Surround Sound mp3s

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:04 pm

What's Q-sound? How does it differ from binaural recording? That's something I want to get into soon.

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:58 am

If you're not a believer yet, pick up the Talking Heads "brick" box set and put on "Remain In Light". That album was MADE for surround-sound. Or pick up either of two titles on Harmonia Mundi: Brahm's German Requiem or Faure's Requiem.

Surround sound is the best thing that's happened to my ears since DCC starting releasing gold CDs.

As for delivery, you can always do a 5.1 dolby digital version of your stuff on a DVD with menus for a background. Anyone with a surround system will be able to enjoy it, though it's not hi-rez.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:30 am

Ah, that's anyone with a surround system and a DVD player that will read DVD-r discs. Alas my '97 vintage Pioneer does not.

-J

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:08 am

Jeremy,

That's the most encourging idea in delivery I've heard in some time, best of luck guy.

There are free-bee SQ + QS decorder plugs out there for the Google. (note to the younger crowd - those are surround encoding schemes for LPs from the dark old '70's). Check your local used record stores for titles.

Maybe the lack of corporate clue is an opportunity for TOers to take the reins!

DAWs and forgotten technology - Could this be the future of retro?

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:40 am

Yeah, I gotta say that while I love DTS & MLP and can tolerate Dolby, I'm really bummed about delivery. I thought I reached a great point with CDRs when I got my first Masterlink and had pretty much 100% playback compatability, even on some truly ancient CD players. Then along came cheap DVD players that replaced CD players in many a home stereo, but couldn't play my CDRs, and I started getting customer complaints again. Nothing worse than, "it will play in my cheap little portable CD walkman and my car, but it won't play in my $500 DVD player." Even worse really since I was working at a home hi-fi dealer at the time.
If I record a concert in surround and give Grandma a surround encoded CD that says "DO NOT PLAY ON CONVENTIONAL CD PLAYERS - DVD PLAYERS ONLY" you know she'll try to put it in the car player, and it won't just get spit out, it will actually play static. And if they put it in the DVD player, and the player doesn't read CDRs - or DVDRs, well shit.

The only other real encouraging format I've seen is the SRS Circle Surround. This one is still a double-ended system, but it is like an update of the old Pro Logic system. It takes 5.1 and encodes into an analog, 2-channel mix that sounds just great as a 2-channel mix. And it decodes into a pretty accurate version of the original 5.1 mix. It's not discrete by any means, but it's something I can deliver on a standard CDR, that will play as stereo on a standard CD, and can be decoded on one of like 10-million SRS capable players or receivers out there.

I think that if I really start to pursue this in earnest, my two standard delivery methods to the masses will be the binaural-mapped stereo tracks for portable players and the SRS analog encode for standard CDs.
And I'll reserve the Disc Welder DVD-Audio discs for clients who understand the technology.

-Jeremy

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:49 am

when i listen to music its usually one room over at least from the stereo while cooking or doing dishes. sometimes i turn my stereo up really loud and open all the windows of my shack and listen while bbqing and drinking beer.

surround sound has not changed my world, but mp3s have. much less leaving the room and flipping over records.