I was mad at apple, and now I'm venting on the internets.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:38 pm

I am personally very very happy that I bought a used dual 1.42 G4 180 GB (FW800) for $950 rather than a 2 ghz G5 for five hundred more which might have actually been slower and was definitely going to cause problems in transitioning. I think high-end used Macs are definitely the way to go, because they often eschew a lot of these issues. Just sayin'.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:27 pm

thearnicasync,
get over yourself. It's just a f#$ing computer.

I work for a reseller and WE did not know that Apple was going to do that with an imac. No one did. I was on the phone with the call center in Austin when the announcement was made. i was reading the announcements to him because PEOPLE IN THE APPLE CALL CENTER DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING TO BE ANNOUNCED.

So give the store a break. The reason Compusa did not charge you restock on RAM, is first off, because it's just fu#kin RAM, and second, because they are a national big box store that gets better deals with vendors than smaller local stores, they can absorb returns easier than an independent.

Sorry to go off on you like this, but I have worked for independent Mac Stores for years, and I hear this complaint a lot.

The smarter thing to do would have been to check with this board BEFORE purchasing your computer. Anyone who follows Apple knows that you never buy just before a trade show, especially when jobs is doing a keynote.

That aside, you should always know that when you buy your computer, a faster better, cheaper one is just around the corner. This is the reality of modern technology.

Having said all that. I do feel your pain. But I've become very numb to it over the years.

Enjoy your new intel box when you get it. Seriously. It'll be nice. Just keep in mind it will take the software world a few months to catch up with the new technology.
Last edited by touched1 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:36 pm

exactly how long before a price/model change do you expect any company to keep informed? Are you implying that they should be required to tell you that a new model is coming out three months before they release it? They would lose all of their sales for three months, as well as have a ton of extra older-model computers around that they have to drop the price on.

It obviously sucks to find out that you could have gotten a better deal by waiting a day, however that's not anybody's fault except your own for choosing to buy the computer when you did. You still thought the computer was a good deal yesterday. Does that fact that there's a better deal make it a worse computer today? On top of that it's not even in the slightest bit the decision of the manager at the specific store you went to. He gets his orders from higher up as well, and I very much doubt he can do anything about it, unless he just wants to take a loss of some money on his record in order to stop your bothering him.

Again - I've had this happen to me. It sucks. But they're always going to be releasing new models. If you were running apple, what exactly would you be doing differently?

sorry for the rant, I don't do it often, but nobody else seemed to want to be the devils advocate.

-marc

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:00 pm

thearnicasync wrote:It's bad business, that's why. You shouldn't have to go to rumor sites and role the dice when you buy a computer. Some mac dorks really enjoy that, but I don't really want to take the time. Why, to support Apple, should I have to stay in touch with the speculation of this year's MacWorld. Isn't it enough to walk in with the cash you earn and buy the fucking thing? Apparenly, that's not enough for Apple.
Welcome to the world of technology, it changes in the blink of an eye.

An uninformed buyer is one who will be taken advantage of. This is as much your fault as it is anyone elses. Apparantly walking in with the money you earned and buying the fucking thing is enough for Apple.

I'm not saying that the way they're handling this situation doesn't suck, because it does and I hope they resolve it for you, but in all honesty you can't be naive enough to trust that all these companies are looking out for your best interest. That's nobodies duty but your own. I know that if I'm dropping a couple grand on something I'm sure as hell going to do some research first.

Best of luck to you.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm

I love apple.

Can anyone tell me when to buy stocks? They might go up tomorrow, I dunno... Should I sell tomorrow?

Such is business, such is life.

I love apple, Iactually own stock in the company. I have believed in them throughout, and now that they are rocking, I STILL believe in them.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:50 pm

By the way, totally sweet title of this thread. Thank god my dear grandmother doesnt read this crap....

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:23 am

touched1 wrote:thearnicasync,

I work for a reseller and WE did not know that Apple was going to do that with an imac. No one did. I was on the phone with the call center in Austin when the announcement was made. i was reading the announcements to him because PEOPLE IN THE APPLE CALL CENTER DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING TO BE ANNOUNCED.

So give the store a break.
Fair enough, and yeah, when I posted I was angry and I'll take it down a notch. And it's all my mistake.

That said, I think I should help people be aware that if they can't be informed buyers, they can at least be informed consumers:

The portland mac store (Oregon, Lloyd Center area) charges a 15% restocking fee. CompUsa on 82nd doesn't on macs. And, the restocking fee was "around $50 - 60 at the mac store, unless you thrash it" before the announcement of new imacs. Now it's $200. CompUsa was more fun anyway.

So I'll get over myself if you do. There are two perspectives, you have your's and mine saves people money. But thanks.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:27 am

sonikbliss wrote:but in all honesty you can't be naive enough to trust that all these companies are looking out for your best interest. That's nobodies duty but your own. I know that if I'm dropping a couple grand on something I'm sure as hell going to do some research first.
So true. I guess I'd hoped a "local" business would look out for my interests more than CompUsa. That's a personal gripe, though, and I'm done with it.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:03 am

Thanks Portland Mac Store.

All resolved...manager called, explained that he's totally willing to make it fair. I wasn't his first call. Three cheers.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:47 am

joel hamilton wrote:I love apple.

Can anyone tell me when to buy stocks? They might go up tomorrow, I dunno... Should I sell tomorrow?

Such is business, such is life.

I love apple, Iactually own stock in the company. I have believed in them throughout, and now that they are rocking, I STILL believe in them.
Hopefully Joel, as moderator, you deduce from the thread that I love Apple too...at least the technology. :?

It's the hyped world domination thing, and the indicative business plan that are frustrating when you do something stupid like I did. And sorry, I can edit the title if it's too offensive for the board or whatever.

RE: Stock. Considering this year's plan, it looks like P/E ratio is going up...even with all the hype, it's still undervalued according to most. Buy, buy, buy.

kb

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:22 pm

Buy, buy, buy.
Yes, please do!
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:30 pm

thearnicasync wrote:
touched1 wrote:thearnicasync,

So give the store a break.
Fair enough, and yeah, when I posted I was angry and I'll take it down a notch. And it's all my mistake.

That said, I think I should help people be aware that if they can't be informed buyers, they can at least be informed consumers:

The portland mac store (Oregon, Lloyd Center area) charges a 15% restocking fee. CompUsa on 82nd doesn't on macs. And, the restocking fee was "around $50 - 60 at the mac store, unless you thrash it" before the announcement of new imacs. Now it's $200. CompUsa was more fun anyway.

So I'll get over myself if you do. There are two perspectives, you have your's and mine saves people money. But thanks.
wow!! you can actually save money by going to big box corporate reatilers?!?!
you've truly done the forum a service by pointing this out.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:25 pm

No, you moron. I'm pointing out that local companies that market their locality are sometimes likely to deliver poorer service than the "big box corporate retailers".

And for the record, the guy at compusa was infinitely cool. The woman behind the cash register was infintely cool. They played in bands. Actually, they knew more about software than the mac store geniuses. Here was my experience at the Portland Mac Store:

"Hi, I'm wondering if you have the 20" imacs advertised on the site?...I had a couple of quick questions (video ram wasn't indicated).

Goatee mac store guy response: "Would you like apple care with that?"

Next, some pimple face, 20 yr. old Malkmus lookalike mac store employee heads over to the nearest G5 and starts blaring Modest Mouse to a store full of soccer moms and like rocking out so people could see. Dude, where's my restocking fee?

So leave me alone, please. I haven't attacked you, yet.

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:55 am

I always spend $2000 without doing any reasearch whatsoever.

You can't blame Apple for your own oversight.
The intel macs were announced last year,
and if you're a professional using a mac, you ought to have known that MacWorld was happening.

It's just silly to thing that buying a computer the day before a trade show won't yeild any regrets.

One google search for "mac buyers guide" would've lead you here:
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Should you have to keep up with Apple rumors and whatnot to buy a nice mac? Of course not, and you don't. The G5 iMacs are sweet. But if you want to be secure with the best purchace you can with Apple or ANY product (especially tech stuff that costs a lot), you need to do at least a little looking into the product.

Still, you won't be able to run any pro apps until the end of March, so you've got 3 months worth of most hi-tech applications not working fully to wait through.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:53 am

Thank you for changing the name of the thread.