Any big surprises at NAMM?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:27 am

The Moog rumor I'm thinking of is a low-cost polyphonic, to compete with Dave Smith's Mono Evolver Keyboard... or perhaps something like the Taurus pedals.

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:08 pm

Professor wrote: The first ribbon mic happened because someone was at NAMM and a rep from the Chinese factory told a guy that he could order a small production run, minimum 100-units for $70 each. Naturally, the gear-slut side of him and the cheap-ass musician side of him clicked into action at the thought of a $70 ribbon. Ended up around $110 a piece in the end with shipping, taxes and a little extra for the broker, but it still happened.
Now think of that with a nice multi-pattern tube.

-J
Well, there was another chinese ribbon mic group buy recently that was advertised in the homerecording and psw forums. I happened to get in on it and I will be receiving 2 royer 121 copies (aka nady rsm-3) and 2 double-ribbon mics that are not available anywhere else yet. We have been told we will be receiving our mics from china in a few weeks. We'll see if this is true, but they should be interesting when they arrive.

-jim bob

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:57 pm

Bummer, wish I knew that purchase was going down, I would have happily joined in.

-J

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:56 pm

Hafler is still doing warranty repair. I just sent an amp down to them this week.
The number to call is on their web site www.hafler.com .

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:32 pm

Apogee is releasing a new audio interface and a new soundcard.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:27 pm

inverseroom wrote:The Moog rumor I'm thinking of is a low-cost polyphonic, to compete with Dave Smith's Mono Evolver Keyboard... or perhaps something like the Taurus pedals.
Well, they've said they're going to launch something. My personal guess is either a drum-machine or a vocoder. My money's on a vocoder -- its not soooo far from the MuRF concept. But these are only guesses.

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:49 pm

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:09 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:
inverseroom wrote:The Moog rumor I'm thinking of is a low-cost polyphonic, to compete with Dave Smith's Mono Evolver Keyboard... or perhaps something like the Taurus pedals.
Well, they've said they're going to launch something. My personal guess is either a drum-machine or a vocoder. My money's on a vocoder -- its not soooo far from the MuRF concept. But these are only guesses.
My money's on a cut-down voyager. TOMORROW WE SHALL KNOW.

If it's just more new editions of moogerfoogers I'll be annoyed.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:46 pm

BTW check out Roland's site

www.rolandus.com

They have a couple of REALLY COOL new synths, including the VP-550 Vocal Synth (yes--a sequel!!!) and the SH-201 analog modeling synth...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:54 pm

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 am

i am monster face wrote:
daede wrote:Where is everyone coming up with this 003 talk? Is it just wishful thinking or is there any substance to the rumors?
Wishful thinking.
Looks like it was just that. The upgrades are an interesting option (up to 48 tracks of either mono/stereo, multitrack Beat Detective, SLAM!, Sound Replacer) but aren't cheap at $495.

And without the ability to do 16 ins/outs at 24/96 I think the time has come for me to move on.

I love PT as a DAW, but I'm not excited about the hardware limitations. An 003 probably would've kept me in the fold, but at this point I may just move on.
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

Double Tones
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Double Tones » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:03 pm

Daede, how do you know there is no 003 and where'd you hear about the upgrades...? Was this at NAMM or...?

Thanks

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Here's the DIGI page regarding the 48 track version of PTLE
http://www.digidesign.com/news/details. ... ry_id=4219
Last edited by blunderfonics on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:25 pm

Double Tones wrote:Daede, how do you know there is no 003 and where'd you hear about the upgrades...? Was this at NAMM or...?

Thanks
They announced the upgrades at NAMM, and I'm assuming since they haven't announced an 003 yet at NAMM, they won't be announcing it any time soon.

Not to say it won't come in the future, but not any time soon I would imagine.

See: here and here.
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:20 pm

dsw wrote:Hafler is still doing warranty repair. I just sent an amp down to them this week.
The number to call is on their web site www.hafler.com .
Thank you thank you thank you!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC