Budget Preamp Comparison

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Moon Unit
gettin' sounds

Post by Moon Unit » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:15 pm

The only real observation I had that is worth noting ... is that the Presonus Blue Tube samples sound like someone took a big, smelly dump all over your guitar.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:13 am

Another late observation:

Worst by far was the Bluetube. Just awful. Could be useful as a grunge box of some sort though.

The EH was head and shoulders above the rest I thought. Rich and warm, without that smiley curve response of the Art Pro. Sounded weird to me, the Art.

Aphex 207 was ok, a nice rolled off kind of a sound. Not very detailed sounding. The MP20 didn't sound very special, but I preferred it marginally to the Mackie.

Nice work!

alba359
alignin' 24-trk

Thanks

Post by alba359 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:36 am

Hi 8th note, I know this thread is old, but it's great for reference. Just wanted to thank you for the time you spent in recording these preamps and sharing this with us. Sincere Thanks, Don

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:26 am

Hi 8th note, I know this thread is old, but it's great for reference. Just wanted to thank you for the time you spent in recording these preamps and sharing this with us. Sincere Thanks, Don
You're welcome! What's really been fascinating to me is how different people will hear different things from the same audio samples and how a pre that sucks for one application can be pretty good for another. The BlueTube, for example, continues to get trashed but it is still my go-to pre for distorted electric guitar. It consistently sounds better than the 12AY7 for this application, at least to my ears in my setup. I agree, however, that for acoustic guitar it ain't what the doctor ordered.

tony_tomlinson
gettin' sounds

Post by tony_tomlinson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Thanks, posts like these are extremely helpful and are what make this board so great.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

so...

Post by ampguy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 am

have you guys tried the Studio Projects VTB1?

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Re: so...

Post by Harry » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:37 am

ampguy wrote:have you guys tried the Studio Projects VTB1?

I have the VTB1...it's pretty cool. I use it when I want that Fuzzbox type of distortion on a vocal track.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:21 am

That's odd, mine doesn't do fuzz at all, even cranked all the way on tube, here's a clip with it on clarinet w/ sm57. Did you have to change tubes to get a fuzz vocal sound?

http://www.tedm.com/mp3s/clarinet5.mp3

Harry wrote:
ampguy wrote:have you guys tried the Studio Projects VTB1?

I have the VTB1...it's pretty cool. I use it when I want that Fuzzbox type of distortion on a vocal track.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:45 am

ampguy wrote:That's odd, mine doesn't do fuzz at all, even cranked all the way on tube, here's a clip with it on clarinet w/ sm57. Did you have to change tubes to get a fuzz vocal sound?

If you crank the input,turn up the tube drive thing and belt out a vocal it gets a ton of distortion(stock tube)

It's like a vocal stomp box.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:31 pm

OK, but that would push my meters into the red zone. Is that ok?

Harry wrote:
ampguy wrote:That's odd, mine doesn't do fuzz at all, even cranked all the way on tube, here's a clip with it on clarinet w/ sm57. Did you have to change tubes to get a fuzz vocal sound?

If you crank the input,turn up the tube drive thing and belt out a vocal it gets a ton of distortion(stock tube)

It's like a vocal stomp box.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:18 pm

ampguy wrote:OK, but that would push my meters into the red zone. Is that ok?

Yup. Crank the input, crank the 'tube' drive, and then control your signal from your pre to your deck/tape/DAW, etc, with the 'output' dial on the VTB-1.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:34 am

I've been lurking on this thread awhile now. Thanks so much for that demo...very nice.
My 2cents-
listening through my Powerbook speakers (which is how most of us listened I suspect) I really thought the EH was way above the rest and if you look at how things digressed into more of a debate on this lil' pre lets just say it was the clear winner. It was just alot more musical to me and had a hard to define depth. I also wonder if I just like brighter sound because those are the pre's I prefered. Runner up was the MPA and the Mackie which made me reappraise my stratagy for my next purchase.
I do own a EH pre and what I do is run it balanced into an older DBX 566 compressor which has a +4/-10 switch on the ins and outs....then -10 to my tascam 38. It sounds great. I do have a step down transformer I found at a yard sale but what is the best option for stepping down these things to unbalanced if I needed more of them?

Also is there a big diffrence in the MPA and the gold one besides the digital option and imp?
I hate that gold look too..yuck reminds me of that cheesy lame looking to pretty, girly Avalon, like some Kenwood HiFi from 1978

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Just wanted to peak in here so I could bump this wonderful thread back on the board- :D

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:50 pm

nestle wrote: Also is there a big diffrence in the MPA and the gold one besides the digital option and imp?
I hate that gold look too..yuck reminds me of that cheesy lame looking to pretty, girly Avalon, like some Kenwood HiFi from 1978
The difference (in addition to the two you listed) is a "high-voltage" mode which brings out more detail and doesn't distort as easily.
I know you asked that question months ago, but I figured I'd reply just in case you or anyone else were still wondering.

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 pm

The audio clips in the OP seem to have been taken down. If 8th note still has them, I would be happy to host them on my web space. I wasn't here when this thread originally occurred, and I'm interested in hearing the clips.