maintaining focus during long sessions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

maintaining focus during long sessions

Post by chris harris » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:18 am

I'm talking about the artists here.

It never fails, somewhere after hour six or seven, all hell breaks loose.
it usually starts with cheesy movie or TV quotes... Progresses through fart jokes and trash-talking... and, ends up at a place where the chatter is so loud in the control room, that it's hard for me to keep focused on what we're doing.

taking breaks doesn't seem to help. they're just restless.

any suggestions?

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:31 am

hook up a video game, or give them drugs...something!
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

KennyD
audio school graduate

Post by KennyD » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:42 pm

Cable TV in another room can help, too!

I think it's the producer's job to keep the session rolling and keep distractions at bay. If the band doesn't have a producer, then depending on the group and the situation, I would say something to keep things going, and/or just roll with it, have fun and try to get as much done as possible.

Good luck,

Kenny D

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:31 pm

During main tracking? Overdubs? Mixing?

Anyway, if they're in the control room making noise I'll simply turn around and tell them to "shhhhhhh, I'm trying to listen".

I've never had an artist give me guff for just asking for them to be quiet.

I used to do the 'keep turning up the monitor level to drown them out' but I just find it makes them talk louder. I eventually turn around and ask them to be quiet anyways so that's all that needs to be said.

Or, "Hey I need to listen to this stuff closely"

I do allow whoever wants to be in the control room to be in the control room just as long as they're not loud. Like I said, they respect that. In fact they're happy that I'm paying attention. I do have a lounge area with TV, video games, and magazines so they're more than welcome to make as much noise there.

I also request that no friends come to hang out during the recording session. All I have to do is state, "things will go faster and you won't end up paying as much if we don't have outside distractions".

Also, I can usually identify at least one member in the group that's just as focused as me then I can ask that person to tell the others to "shut up" (in so many words-- heh).

I certainly don't let it get to the point where I get pissed. It's best to nip it in the bud, politely at first, and you'll be the better for it... they'll appreciate it as well, in the long run.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Puhlease

Post by knobtwirler » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:20 pm

I usually lay my pistol on the console at that point.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:04 pm

during tracking this is never a problem.

during overdubs, especially vocals it can be a serious problem. Usually I say something like, "look guys, I dont want to be a dick, but we really need to focus if we're going to make a record", and everyone seems to understand.

During mixing I usually tell them they can hang out as long as they are totally silent. Otherwise they can hang in the lounge while I get a mix working. Then I ask them to come in and listen and I adjust to meet their needs.

Like I said, the biggest problem is during vocals. If the TB mic is on at the wrong time and the gtr player makes some silly wisecrack, and the vocalist thinks it was directed at their performance it can ruin their confidence and ruin the vocal session. That shit sucks.

I have always worked with very cool people though. Most bands that come to my studio are there to make a real record on a small budget, not to party. I can imagine that with some clients this could be a real nightmare though.

mike

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:15 pm

A little trick I learned in my former life as a sales guy:

Listen to a track with the volume up to 100% of your normal mix level, then slowly bring the volume down, down, down until it's almost at whisper level. Most of the time, people will bring their voices down with the music level. When you finally get to "zero", the room should be quiet. If that doesn't work, simply ask them to "listen to this" and show them something cool like putting mics out of phase or using an amp simulator plugin on a vocal or something.

Either that, or call out a smoke/snack break so everyone can come back to the session with a fresh mind in 15 mins.

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:54 pm

yeah...remove the people not doing work from the situation by sending them away/into the lounge/out for food or, I say, work shorter days. Explain what you see happening to them around hour 8 and tell them it'd be better to do shorter days or something. that will probably either get them to relax a little bit come that time or help them to realize that it would be best for them to do what you suggest.

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:44 am

I try to get the unfocused people to leave or at least go into the next room. Usually they aren't that into the process anyway so they will just go home.

davedarling
studio intern

Post by davedarling » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:37 pm

try chewing foil gum wrappers .....worked for Bruce Springsteen.

dd

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:41 pm

i bought several cup and ball games for the studio. i also wrote a "101 Jokes..." book where the reader would be too embarassed to say any of the jokes out loud. they've both worked more than once.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:26 pm

One more vote for "letting" people leave. If you need to get people back, there is always the cell phone. Making musicians sit quietly for hours on end is just cruel.

If it has to be a group process, once they are getting loud, it's time for a break. Once they realize how much time they are burning they will shape up. The problem with this though, is that nothing kills a mood or a vibe faster than the words: "it's your money."
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Puhlease

Post by Professor » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:37 pm

knobtwirler wrote:I usually lay my pistol on the console at that point.
Obviously a guy that works in gangsta rap where them pistols come out if you say it was a bad take.

-J

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:23 pm

Usually I can use a "hey gang I need to focus on this." It seems background vocals are the worst. Often times the guy singing BV is doing so by default. He's the only one who and kinda sing besides the singer. When the rest of the band starts making fun of the singer they get one warning. If they keep it up they are kicked out.

Seventh Wave Studio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Seventh Wave Studio » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:10 pm

God I know exactly what you mean. Try these...

"Why am I taking this more serious than you?"

"Did my friends stand behind you and talk and distract you when you were doing your parts?"

The thing is, of course they are excited, so I do not want to be the dick that killed the vibe. So I usually tell people about leaving or bringing a book BEFORE the sessions start. That way, when it happens, I can use the "Remember what I told you....?" and I am not the bad guy.

I have to admit, I learned some of the most horrific dirty jokes from the musicians hanging out in the control room. Good times.

I sometimes put a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon in the fridge and announce, "you can drink my beer if you go hang out in the lounge."

The place will clear damn quick and never to see them again until the end of the session!
www.seventhwavestudio.com <----looky

"All we know is all we are"
(misheard lyric) Kurt Cobain