Joemeek higher-end

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by matta » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:02 am

Hey Folks,

I am part of an organization called GAPSA (Guild of Audio Proffesionals South Africa) and last year we conducted an informal mic pre shoot out including gear from Millennia, Avalon (), Summit, Trident (original 80B channels strips), Lavry, Presonus, RME, Joe Meek and a couple others I can't recall right now.

For the money I thought the Joe Meek TwinQ was exceptional. So much so it prompted me to contact Alan and tell him so. For a 'budget' box it really outperformed it's 'price' battle class.

I like the way Alan and the guys at PMI were able to offer a transformer coupled input, there is no other piece of gear in this price range that offers that that I am aware of and it really does add a bit of 'depth' to the Burr Brown.

Throw in a nice Opto Compressor that can go from smooth to just plain out wacky and nice sounding 'bread & butter' EQ and you get 2 VERY usable channels without breaking the bank.

Plus it has digitial I/O for integrating into/with a lot of DAW/Digital based studio's. Not sure how you can mock it at all for what you are getting and the price point?

If anyone is looking for a nice workhorse channel strip, in this case a DUAL strip and are on a budget I'd say check out the Twin Q.

I forgot to add that I slated Alan on another Forum and I'll paraphrased but it was along the lines of 'I'm not sure the new units will live up to the 'old' Ted Fletcher era' and I went back and made an apology because I think they do, and offer more features for your money in the newer unit.

At the end of the day specs of paper mean little to nothing, get a box, try it out and see if you like it, if you do, buy it.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com

CharlesM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CharlesM » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:04 am

I was getting a little worried there, but thanks to those of you that actually responded to my questions, even if they weren't all specifically about the TwinQ.

I'm kinda leaning toward this unit. For some reason the Focusrite stuff doesn't draw me. The new Meek stuff seems like it has a lot of personality, for better and worse, but the "better" of it seems to be dominant.

If anyone else has some real-world experience with the TwinQ or at least in using this latest generation of Meek units, please dish. $700-$800 isn't easy money for me, so I want to get it right.

Thanks,
Chuck

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:57 am

I have the TwinQCS - the older version - and I love it. The stepped compressor takes a while to figure out (as opposed to a simple ratio/attack/release format) but it works well. I typically use it for bass guitar and some vocals. It does exactly what I want it to.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:02 am

chuck...

it's too bad the thread derailed so quickly for you.

i own an older joe meek british channel (pre pmi).

it's pretty cool on some things, tons of gain, colorful comp.

as joel h. and others have already pointed out, it isn't that alan is posting here about pmi products (as a pmi representive) that is is problem; rather, that alan has a long history of having fouled the air on ALL the recording message boards at one time or another..

product quality aside, the lack of ethics evident in his forum postings gives me no alternative but to choose to spend my own money elsewhere.

frank