Paiste Formula 602 cymbals

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Paiste Formula 602 cymbals

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Man, I love these things. I can't believe that A) they stopped making them and B) they haven't re-issued them. There were some great cymbals in the Sound Creation line, too (same alloy), but the 602s just ruled. Maybe it's that I really, really loved Stewart Copeland and Nick Mason's cymbal sounds as a kid or something, but these things were great. Anybody have any good ones that they like? Anybody have any that they hate (and might want to get rid of)?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:49 pm

I only have one. a 20" ride. I'll never part with it (nah-nah!!). :-)
It sounds great. Joe Morello would be proud.

I read that Paiste lost the formula, but that kinda sounds stupid now that I think about it.... I would think they would reissue too as popular as they have become on the vintage market (and of course that includes eBay).

I got mine for $70 at a local music store back in 90 or 91 when they were not cool yet.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:57 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:I only have one. a 20" ride. I'll never part with it (nah-nah!!). :-)
I've got two 20" 602s. One's a flat ride. Nah-nah. Used to have 20" non-logo cymbal that I sold. I wish I hadn't, but I had good reason. Is yours a blue-label or stamped?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:37 am

So, no love, huh?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:12 am

i've never heard them... but i have recorded a dude with the dread 302s. oh man.

oh man.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 am

eeldip wrote:i've never heard them... but i have recorded a dude with the dread 302s. oh man.

oh man.
Oh, you've heard them. You just don't realize it.

Yeah, the 302s are pretty rank.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:13 am

well, if i have heard them, it was only recorded or far away on stage.

but yea, speaking of cymbals, i have been diggin istanbul cymbals, and they are pretty affordable if you buy them used.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:57 pm

I still have the 16", 18" & 22" Paiste 2002 crashes that I've had since maybe '88. Lately I've been toying with the idea of getting hats and a ride to match 'em and gigging with them again - but I'm also trying to dig myself out of the credit card debt.
Never had any 602s but the percussion teacher at school has the 20" (I think) ride and I've recorded it and amp'ed it on stage many times. Definitely good stuff.

Have you checked out the Sabian Paragons? I bought a bunch of them (22-ride, 16&18 crash, 8&10 splash, 19-china, 14-hats) for the studio kit and have been really happy with the purchase. Even planning on adding the 13" hats sometime soon.

-Jeremy

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:11 pm

cgarges wrote:Is yours a blue-label or stamped?
when I got it, there were no markings but there was a very faint "used to have a stamp" on the underside of the bell, so I guess this was pre-blue label.
I always wanted Stewart Copeland's 13" Heavy Hats, but after seeing the prices on eBay recently, forget it... of course I always wanted one of those flat rides too (ala Gottlieb). hope you enjoy it.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:12 pm

by the way, I heard that the ride on "What is and what should never be" was a 20" 602. sounded good anyway...

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Lots of love, unfortunately no ownership.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:35 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:I always wanted Stewart Copeland's 13" Heavy Hats, but after seeing the prices on eBay recently, forget it... of course I always wanted one of those flat rides too (ala Gottlieb). hope you enjoy it.
Yeah, after 20 years of wantiing a set of 13" heavy hats, I bought a set. Paid a pretty penny for them, but they are definitely my favorite hi hats ever. I use them on jazz gigs, rock gigs, sessions, whatever. They sound great and are very controllable. I recently got a set of 13" mediums, too, but surprisingly, I don't like them as much.

I think those 13" heavy hats and my 20" medium ride will never be out-done as my favorites. Like I said, maybe it's a nostalgia thing, but when I finally got those cymbals, my quest for "that sound" stopped entirely. Sort of like old Ks. Now I'm just looking for variations or specialty stuff.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

bowling-name
audio school graduate

cymbal love

Post by bowling-name » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:03 am

I've only played Sabian, Istanbul Agop, Bosphorus, and Spizzichino (hey I'm not complaining!)...but I've been quite interested in the blue label rides (as well as sound creation and mellow rides)...they seem to record very well. When I get a sizzle ride, I'm debating between one of the 602's and a Bosphorus Hammer series.

Anyway, for all things cymbal, have you been to http://www.cymbalholic.com? Lots of great jazz players and some phenomenal pies.

dumbangel
pushin' record

Post by dumbangel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:46 am

They're not supposed to be 602 reissues, but has anyone tried the Paiste Traditionnal series cymbals?

I'm interested in complementing my Bosphorus Masters set with a thin Paiste.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: cymbal love

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:56 am

bowling-name wrote:(as well as sound creation and mellow rides)
I've got a few Sound Creations, Including a mellow ride. The mellow ride is a completely awesome cymbal. It's like, the greatest rock flatride because it's louder than most other flatrides. That little tiny hill of a bell on it makes apretty cool sound, too, if not entirely practical. I can't believe more people don't flip out a bout those cymbals.

The Signature Series mellow ride was cool, too, although an entirely different beast. It was just an especially washy ride cymbal.
bowling-name wrote:Anyway, for all things cymbal, have you been to http://www.cymbalholic.com? Lots of great jazz players and some phenomenal pies.
Yep. I've checked out stuff over there.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC