Cakewalk Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Cakewalk Question

Post by Stephen » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:28 am

I cannot seem to get .wrk files and .wav to open and play at the same time. can get them both to play separately. Several notes: One I am a midi moron (so this will be shoelaces 101 for me.) Two: I don't have an external midi module. Thanks. Any help that can be provided would be splendid.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:51 pm

Explain more what you're doing?

Are you recording & playing back audio? Recording & playing back MIDI? Importing WAVs from elsewhere?

What exactly goes wrong?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:56 pm

percussion boy wrote:Explain more what you're doing?

Are you recording & playing back audio? Recording & playing back MIDI? Importing WAVs from elsewhere?

What exactly goes wrong?
I am, improting stereo wav files and adding them to compsed piano parts. When I place tthe wav fils with the piano parts I have composed I cannot hear the piano (I am sure there is some damned command to make this happen.)
Pax Steve

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:56 pm

they dont really play at the same times. .wrk files can contain .wav files. haven't used it in a while but open the .wrk file and 'import audio to track' or something to import the .wav.

I think this is what yer asking.

Will

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:01 pm

syrupcore wrote:they dont really play at the same times. .wrk files can contain .wav files. haven't used it in a while but open the .wrk file and 'import audio to track' or something to import the .wav.

I think this is what yer asking.

Will
Thank you, I will try this.
Pax, Steve

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:18 pm

Stephen wrote:I am, improting stereo wav files and adding them to compsed piano parts. When I place tthe wav fils with the piano parts I have composed I cannot hear the piano (I am sure there is some damned command to make this happen.)
Okay.

So you have a Cakewalk file open, and import the WAV files. That part is working fine -- the WAV files get converted and you can hear them.

How are the composed piano parts getting into the Cakewalk file? Are they audio recordings of piano, or MIDI files?

Also, what version of Cake are you using?

I think we can figure this out pretty quick if you can tell me the above.

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:30 pm

percussion boy wrote:
Stephen wrote:I am, improting stereo wav files and adding them to compsed piano parts. When I place tthe wav fils with the piano parts I have composed I cannot hear the piano (I am sure there is some damned command to make this happen.)
Okay.

So you have a Cakewalk file open, and import the WAV files. That part is working fine -- the WAV files get converted and you can hear them.

How are the composed piano parts getting into the Cakewalk file? Are they audio recordings of piano, or MIDI files?

Also, what version of Cake are you using?

I think we can figure this out pretty quick if you can tell me the above.
The piano parts are composed in Cakewalk Express which is the version I am using. I am using their staff composotion tool.
Pax, Steve

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Stephen wrote:The piano parts are composed in Cakewalk Express which is the version I am using. I am using their staff composotion tool.
Pax, Steve
BACKGROUND: As you may already know, the staff view is a way of editing MIDI files. MIDI files aren't sound in themselves -- they need some kind of synthesizer to play them back. This synthesizer could be part of the computer's sound card, or a piece of software (soft synth), or a separate electric keyboard or module hooked up to the computer through a MIDI interface, using MIDI cable(s).

----
Let's see if there's anything in your computer that can play the staff parts as audio:

1. From the OPTIONS menu, choose MIDI DEVICES.

2. Look in the OUTPUT DEVICES list -- is there anything there (other than the Cakewalk MIDI mapper)? We are hoping to see a listing for your computer's soundcard, or some kind of internal synthesizer built into the soundcard. If there is anything like this, choose it. If there's nothing that obvious, but there's something in the list, try selecting it.

3. Now try playing the Cakewalk file again, and see if you can hear some kind of electronic instrument sound playing the staff part.

Does this work? Do you have any MIDI output devices in the list?

What version of Cakewalk Express is it? Do you have the manual?

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:34 pm

percussion boy wrote:
Stephen wrote:The piano parts are composed in Cakewalk Express which is the version I am using. I am using their staff composotion tool.
Pax, Steve
BACKGROUND: As you may already know, the staff view is a way of editing MIDI files. MIDI files aren't sound in themselves -- they need some kind of synthesizer to play them back. This synthesizer could be part of the computer's sound card, or a piece of software (soft synth), or a separate electric keyboard or module hooked up to the computer through a MIDI interface, using MIDI cable(s).

----
Let's see if there's anything in your computer that can play the staff parts as audio:

1. From the OPTIONS menu, choose MIDI DEVICES.

2. Look in the OUTPUT DEVICES list -- is there anything there (other than the Cakewalk MIDI mapper)? We are hoping to see a listing for your computer's soundcard, or some kind of internal synthesizer built into the soundcard. If there is anything like this, choose it. If there's nothing that obvious, but there's something in the list, try selecting it.

3. Now try playing the Cakewalk file again, and see if you can hear some kind of electronic instrument sound playing the staff part.

Does this work? Do you have any MIDI output devices in the list?

What version of Cakewalk Express is it? Do you have the manual?
You sir are a genius.
I checked and the play back was the first two channels of my audio card. My audio card is multi channeled so I switched the play back select it to that mode and voila. Thank you again sir.
Pax, Steve