dealing with stars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:58 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by ryanlikestorock » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:17 am

I also found out about this "in between" ego bullshit on my own. I just figured that's what fame did, until I started working with people who were on that next level.

Until just recently, I'd been doing most of my work from my bedroom. Somehow, I landed a gig with one of my idols. Before he came over, I hid all his records so he wouldn't know I was the fan that I am. haha. Needless to say, I blurted it all out mid-session and we had a good laugh.

I work in a studio now where "celebs" (on a canadian level) are coming and going all the time and it's not a really big deal anymore.

User avatar
Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 2:28 pm
Location: Bloomington, IN
Contact:

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:24 am

yoko

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:18 pm
Location: NYC

Post by knobtwirler » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Easy to deal with and starstruck are two different things. One A-lister came in to a studio where he almost never works and doesn't know anyone, so he had to put his "don't mess with me" front on, but nobody at the studio cared or was starstruck. Easy to deal with? Tell that to the poor assistant that was chased into a corner in the hallway and threatened with a beating after he said each CD will cost $25.

User avatar
Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 2:28 pm
Location: Bloomington, IN
Contact:

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:22 pm

Lemmy Kilmister

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:27 pm

Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:yoko
So, are you just posting your resume one difficult celebrity at a time in defiance of Lance's request not to name names, or are you speculating about which celebrities would be difficult to work with?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 2:28 pm
Location: Bloomington, IN
Contact:

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:32 pm

dwlb wrote: just posting your resume one difficult celebrity at a time in defiance of Lance's request not to name names
ronny james dio

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:40 pm

Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:
dwlb wrote: just posting your resume one difficult celebrity at a time in defiance of Lance's request not to name names
ronny james devito
Well, that clears that up.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 2:28 pm
Location: Bloomington, IN
Contact:

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:43 pm

dwlb wrote:
Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:
dwlb wrote: just posting your resume one difficult celebrity at a time in defiance of Lance's request not to name names
ronny james devito
Well, that clears that up.
Yeah, what's not clear is why somebody is going and rewriting my posts. This makes me never want to visit this forum again, even if it is a joke.

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:44 pm

Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:
dwlb wrote:
Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:
dwlb wrote: just posting your resume one difficult celebrity at a time in defiance of Lance's request not to name names
ronny james devito
Well, that clears that up.
Yeah, what's not clear is why somebody is going and rewriting my posts. This makes me never want to visit this forum again, even if it is a joke.
Is that happening? On this thread or elsewhere?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:16 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Change your password, dude. I seriously doubt anyone with moderation rights is doing that.

cgarges
zen recordist
Posts: 10876
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:02 pm

It was me, folks. I was messing with Mike and I've apologized to him and apologize to anyone else who got upset. The posts were different for less than ten minutes.

Along those lines, let's please try to stay on topic. I'm supposed to be deleting stuff like this anyway.

Again, my apologies. It won't happen again.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

User avatar
Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 2:28 pm
Location: Bloomington, IN
Contact:

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:12 pm

cgarges wrote:It was me, folks. I was messing with Mike and I've apologized to him and apologize to anyone else who got upset. The posts were different for less than ten minutes.

Along those lines, let's please try to stay on topic. I'm supposed to be deleting stuff like this anyway.

Again, my apologies. It won't happen again.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
my apologies as well. got a little goofy and overdunnit a bit. so now I will contribute...

I have never worked with any "stars". Well, there is this guy that is a star in some circles, but he's just a dude and it was no big deal.

As an intern at a studio I dealt with some stars on a day to day basis. They are just like anyone else. Some are jerks, some are nice people. Some are just skeptical of you because they know that you know that they are a star So if you always treat everyone equally you don't have to worry about it.

If a star chose to come to my studio I would still clean the fuck out of the place before they got there, Id still have a fresh pot of coffee brewing, and it still pick my fucking nose and wipe it under the console. If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else!

User avatar
Roman Sokal
buyin' gear
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 10:29 pm
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Roman Sokal » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:57 pm

Michael Gregory Bridavsky wrote:
cgarges wrote:It was me, folks. I was messing with Mike and I've apologized to him and apologize to anyone else who got upset. The posts were different for less than ten minutes.

Along those lines, let's please try to stay on topic. I'm supposed to be deleting stuff like this anyway.

Again, my apologies. It won't happen again.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
my apologies as well. got a little goofy and overdunnit a bit. so now I will contribute...

I have never worked with any "stars". Well, there is this guy that is a star in some circles, but he's just a dude and it was no big deal.

As an intern at a studio I dealt with some stars on a day to day basis. They are just like anyone else. Some are jerks, some are nice people. Some are just skeptical of you because they know that you know that they are a star So if you always treat everyone equally you don't have to worry about it.

If a star chose to come to my studio I would still clean the fuck out of the place before they got there, Id still have a fresh pot of coffee brewing, and it still pick my fucking nose and wipe it under the console. If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else!

what about those billy corgan stories, mike? ;)

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:18 pm
Location: NYC

What not to do

Post by knobtwirler » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:15 pm

Oh yeah, one thing not to do when dealing with stars if you are an intern or assistant who gets on a session is to stand in the corner with your phone out so it looks like you're taking pictures of the clients, even if you're not. The Terror Squad almost stomped out one such kid in my presence.

User avatar
;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3290
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:15 am
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain
Contact:

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:40 pm

Is Billy Corgan a star again?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests