;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:31 pm

Rock/Roll killed Bonzo though, too ...

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:04 pm

Tatertot wrote:Q: How many bass players to change a lightbulb?

A: 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5 etc.
ANSWER #2: 3 of them... 1 to screw it in and 2 to say "I could do that better."

As a drummer myself I am more partial to the chalky sound of the funk era drummers of the 70's. crisp cymbal and high hat tones, rounded out toms, and a good but not overbearing kick.
Big drums however, if you don't like em' take every Nirvana album you own and burn it, Dave Grohl redifined the big drum sound, and it sounded great to me.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Re: the zeppelin joke

Post by Snarky » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:53 pm

maxadocious wrote:DUDE... Zeppelin is a sweet band. The "joke" is just appreciating the campiness of the band. I believe what that other dude was referring to was that a lot of people take music really seriously, you know... people like Wilco fans. People who say they like Radiohead (I should give up on that one... I think I'm the only person who hates Radiohead); they think it's gotta be all dark and emo. They don't know how to just kick back and get the Led out. I mean "Whole lotta Love" is a good song, it's about a big dick, but it's awesome... that is to say AND it's awesome. I mean, shit! I wish I had the balls to write a song about that.
Dude, Radiohead bored the shit outta me. Our bass player/singer always tries to get me to like it, and I try, but I hate it. I like two tunes, "paranoid andriod" and "karma police" but "creep" is gay grunge and I can live without sleepytime. But when I try to get him to like Deep Purple, The Darkness, or DRI, I get the same reaction. To each his own, I guess. But you are not alone> Radiohead is pretensious and boring. And U2 and Bob Seeger can jump in a lake.
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:29 pm

Monkeyfist wrote: As a drummer myself I am more partial to the chalky sound of the funk era drummers of the 70's. crisp cymbal and high hat tones, rounded out toms, and a good but not overbearing kick.
You mean like John Guerin on the Joni Mitchell albums?

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:07 pm

Tatertot wrote: You mean like John Guerin on the Joni Mitchell albums?
More like the Joel O'Brien or Russ Kunkel on Tapestry (Carole King). I feel the earth move under my feet...
But with a more poppy snare, and better sounding toms. I guess build it like so:
Dennis Chambers' Toms,
O'Brien or Kunkel's Kick and cymbals,
Terrence Higgins' (Dirty Dozen Brass Band) Snare
And that's... The game!
Last edited by Monkeyfist on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

Hee-man
audio school graduate

Post by Hee-man » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:49 pm

maxadocious wrote:I mean "Whole lotta Love" is a good song, it's about a big dick, but it's awesome... that is to say AND it's awesome. I mean, shit! I wish I had the balls to write a song about that.
LZ pretty much ripped off the lyrics from a Willie Dixon tune ("You Need Love"). Plagiarism is the real heart of rock 'n' roll (regardless of what Huey Lewis says).

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:28 pm

Hee-man wrote:
maxadocious wrote:I mean "Whole lotta Love" is a good song, it's about a big dick, but it's awesome... that is to say AND it's awesome. I mean, shit! I wish I had the balls to write a song about that.
LZ pretty much ripped off the lyrics from a Willie Dixon tune ("You Need Love"). Plagiarism is the real heart of rock 'n' roll (regardless of what Huey Lewis says).
I think they said in the Song Remains the Same movie somewhere that they should have been pirates because they were so good at stealing. who cares...they were still kick ass and their stealing is nothing compared to hip/hop thievery.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:21 pm

Monkeyfist wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Q: How many bass players to change a lightbulb?

A: 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5 etc.
ANSWER #2: 3 of them... 1 to screw it in and 2 to say "I could do that better."

As a drummer myself I am more partial to the chalky sound of the funk era drummers of the 70's. crisp cymbal and high hat tones, rounded out toms, and a good but not overbearing kick.
Big drums however, if you don't like em' take every Nirvana album you own and burn it, Dave Grohl redifined the big drum sound, and it sounded great to me.
totally on the Grohl when it comes to the Killing Joke record he played drums on. fuck, those drums sound awesome and are played fucking ace.

SMC Productions
alignin' 24-trk

Post by SMC Productions » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Grady wrote:Personally I hate large drum sounds where the kick it totally fucking badass sounding and the toms are wide open. I strive for really thin dead drumsounds with 0 ambience.
Shit! THAT'S what I've been doing wrong! :roll:
Calcitra Clunis
http://smcstudios.we.bs/

max cooper
audio school graduate

Post by max cooper » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:43 pm

I remember Keith Richards saying a similar thing about the electric bass.

His theory was that in the early days of rock and roll, the guys who had drumkits often had swing and/or big band experience so they would bring that to the table.

The double-bass wasn't very loud so the drummer would just do his thing. Which often was to swing.

When the electric bass arrived on the scene, all of a sudden the drummer could hear the bass player, who would often be playing eighth-notes but since the drummer could hear the bass player, the drummer would switch from swing to straight-eights.

Which is allegedly what turned rock and roll into rock.

Who knows? Nice theory, though.

I think Led Zep drum sounds are good for Led Zeppelin. But I usually prefer the Charlie Watts ethic.

It's all good for something, though.

.:.impossible
audio school graduate

Post by .:.impossible » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:57 pm

Which brings us almost full-circle... Brian Jones wore blouses and quit making music well before Plant was on the scene. It wasn't a joke. It was high fashion. High being an operative word there.

Frankie Swell
audio school

Post by Frankie Swell » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:57 pm

.:.impossible wrote: Brian Jones wore blouses and quit making music well before Plant was on the scene. It wasn't a joke.
Terrible comparison.

Brian Jones was all about style and fashion. Chicago blues to Swingin' London. He understood the subtleties of context. Jones could actually get away with dressing like a peacock because he was an original.

It's like comparing Muddy Waters to Robert Plant as musicians.

But back to the thread.

Page is a great producer. I'm really glad he recorded drums that way. It acuallly took a while for the live drums in a room sound to catch on. When I first started working in studios in the late 70's drums were isolated and baffled, with tape all over the heads and wallets on the snare.

sammyp
audio school graduate

Re: "Led Zeppelin" drum sounds have ruined rock 'n

Post by sammyp » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 pm

takeout wrote:Yeah, I said it. And I'm right. "Lead drums".

This thread is gonna be awesome.

Loop based song writing is killing music today! I think loops sound cool but when people base the song writing around em it's garbage, really sticks out, you can hear the lack of song.
Sonar, Pro Tools , Sound Forge

.:.impossible
audio school graduate

Post by .:.impossible » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:03 pm

Frankie Swell wrote:
.:.impossible wrote: Brian Jones wore blouses and quit making music well before Plant was on the scene. It wasn't a joke.
Terrible comparison.

Brian Jones was all about style and fashion. Chicago blues to Swingin' London. He understood the subtleties of context. Jones could actually get away with dressing like a peacock because he was an original.

It's like comparing Muddy Waters to Robert Plant as musicians.

But back to the thread.

Page is a great producer. I'm really glad he recorded drums that way. It acuallly took a while for the live drums in a room sound to catch on. When I first started working in studios in the late 70's drums were isolated and baffled, with tape all over the heads and wallets on the snare.
I wasn't comparing their music though. And I don't think blouses have anything to do with music or originality. I was comparing their penchant for women's clothing. Plant was not the first to do many things, wearing a blouse being one of them. Brian Jones as well for that matter.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:26 pm

wait til you try leathur pants, that will get you tone like mad fuck.