
beware bee wear

DJ RELAX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DJ RELAX » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:06 pm