Clipped Kick in Protools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

doctari
gimme a little kick & snare

Clipped Kick in Protools

Post by doctari » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:47 am

Hey everybody,
Listening to a track our band recorded with me playing bass and riding faders, i found the kick drum clipped! Horror,whoa is me, wrenching of hands. Attempting to salvage the work done, hours spent overdubbing bass and guitar parts, (I know the rythym tracks should have been thoroughly monitored before overdubs were made), I recorded one of the overhead tracks to a new track and using the EQIII in protools I cut the highs and upper mids, boosted some low freqs, and at least now lthere is some low end presence on the drum kit. Has this ever happened to any of you? Any helpful tips besides, "Don't engineer and play at the same time"?

3db@1K
gettin' sounds

Re: Clipped Kick in Protools

Post by 3db@1K » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:00 am

doctari wrote:Hey everybody,
Listening to a track our band recorded with me playing bass and riding faders, i found the kick drum clipped! Horror,whoa is me, wrenching of hands. Attempting to salvage the work done, hours spent overdubbing bass and guitar parts, (I know the rythym tracks should have been thoroughly monitored before overdubs were made), I recorded one of the overhead tracks to a new track and using the EQIII in protools I cut the highs and upper mids, boosted some low freqs, and at least now lthere is some low end presence on the drum kit. Has this ever happened to any of you? Any helpful tips besides, "Don't engineer and play at the same time"?
Did you record a seperate kick track that is clipped? Or is the kick clipping the overhead track?

doctari

Post by doctari » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:02 am

Seperate track for the kick, everything else is fine.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:03 am

yes, what they said...

Soundreplacer/Aptrigga/drumagog to the rescue.

If you don't want to use an additional sample, you can always sample one good sounding kick hit and use that to augment the track. I've done this with clipped snares before...

Roger

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:03 am

A very good question posted above. I'm gonna assume (judging by what you did with the overheads) that the kick was on a seperate track.

Just use a soundreplacer thing. Easy solution.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

TA
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TA » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:06 am

Or find a good kick hit then copy and paste....

doctari

Post by doctari » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:07 am

Don't think I have sound replacer and would have to learn to use it. My plug ins are limited to what came with ptle. is it possible to use the clipped track to trigger a drum machine thru Midi, or would bleed from the rest of the kit onto the kick track interfere with midi communication?

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:13 am

Just copy a good kick, trim it so its nice and clean, then use tab to transient and just keep pasting it in over the old kick and you're golden.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:16 am

If you have access to a de-clicker algorithm, like Waves X-Click, sometimes that will work in getting the 'nasty' out of a distorted transient. Worked for me on a clipped kick track that someone brought in from a home recording...!
If that were to work, you'd at least maintain the phase relationship of the original kick to the other mics, where a sound-replacer type solution will not really be phase accurate (but will likely work pretty darn well, too...)

Edited to say: Waves has functioning demos on their site, last I looked.
Last edited by Mark Alan Miller on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:25 am

doctari wrote:Don't think I have sound replacer and would have to learn to use it.
Buy apTrigga. It's only $45, and it's an electronic download. Really easy to understand. You'll be up and running in a half-hour.

doctari

Post by doctari » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:26 am

Its a very syncopated bass drum ,won't say pattern because it is mighty random, cutting and pasting would be time consuming and hit and miss given my editing chops. I'll have to look into some of these audio rrepair plugs.

3db@1K
gettin' sounds

Post by 3db@1K » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:17 am

doctari wrote:Its a very syncopated bass drum ,won't say pattern because it is mighty random, cutting and pasting would be time consuming and hit and miss given my editing chops. I'll have to look into some of these audio rrepair plugs.
Welcome to digital recording... Sometimes if you cant afford the quick fix you need to invest the time. I would find a good kick (like previous posters said) and make a new track, blow both the original kick track and the new one up to sample view and start to paste the good kick on the new track. Tab to transient and off you go. This is how you begin to get your editing chops.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:30 am

John Jeffers wrote:
doctari wrote:Don't think I have sound replacer and would have to learn to use it.
Buy apTrigga. It's only $45, and it's an electronic download. Really easy to understand. You'll be up and running in a half-hour.
Very good plug but its only VST. You would also need the VST->RTAS Wrapper. Both are a good investment.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:05 pm

The Spark wrote:
John Jeffers wrote:
Very good plug but its only VST. You would also need the VST->RTAS Wrapper. Both are a good investment.
I believe it's VST and AU. I assumed one of those would work in Pro Tools, but I didn't know for sure, so sorry if I made a bad assumption.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:11 pm

Protools only uses RTAS plugs unfortunetly... Looking for a monopoly i guess...

The VST->RTAS Wrapper is a good investment regardless. There are lots of great VST plugs out there for free. Worth the price of the wrapper alone.