I was mad at apple, and now I'm venting on the internets.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

I was mad at apple, and now I'm venting on the internets.

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:59 pm

I've been buying macs for years...ya know lusting after the BS.

So, I bought an Imac yesterday, and voila, today it's the same price and twice as fast. So, I call the local mac store, and I'm in luck! I can pay a 15% restocking fee and get the new one. So, for making the mistake of buying mac pre-Macworld, I can pay $1500 for a computer that costs everyone $1300.

The store called it a restocking fee; fortunately, the manager didn't insult and fessed up to the more realistic "we're going to lose money on this computer fee."

The store also claims that Apple offers a "Price Match Guarantee" for anyone who bought an imac after 12/31/05. But guess what, the salesguy at Apple told me it doesn't appear that the slower computers' prices will drop.

You'd think that a business, founded on it relationship with schools and creative developers, would have some sort of reasonable transitional policy. Or that a business that sold 6 million more ipods than even it projected, enjoyed double stock growth (still considered undervalued!), and sold 850 million itunes last year, might fucking drop the price like, $100 on yesterday's news.

Wow, this gives whole new meaning to Apple "Lossless".

Fuck Apple.
Last edited by thearnicasync on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:11 pm

What has this got to do with Digidesign exactly?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

robmix
pluggin' in mics

Post by robmix » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:54 pm

I totally feel for you, that does suck pretty bad. Most of us mac users know not to buy any computer within a couple months of Macworld unless it's an absolute emergency and it will pay for itself. I'd keep an eye on the price match thing, I'm sure the slower macs will drop in price - they always have. Otherwise take it back and pay the restocking fee. You could also have words with your salesman - asshole comes to mind. Like the guy couldn't have said anything.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:15 pm

Sorry...duped post.
Last edited by thearnicasync on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:20 pm

robmix wrote:I totally feel for you, that does suck pretty bad. Most of us mac users know not to buy any computer within a couple months of Macworld unless it's an absolute emergency and it will pay for itself. I'd keep an eye on the price match thing, I'm sure the slower macs will drop in price - they always have. Otherwise take it back and pay the restocking fee. You could also have words with your salesman - asshole comes to mind. Like the guy couldn't have said anything.
Thanks. It's not like I don't think the computer is worth $1500. I think it's a "bargain" at $1300. It's just bad business. To add insult to injury, I just went to CompUsa to buy some RAM, and they - corporate giants - don't charge a we're-going-to-loose-money fee.

I went to the local mac store 'cause it's owned locally, along with another regional reseller. I knew there could be a restocking fee...originally they said like $50 bucks...enough to pay somebody to restore the software and re-box it. Whatever, that's fine. $200? Seriously, it's hard for me to think I'll go back to them, no matter how local they are.

Grrrr.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:23 pm

thearnicasync wrote:
dwlb wrote:What has this got to do with Digidesign exactly?
dwlb wrote:What has this got to do with Digidesign exactly?
What does this have to do with my immature pain? Me, Me, Me.

:?

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:02 pm

always check Mac rumor

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:16 pm

hey where did you by it?? 15% restocking fee i know circuit city does this... but if you got it yesterday n returned it today i dont think that applies, sounds like you need to speak with the store manager, and look at there policy again... they guy that sold it to yous gonna lose the money when you return it as well as the store, id return it just to make a point, plus or minus the 15% ......
is it beer 30 yet?????

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Yep

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Yeah, I am going to return it. Good luck selling yesterday's imac "open box" for $1300.

Apparently the VP is calling on Friday, and if he decides to screw me, then the internet campaign begins. I think people on Craigslist, macprices.com, et. al should be aware that they make their money that way. I'm not saying it's wrong. Oh wait, yes I am, and at least three prospective buyers will go to CompUsa instead of the place if I stay at it long enough. So for mac store it will hopefully be $200 = $-4000.

Oh well, back to making music and having fun.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:23 pm

Well, I am just about to by a new G5 and I will surely boycott the store that's gonna screw you. Again, where did you but it?

Feel free to add me to the list!! Good luck!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:04 am

but, why "fuck you, Apple" when your being ripped off by a reseller?
this isn't Apple's fault.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:02 am

Well, it may not end up being their fault, if they intend to lower the price on old stock imac g5's. The sales person I talked to said they don't plan to do that. I think they'll take total advantage of the ipod generation that says give me an imac...i don't care as long as it surfs the web and I can watch dvd's on it in my dorm room.

And in some ways it's their fault anyway, because they've stuck resellers with a bunch of computers they can't sell, because new models are that much better and the same price.

I should've checked Mac Rumor.

marc
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by marc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:52 am

I can completely sympathize with your troubles with the retailer, but I really, really would like to know why you thought it might be a good idea the day before Macworld, especially if you've been buying Macs for years. I've only ever bought one Mac in my life, but I know that while prices will usually never go *down* the day after Macworld, the performance/dollar almost always goes up. I mean, that's seriously like going Christmas shopping the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and being pissed at stores for having crazy sales on Black Friday like it's never happened in the history of retail.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:14 am

It's bad business, that's why. You shouldn't have to go to rumor sites and role the dice when you buy a computer. Some mac dorks really enjoy that, but I don't really want to take the time. Why, to support Apple, should I have to stay in touch with the speculation of this year's MacWorld. Isn't it enough to walk in with the cash you earn and buy the fucking thing? Apparenly, that's not enough for Apple.

And, this jump in price/performance is over the top. A 2.3ghz processor. Who cares? But dual processing for same price as Monday's single is insulting, especially when they're not likely discounting older models.

Sorry to disagree, but I don't think the retail analogy totally applies. In some ways, yes, but I think even in the worst sectors of retail, they'll do more than Apple currently is for its customers.

I know, I know.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:29 am

My past two macs have been refurbs from the previous years. I've been very happy to save 20 - 30% not to be on the bleeding edge. These days, it's only a matter of months before any computer component you buy is outdated. It's a fact of computer life. Your sell-by-date came fast though and I feel for you. By the way, I would have waited to see what the response is to the intel hardware and for the subsequent hardware refinements - also not to bleed on the edge. That's just me. Plus I've been into using the Wormhole plug-in to spread processing power around.

I can't think of any way apple could release new product otherwise and not lose their own shirt. Caveat emptor, etc. Plus, along the lines of my buying philosophy, the iMac you bought works, right?