Are you using a Mackie Control Universal with ProTools?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BradG
pushin' record

Are you using a Mackie Control Universal with ProTools?

Post by BradG » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:16 pm

I haven't been tempted by an outboard controller for mixing as I'm quite comfortable mousing about, but during a vocal tracking session the other day, I suddenly had an epiphany: Wouldn't it be so much easier to have some faders (and buttons) to adjust playback for the singers and to arm tracks, etc.

I started looking at the options. I don't have a lot of room so I though a Baby HUI would be cool except that the lack of a display might end up slowing down the very process that I'm looking to speed up. I thought that, while I'm taking up desk space, I should also have the ability to tweak plug-in settings from the controller as well.

So I came up with the Universal. I checked one out at a vendor and the size seems okay but it wasn't hooked up to anything.

I'm curious about how well it plays with ProTools and how much it lets you control from it. All plug-in controls, EQ, jump to locations, etc.? Does the display give you the track info from your session? What do you think of it? Thanks.

mindrocket
studio intern

Post by mindrocket » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:29 pm

Hey Brad. I use and thoroughly enjoy mine.The display shows the track name and has a crude level meter.It's really intuitive and i don't regret my investment at all.The swelling in my right hand has gone wont quite abit.;)

Radioaction
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Radioaction » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:13 pm

A Mackie control surface with ProTools? I was under the impression that Protools was only compatible with Digidesign (or M-Powered) hardware. What version of Protools are you using? Am I missing something?

Scott

mindrocket
studio intern

Post by mindrocket » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:47 am

I have a digi001 so you do need digi hardware to run protools.The mackie is assignable under the midi controllers section in PT.You have to download the Hui driver from digidesign after version 6.1.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:35 pm

A Mackie control surface with ProTools? I was under the impression that Protools was only compatible with Digidesign (or M-Powered) hardware. What version of Protools are you using? Am I missing something?
I have been using the b3hringer bcf2000 with ptle 6.9 w/out hiccup. I believe it is running in hui emulation mode. The pt hardware thing i think is specific only to audio i/o, not midid or machine control. That said I dont know what the limitaions are for mapping pt's funtions and parameters to hardware other than things that emulate one or two devices. I used to have a peavey pc1600 and ptle played friendly with that albeit "unofficially" in some sort of legacy mode. I think pt used to "support" a wider range of surface than they do now. I dont know if the older surface profiles are compatible with pt7 as they were with pt6.x.

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:36 am

lancebug wrote:I have been using the b3hringer bcf2000 with ptle 6.9 w/out hiccup. I believe it is running in hui emulation mode.
Woah! I didn't know that the BCF2000 worked in HUI mode. That's awesome, considering it's price and footprint. I've got to look into that. So does that mean that you're able to control plug-in parameters with it as well?

Anybody using a BCF2000 with PT7 on a Tiger-Mac? I've heard that this latest version may not support non-Digi hardware as well.

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:07 pm

I've got both the Mackie Control and the BCF running on a digi 002/PC rig.

The Mackie is great because of the display and the dedicated function buttons, but you can't use the scroll wheel or the master fader. You can tweak plugins pretty well with it and the touch sensitive faders are nice, too.

The BCF is nice as an extra fader bank. You can control basic functions (transport, record, track arming, fader bank switching, etc.) but no plugin control and no track name display. I mostly use it as a remote with a long usb cable in my "live room". It really is a lot of bang for the buck.

Both work with HUI emulation, so some of the limitations may be due to that. Both work fine w/ PT7.

I think both are good choices. I like 'em alot.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:03 am

lancebug wrote:I have been using the b3hringer bcf2000 with ptle 6.9 w/out hiccup.

Now if you could use two at a time for 16 channels... wow...

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

you can

Post by sonariste » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:18 pm

The Spark wrote:
lancebug wrote:I have been using the b3hringer bcf2000 with ptle 6.9 w/out hiccup.

Now if you could use two at a time for 16 channels... wow...
I think you can
I read a post somewhere that someone is using 3 with a mac pt le6.9

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: you can

Post by Spark » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:59 pm

sonariste wrote:I think you can
I read a post somewhere that someone is using 3 with a mac pt le6.9
Wow. Thats pretty cool!

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:46 am

dubphaser wrote:You can control basic functions (transport, record, track arming, fader bank switching, etc.)
I just wanna confirm - you cann definitely arm tracks for record with it? That one's kind of important to the way I want to use it. Do you use the "push" functions on the pots, like a Baby HUI, or can you assign that to one of the channel buttons?