New project - need some opinions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

New project - need some opinions

Post by choke3d » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:19 am

So, I have just been asked to create a soundtrack/score for an independent film that a friend of mine is putting together. It will be mostly avant-guitar and soundscape work, created with traditional instruments. I'll be overdubbing most of it, probably no drum kits, etc., just guitars intermingling and effects. The writer/director (my friend) has a top-notch staff of editors, a sound designer, etc. It is a real budget, and the resulting soundtrack will be released as an album, likely with indie distribution.
I have a workable mac, mbox, budget compressors (RNC, modded bellari tube, etc.) and a handful of mics (57s, 58s, MXL, shure sdc). I've recorded some indie records, and as a musician I've spent a lot of time in nice studios, so I know how to get good sounds at the source, mic placement, etc. (enough to feel confident there).
So, HERE'S THE ACTUAL QUESTIONS: Since he's my friend, and I can rarely justify spending "real" money on recording gear for personal projects, I'm going to do this in exchange for equipment that I will use on the project. I'm not looking to rip my friend, just get an improved signal chain, primarily for guitar recording. So, a single or double channel pre, maybe a couple of mics. Here's a few thoughts/questions that I'm hoping you guys can help with:
? As far as pres go, a 4-ch Sytek is kinda overkill. Is there a two-channel equivalent? For guitar recording (elec & acoustic) to digital do you think a tube pre might better serve me (I sort of tend to think so). In that case - 2 of the EH 12ayz's (are they consistent enough to use for stereo sources)? Any others? Also, should I investigate a pre w/ spdif out to get the most direct sound through the mbox?
? Mics - I'm thinking a nice LDC for room mic on electric/ body on acoustic. Any sleepers you prefer, or is an all-purpose like the AT4050 my best bet in mid-priced mics? There are so many now, and I want an improvement for sure over my MXL V67. It is possible that I might need to do stereo sources at some point, so I may end up getting two of whatever I buy.
Thanks for you time[/b]

**edit - out of the way options are great as well, although I don't really want to build a Hamptone BEFORE I start on the actual recording, if ya know what I mean...

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:23 pm

O.K. in the interest of generating opinions, I'll simplify my above, wordy question. What LDC do you tend to like as a room mic on amps AND a body mic on acoustics?
What budget pres play nicely with guitars?

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:47 am

OK...I'm not enough of a gear nut with the credentials to offer opinons really, but own a Sytek and can add to the chorus of thumb-ups. They're also pretty well priced. I do feel compelled to add a recommendation for Davisound as I just purchased one of his two-channel pres and it was seriously great dealing with the owner. I mean, how often, do you have correspondence with a manufacturer of gear you're purchasing where they tell you something like this...

" spent last evening "tweaking" the limiting resistors for the blue LED voltage feeds to try and obtain just the right brightness for them. We didn't want them too intense that you had trouble viewing the panel yet we wanted to retain enough of their "rich blueness" projection to be impressive. I think we got it as close as we canto the best compromise"

I'd say that's customer service! That aside, I did JUST get it so I can't offer too much insight but my trial recording run is giving me the feel that this is a VERY nice preamp and excellent value. I'll know more after my sessions this weekend...

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:09 am

choke3d wrote:O.K. in the interest of generating opinions, I'll simplify my above, wordy question. What LDC do you tend to like as a room mic on amps AND a body mic on acoustics?
For me, the LDC would be an AKG c414. I have a B/ULS. I haven't heard the new ones, but the word is that they are not a huge departure from the previous edition in terms of sound. The CAD M179 is a LDC with multiple pickup patterns that sounds good too.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:15 am

choke3d wrote:O.K. in the interest of generating opinions, I'll simplify my above, wordy question. What LDC do you tend to like as a room mic on amps AND a body mic on acoustics?
AT 4050 and U87.
choke3d wrote:What budget pres play nicely with guitars?
If the Sytek were $900 for two channels, it would still be worth it. Back when I owned some Joemeek stuff, I occassionally liked the VC6Q on electric guitars, although the pre usually sounded too bright for acoustic guitars for my tastes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:26 am

I use my RNP for a lot of theater and live recording work, and I've been very happy with it. Probably not as "fast" as a Sytek, but excellent balance.

Really, though, anything could work. The key is to know your place in this project. You're competing for audio space with dialogue and foley. What works for FM radio will not necessarily work for film or theater. I would aim for clean instead of phat- i.e. no (or not as much) slamming through big sounding preamps or limiters.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:50 am

One of the best pre's i have used in the last 5 years on acoustic guitar: Electro Harmonix 12AY7. really. The only thing I own that really "beat" that little thing costs 1800 dollars for a single channel. The EH pre is 189. the fact that it is just about 10% of the price of a Manley VTL tube reference mic pre, and ALMOST beat it on acoustic guitar is just silly....

For acoustic instruments in general: The 12AY7 will be your pal. Dont let the price or the case fool you, it totally rocks bunz.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:10 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
One of the best pre's i have used in the last 5 years on acoustic guitar: Electro Harmonix 12AY7. really. The only thing I own that really "beat" that little thing costs 1800 dollars for a single channel. The EH pre is 189. the fact that it is just about 10% of the price of a Manley VTL tube reference mic pre, and ALMOST beat it on acoustic guitar is just silly....

For acoustic instruments in general: The 12AY7 will be your pal. Dont let the price or the case fool you, it totally rocks bunz.
and a FET47.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:50 pm

Presonus TubePre does good with direct guitar and bass. It's only $100. So, maybe you could ask for 2 of them, or one of their 2 channel pres. To be honest with you, I prefer using the Guitar and Bass Pods now.

----

Pretty cool that your friend will hook you up with the gear for the project, even if it's just a couple pieces. I'm working on two game soundtracks now. One is for free distribution because of copyright issues (extending the story of a previous major release), and the other will be sold. On the first, I'm doing it (as well as the rest of the staff) for free, although the promo we've generated both online and in print over the last couple years has been cool. I was offered "points" for royalties on the one that will be sold, but we don't expect it to sell much, and they gave me the OK to sell the soundtrack on my own, unlike the first.

Have fun!