Phase Issues?? No, Let's call it Phase Imagine..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: Phase Issues?? No, Let's call it Phase Imagine..

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:16 pm

MikeCzech wrote:I began to move mics while listening to them all, but as I did it sounded as if the cab was moving around my head - even though all mics were panned center.
If you were listening on headphones while doing this, the bleed acoustically through the 'phones combining/cancelling with the mic(s) caused this phenomenon, and would not be present on playback.
Just a thought.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:53 pm

Holy shit, That's Brett!
I guess I'm still waiting to find out who "Brett" is...
Last edited by aeijtzsche on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:25 pm

a little harsh on this guy? no?

he should have kept it to himself. for all you know... his record rules.

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:54 pm

Ah, what the hell, maybe I should've kept it to myself. I guess I went a little crazy with the diagrams and what not.. I could describe effectively in words the varying axis among the mics. Then I realized I could just take post a pic.. The pics are rather unusual looking, I know. The funny thing is that I meant to call this thread Phase IMAGING, not Imagine, kinda created a whole 'Lesbian Seagull' overtone to the whole thread, haha..

All I was really trying to say was this:
*** When I finally stopped fighting phase problems as and turned the obstacle into a tool the result was really nice.***

So there it is, all the pics and diagrams were just an excuse to post a pic of Brett :)

The final mix is not mono, but all the mics for each take are panned to the same side. the axis of each mic changed for the double tracks so that the phase combing changed thus creating another dimension as if standing in another point in the room. They are all layered, total of 4 tracks. It sounds cool, I dare say best guitars I've recorded.

I don't care if anybody really tries this or not, I'll be glad to be the only guy who gets this sound. I was merely sharing my discovery, use it if you're feeling unique, or don't waste your time.. It doesn't hurt me at all.

..And yes, that really is Brett. He's only the coolest guy in Salt Lake City!

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:02 pm

ive done some similar things, but more with spacing of multiple mics than angles. ive also done stuff with swinging mics/ reamping with more swinging mics. for a mbv thing.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:59 am

Please don't think for a moment that because I chimed in with that one comment I was attacking anything. If something works when recording, it's 'right'.
I have not heard the record in question, so in no way would I critisize it. I simply thought it might be good food for thought to mention the acoustic/electric (room tone vs sound in 'phones) phase issue...

I think it was a worth mentioning thing - I've sure done wierd or wierder stuff in search of a new sound...

I gotta hear the results. Sounds intriguing.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:21 am

MikeCzech wrote:The final mix is not mono, but all the mics for each take are panned to the same side. the axis of each mic changed for the double tracks so that the phase combing changed thus creating another dimension as if standing in another point in the room
Very interesting idea... so you're creating phase alterations [comb filtering] to create depth and dimension from a series of mono tracks... really interesting. Thanks for clarifying the description so I could wrap my head around it.

While your final mix isn't mono... did you check to hear how it sounded folded down to mono? While I am definitely planning on experimenting with this a good measure [first really interesting technique thing I've seen in a bunch of years... thanks for sharing]... everything that leaves my room has to maintain it's balance wherever it goes.

I like to think that the balances will be the same on a $100k uber stereo as they will be on a simple clock radio [or the occasional bout with MTV like channels]... which means that mono compatibility for the overall product is pretty key.

With the idea of layering slightly different layers of comb-filtered mono tracks I have a feeling that this might fold down pretty well... I'm just curious if you've tried it yet. Thanks again for sharing!!!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:42 am

Fletcher wrote:
MikeCzech wrote:The final mix is not mono, but all the mics for each take are panned to the same side. the axis of each mic changed for the double tracks so that the phase combing changed thus creating another dimension as if standing in another point in the room
Very interesting idea... so you're creating phase alterations [comb filtering] to create depth and dimension from a series of mono tracks... really interesting. Thanks for clarifying the description so I could wrap my head around it.
I concur... neat stuff.

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:12 pm

Still a work in progress, so I haven't heard the whole shabang in mono yet. So far the balance seems pleasing.. Might be a couple of weeks before their bass player and vocalist come in to lay their tracks, but I'll post mp3'
s when it's done.

If it get's too messy I'll back off some of the tracks, but so far I'm really liking it.