Outboard Delay...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Outboard Delay...

Post by sonic documentation » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:46 am

I think I'm going to buy another delay unit, and I thought that the TOMB could help.

In everyone's opinion, what are your favorite outboard delay boxes?
Danny Friedman
The Tannery Recording Studios
www.tannerystudio.com

3db@1K
gettin' sounds

Re: Outboard Delay...

Post by 3db@1K » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:07 am

sonic documentation wrote:I think I'm going to buy another delay unit, and I thought that the TOMB could help.

In everyone's opinion, what are your favorite outboard delay boxes?
PCM42, AMS RMX (still exspensive) and SDE3000 (I think thats the number) anyway the older one. These are my top three. The PCM41 are great too.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:12 am

For stereo delays and flexibility, the tc electronic D-Two. For mono simplicity, the Delta Lab ADM 1030 Effectron III, although any of the Effectrons (and Super Tme Lines) are cool.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:22 am

cgarges wrote:For stereo delays and flexibility, the tc electronic D-Two. For mono simplicity, the Delta Lab ADM 1030 Effectron III, although any of the Effectrons (and Super Tme Lines) are cool.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I will add:

Hiwatt tape echo. Korg Stage echo. Roland Space echo. Klemt echolette. roland SDE 3000,Ibanez AD202, lexicon vortex....

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:01 am

Korg SDD series delays. Very clean, warm, and analogish. The SDD-3000 is $$$ thanks to its association with U2's The Edge, but the SDD-1000, -1200, -2000, and -3300 can be found much cheaper and they sound just as good.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:15 am

I really like the Memory Man for recording. I've never had any troubles with going line level with it. It's my one and only effect for vocals. Well, of course, that and the Cher "If you believe..." Auto-Tune manipulation. Those are my thumbprints on the musical world.

Regarding the Roland SDE-3000: are those fairly quiet?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:22 am

You can do all kinds of cool crazy shit with a Lexicon PCM 41. Not the best vocal simple repeats (because the sound is so colored) but great on guitar solos. It's the sound of some classic songs too. There's a Bowie song that every time I hear it on the radio I notice it and of course "In the Air Tonight."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:37 am

My favorite is the Roland SRE-555, which is a rackmount version of the Space Echo, essentially. It also has chorus. Analog tape echo. May not be the ultimate new delay for you, but it's my favorite right now. I don't have all that much outboard gear though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Woooo PCM 41 !!!!! talk about fun.

I rock the late 70s Multivox Analog Echo MMD-5, some wierd Japanese-made box. Mic and Instrument inputs, with two selectable pads for each, foot switches for reverb and delay, delay-only out, mix out, and 2 selectable pads for the output. hi-tek! It's got a lot of noise, and it's not a very discreet toy.

A friend of mine picked up the budget Lexicon thing - I think the $500 one - and it sounds pretty great. It's fairly intuitive after one quick read through of the manual, but still, it seemed like the knobs I was adjusting didn't make it sound like I thought it would. The delays seemed particularly hard to set up. Couldn't just get a simple delay with NO verb. But yeah, it sounds great, I'm sure if I had more than two days to spend with it I would really like it.

jim!

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Post by MechaGodzilla » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:56 pm

I'll throw in a second on the Ibanez AD-202. It's thick and beefy, and makes a great slapback on vocals, plus it's real easy to freak out with. They use the same chip as a Memory Man, if I remember right.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:05 pm

If budget isn't an issue and you don't mind dealing with the quirks of vintage gear the Binson Echorec is a bitchen delay. It can do quick slapbacks to spacey multitap delay. Very dark sounding as well (at least mine is...)
Otherwise I'd second the votes for Roland Tape Echos (love my 501), effectrons (a bit hissy/noisey), and Lexicon Vortex and Jamman (nice tap echo with triplet and quarter note functions).
Lots of choices if you don't mind running through stomp boxes: Korg pme-40x analog delay and digital delay modules are cool (and stereo).

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:16 pm

i declare the DOD R885 as the tapeop delay of choice. they go for as low as $39 or so. great analog delay.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:31 pm

AstroDan wrote:I really like the Memory Man ....

mine just shit the bed... :(

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:28 pm

I have a Lexicon Vortex that I like rather a lot. It has tempo tap off of either footpedal or front panel. The "morph" feature is pretty neat too. (Two seperate delay/mod effects that can be switched between without switching nosie.)

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Vortex question

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi all, sorry to temporarily hijack this thread...
I too have a vortex, and I have a questionfor any other vortex owners - how do you totally get rid of the dry signal?I'm pretty sure thateven withthewetdrymix parameterset totallyto dry, it still has a bit of the straight sound - makes everything phasey when used on an aux. Notsure if i'm missing something obvious, had this thing for ages, was myfirst digital delayI could tap tempo on, stillthinkthe way it's implemented is the shizz, especiallywiththe morph ab thing.

Anybody?

BTW, myother delay voteswould be ; Korg SDD 1000 (miss mine!), watkins copicat, TC D-two, Memoryman, Arion SAD-1, Melos anaolg delay, evans analog delay....just need a space echo and an echoplex and i'll be full echo jacket!
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher