Question about my 12AY7?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:21 am

:worthy:

Sweet!
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: EH pre racked

Post by workshed » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:11 pm

Hey McKay,

Would the innards of the 12AY7 have worked in a 2U enclosure, or is it simply too big to fit in a smaller enclosure? I'd like to rack my two 12AY7s up, but I don't have 4U of space to spare in my rack. Also, I don't know how hard it would be, but if you ever find yourself with some free time, I'd love to see how you handled the back and the inside of the rack.

Thanks for posting that pic!

-Bret

bounce wrote:Well, ignore the smudges on the black rack face panel (I did that experimenting with labels). I'll have to buff those out (easy). Here's the racked 12AY7 minus labeling. I left room on the other side for another pre or a compressor. I bought the rack case at a thrift store for $10 (was a video relay before). I bought the knobs at an electronics store. I'll post some pics of the inside next with the ribbon cable extension I put in...I used the pre this past weekend on a drum session with a band. I used the EH on one of the room mics...

Cheers...

http://www.b-oz.com/ehprerack.jpg

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:37 pm

ok ive tried various mics tubes etc. it seems that mine does have some noisy pots and i cant go past 10 oclock without getting a fuzz that i would call subtle but not musical. its almost like a clipping at the transients but the overload light is not on. anyone else?

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:14 am

buschfsu wrote:ok ive tried various mics tubes etc. it seems that mine does have some noisy pots and i cant go past 10 oclock without getting a fuzz that i would call subtle but not musical. its almost like a clipping at the transients but the overload light is not on. anyone else?
Actually yeah. I've noticed this too, but only in one instance. When I use my Oktava MKL 2500 (tube mic) with the 12AY7 on a distorted electric, or cranked treble amp. I thought it was pretty strange too, but couldn't duplicate it with any other mics. For a few things I tried it on, I liked it. For others it wasn't that cool. As soon as I swap out the preamp, or mic itself the wierd fuzz goes away. I would explain it the same as you, sounds like a wierd clipping, but the overload light does not light. Only with the MKL 2500 though and only on electric guitar.?

Have you tried another mic? Maybe this is just truly showing the lower(ed) headroom of some of our microphones?

Although I don't have much to offer regarding an answer, I just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

brianb
gettin' sounds

Post by brianb » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:56 pm

nlmd311 wrote:
buschfsu wrote:ok ive tried various mics tubes etc. it seems that mine does have some noisy pots and i cant go past 10 oclock without getting a fuzz that i would call subtle but not musical. its almost like a clipping at the transients but the overload light is not on. anyone else?
Actually yeah. I've noticed this too, but only in one instance. When I use my Oktava MKL 2500 (tube mic) with the 12AY7 on a distorted electric, or cranked treble amp. I thought it was pretty strange too, but couldn't duplicate it with any other mics. For a few things I tried it on, I liked it. For others it wasn't that cool. As soon as I swap out the preamp, or mic itself the wierd fuzz goes away. I would explain it the same as you, sounds like a wierd clipping, but the overload light does not light. Only with the MKL 2500 though and only on electric guitar.?

Have you tried another mic? Maybe this is just truly showing the lower(ed) headroom of some of our microphones?

Although I don't have much to offer regarding an answer, I just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one.

-Darrill
I noticed the same thing on mine last night recording mandolin. To me it sounds more like a fizz and I particularly noticed it on the low notes. I had also noticed it on bass but thought it was my crappy bass setup. I checked the mics on my martin and noticed it was there too. Fizzing like a can of soda pop. I tried a couple of different crappy mics-the 603s and kel 1 and they all did it. All my condensers also have the problem where the power light goes dim. I'm bummed- I was loving this thing but now wish I had bitten the bullet and gotten a hamptone kit. Woulda been halfway there for what I spent on this.

Brian

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:32 pm

It's a weird little gadget man. At this point I have a Love/Hate relationship with mine.

Reminds me a little of my second marriage.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:35 pm

I liken it to an old-fashioned carburetor. Rewarding, but a bit finicky. I wouldn't give mine up for any reason though (the old carburetor in the truck, nor the EH pre)

Timothy Lawler
audio school

Post by Timothy Lawler » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:46 pm

Only noticeable hiss I get is if I turn the gain up past 12 o'clock on a very quiet source. Other than that, no problems with my two 12AY7 pre's. Nice rich tone.

Tim

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:59 pm

Wanted to avoid starting yet another thread on this... I've got an SCA complete kit coming and will have room in the SCA chassis and was thinking about using some of the open space to mount my EH 12AY7, then get fancy and use front panel express to fabricate a new face for the whole thing.

I'm good with soldering cables, patchbays, etc. - the easy stuff, but my question is with the EH 12AY7 -- does this thing need to be discharged or do I need to worry about the voltage or anything like that? I'd like to stay alive past this project and if I have to leave the EH out to stick to that plan, I will.

Thanks.
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:40 am

bump.

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:57 am

awesome...but you know we wanna see the NOODZ! lets see the insides.

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:39 pm

runrunrun wrote:
awesome...but you know we wanna see the NOODZ! lets see the insides.
He's posted the internal pics on another thread that came up in search.

Anyone have any insight on whether or not this must be discharged? Thanks.