What is this Radio Shack EQ Everybody's Talking About?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Eh... what's that have to do with my quote above? I just called BS after people didn't see the light after 16 pages. Similar to what you just said but not caring about the reason why.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:57 pm

pandemic wrote:ouch..... I have always had pretty good luck as far as that went but I am pretty thorough doing the research before I pull the trigger. You may be able to gut that thing, add some rack ears and a face plate and stuff something cool inside.....maybe not a total loss.
Yep. My own fault; I was on my way out to catch a train, didn't really look at the pix and just relied on the text, figured US$20 was no big deal even as I missed the shipping charge.

Sometimes ya win, sometimes ya step on yer own wienie ...

Good thing I was already a atheist. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 pm

ubertar wrote:Image

Don't fall for it, folks. That's a car stereo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-Vint ... 460160e47c

However, the jokester himself may be in our midst. . . .

EDIT: Okay, you changed the picture after I posted, though I'll leave it in my post. The one now pictured is not from the 70s nor inductor based nor AFAIK any good at all. . . .

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:15 pm

VVV all the hoodoo on this thread aside, I really like the little EQ I bought. It is in a rack enclosure now and just waiting on some pots. I have not really modded the circuit yet although some frequency selection and a Q control are on the horizon. I tracked some vocals through it and it did neat things to the high mids and highs. The 31-1986 will prolly be the closest to the one I got and is usable as is with some RCA to 1/4" cables. I think it is well worth 20 or 30 bucks. Racking and modding will put the cost up (for me) in the 70-80 dollar range and I think it is still worth it. It is also a cheap way to screw around and practice before taking on a larger project like a PM1K. I am really happy with the way mine is coming out and I think the 70's wood grain face is going to be groovy in the rack. Whether or not stays in, taking up my limited rack space is another story.
Good Luck At Any Cost

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Derrick wrote:Eh... what's that have to do with my quote above? I just called BS after people didn't see the light after 16 pages. Similar to what you just said but not caring about the reason why.
If this is at me, I'm basically agreeing with you, calling it BS. (Somebody called you an "atheist," then you said to me they'll probably call me an atheist too, so I requoted to you what you said to the first guy. . . .)

The rest of it was just by way of explaining how all the BS got started. . . .

Joe
Last edited by germaniac on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Damn tomfoolery going on here. I am going over to gearslutz to get in a screaming match over room acoustics ;)
Good Luck At Any Cost

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 pm

pandemic wrote:Damn tomfoolery going on here. I am going over to gearslutz to get in a screaming match over room acoustics ;)
Damn tomfoolery is right! I keep trying to set the record straight, but it's like writing with disappearing ink. . . .

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Who me?

I'm just headed to the back room with some spraypaint, so I can prepare another round of Blackface inductor EQs.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:55 pm

I had the wrong pic up at first... sorry about that. I went looking for a pic way back when this thread first started and that first one is the one I thought might be it then, which indeed, is for a car stereo. The other pic is the real deal.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:08 pm

It would be amazing though......the ultimate piece of sleeper gear. I used to prowl junk shops, antique stores, flea markets etc. for old microphones "you know, those old ones nobody uses anymore". I had some success but not a lot and that isn't "sleeper" anyways.

well, I am pretty happy with my little EQ and never would have found it without all the Tomfoolery, so well worth the 16 pages.....er 18 pages of crap!
Good Luck At Any Cost

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Foolery, schmoolery. The 7-band, black-face, Realistic EQ:
I'd put up $100 vs. anyone who says it's a fake. Any takers?

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:26 pm

late 80's maybe 90's on that poor thing. I can smell the not-discrete-ness from here! Smells like hair metal that came out in 90'-91'....blech....
Good Luck At Any Cost

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 pm

The logo style is the same as the pic in the top left, listed as 70s on RS's official site: http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/history-2.html

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 pm

ubertar wrote:Foolery, schmoolery. The 7-band, black-face, Realistic EQ:
I'd put up $100 vs. anyone who says it's a fake. Any takers?
:lol:

I hope yer messin' around, I really do. :lol:

That's the one I just bought - the very one!

It's a plastic face - see the broke part on the two left sliders? Also, note how the face is a plastic shoe-box-like lid fitted on the front of the metal box.

It's a vertical circuit board inside mounted on the back of the face with no inductors, and a 10-pin ribbon cable on the back to attach it to a Realistic receiver. I believe it's basically useless without the receiver, certainly not worth even trying to mod to have output jacks and power in.

I'm not above larfin' at me, I got taken, see here for a description (last post), here is the one I bought.

For added larfs, here is my bitchin' at the seller (a pawn shop).

1st bitch:

Dear ***,

Item is not in "excellent" condition; has broken faceplate missing the broken part and your statement, "Power cord not included" was deceptive in that it does not advise that same is a special cord as opposed to a standard power cord and same is not clear in the picture you posted which hides the jack end..

1st response:

Dear mmmeeevvv,

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with yuor purchase, we think that some one who specifically searches for this unit would know the type of power that is needed; about the cosmetic damage, I think that may have happened during shipping.

If the unit is not working out for you, you can send it back for a full refund

My reply:

Dear ***,

Upon magnification and review of the first picture, the broken face-plate is visible by the first two sliders.

Your statement, "we think that some one who specifically searches for this unit would know the type of power that is needed" is offensive. I think that someone such as yourself selling such a unit would/should note that it is specifically intended to match a certain receiver; at the least you could have been accurate in stating it is a ribbon, not a "power cord", and not concealed the same under the unit for photographs. And BTW, I did no "specific" searching for this particular unit; I wanted a 7 band general-use Realistic equalizer, not knowing that you would be selling a unit that requires other related equipment to function, which fact you also failed to note/did conceal.

Let me state further that your postage charge ($25.00!) was ridiculous, and un-noticed by me as I made the purchase somewhat in haste, relying upon the text - while I have had good luck in all but 2 of the 40+ purchases I have made in the last 9 months, this one is a reminder to not trust sellers such as yourself to accurately describe merchandise, its condition, or to be fair with shipping charges, including you apparent expectation that I bear the cost of return shipping.

You clearly wanted to unload a dog on the unsuspecting, and I was the sucker.

- mmmeeevvv
Last edited by vvv on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:47 pm

So, do I get the $100?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.