What is this Radio Shack EQ Everybody's Talking About?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:36 pm

jtienhaara wrote:Thanks Steve. So are you saying this particular RSEQ is only worth $300? Or do you think RSEQs in general are only worth $300?
I'd say 99.99% RSEQ's are worth around $15 - $30 - seems to be the going rate on ebay for this stuff these days. As far as I know - I've never heard the mystery eq in question - but RatShack never had anything in their catalogs even remotely close to $3000 retail price when it was new - and they certainly never put any where close to the equivalent of $3000 worth of parts and labor in any of their stuff either.

If you aren't just joking around here (which seems very likely!) and are actually wanting to spend $3g on a pair of vintage eq's - you can do lots better at a place like Vintage King - http://www.vintageking.com or Vintage City (for European broadcast/mastering modules) - http://www.vintagecity.de

Best regards,
Steve Berson

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:26 pm

Cellotron wrote: I'd say 99.99% RSEQ's are worth around $15 - $30 - seems to be the going rate on ebay for this stuff these days.
Again... do you see the right kind of them being sold for $15-30? No... :)

I had no idea they were worth $3000, I didn't know so many people knew about em. I haven't seen em on ebay at all, I got mine in a pawn shop for a few bucks, but that was years ago when I was just starting to record. Little did I know...

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:21 pm

OK thanks guys. I've got an email in to Mike Nehra @ Vintage King to see how much they would charge for a blackface.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:41 am

jtienhaara wrote:OK thanks guys. I've got an email in to Mike Nehra @ Vintage King to see how much they would charge for a blackface.
I await this answer. Should be good.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:25 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
jtienhaara wrote:OK thanks guys. I've got an email in to Mike Nehra @ Vintage King to see how much they would charge for a blackface.
I await this answer. Should be good.
The answer will probably be something like "you're pulling my leg here, aren't you?" I'm pretty positive they have never had a RatShack eq listed in their catalogs - but maybe you'll get "lucky"

The reason I suggested Vintage King is because they would have things like API, GML, Lang, Telefunken, White, etc. - a lot of it for under $3g's - heck they have a mint Nightpro EQ3D listed for $1750! - if I had the cash I'd grab that myself but I'm tapped out from my recent purchase of B&W N802's -anyway if someone is smart they'll grab it here - http://www.vintageking.com/s.nl/category.156/.f
(and Vintage City has Siemens, Neumann, ANT, Filtek, Telefunken modules for very reasonable cash - all good stuff - http://www.vintagecity.de)

If you're going to freakin spend something like $3000 don't you actually want to get your money's worth from it?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:08 pm

well, at least there's a good VST plug for it now:

i think there's TDM, AU and RTAS versions in the pipeline, as well.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:19 pm

If it's not the modded version, what good is it? I thought the mojo was in the mods.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:20 pm

anyone compared the new VST version to the real deal?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:01 pm

There's no doubt a software mod for this plug-in... recpro.com?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:22 pm

ubertar wrote:If it's not the modded version, what good is it? I thought the mojo was in the mods.
If it's not a model of the modded version, then why would anyone bother to make the plugin?

Speaking of which, who the fuck made this, and where can we get it? I can't wait for the chorus of 'this thing totally blows and is nothing like the hardware, so software universally sucks' thread to start.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:28 pm

Mr. Dipity wrote:
ubertar wrote:If it's not the modded version, what good is it? I thought the mojo was in the mods.
If it's not a model of the modded version, then why would anyone bother to make the plugin?
exactly. but maybe they didn't know? and which mods? aren't there several versions?

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:43 pm

ubertar wrote:
Mr. Dipity wrote:
exactly. but maybe they didn't know? and which mods? aren't there several versions?
From what I've gathered, there's only one real mod - I think someone said something about upgrading the quality of caps and pots because they had decided it was worth keeping around, but that's about it.

I honestly don't have the time to dig through all the threads on this, though - here or on the other boards where people are talking about it. I could well have missed something about any other mods.

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:45 pm

Mr. Dipity wrote:
ubertar wrote:
Mr. Dipity wrote:
From what I've gathered, there's only one real mod - I think someone said something about upgrading the quality of caps and pots because they had decided it was worth keeping around, but that's about it.

I honestly don't have the time to dig through all the threads on this, though - here or on the other boards where people are talking about it. I could well have missed something about any other mods.
Shit! Shit! Shit!!! Vintage King had a modded hardware version for 2.5K, but I didn't buy it 'cuz I figured it must be inferior to the all-original. Shit!!!!

FWIW I think the value has started going up ever since that uber-long thread over at GearSlutz. I have one lined up, but the guy won't go a penny below 3.5K. That plugin is starting to look pretty attractive.

Does anyone know what the exact mods are? Component #s and all? I've sent a PM to Jakob at Gyraf, maybe he'll post here...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:56 pm

Mr. Dipity wrote:
ubertar wrote:
Mr. Dipity wrote:

if you click on the "Realistic" logo it acts like the "open" switch on the Blockfish compressor plug and reveals all sorts of extra parameters to tweak which address the possible mods.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:15 pm

jtienhaara wrote:Shit! Shit! Shit!!! Vintage King had a modded hardware version for 2.5K, but I didn't buy it 'cuz I figured it must be inferior to the all-original. Shit!!!!
Gone already.