Broken AKG C-12 VR / experienced techs in Chicago?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

audionaut
gimme a little kick & snare

Broken AKG C-12 VR / experienced techs in Chicago?

Post by audionaut » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:28 am

Hi All,
We've got a broken AKG C-12 VR. After taking a quick listen, it looks like the front capsule isn't working, but the back seems OK. Everything in the power supply and pattern selector looks tight so I think that the mic may have been dropped. I don't want to send it to AKG and wait forever and I definately am not going to open the mic up myself. Anyone know a great tech that you'd trust with your tube mics?

We're in Chicago, so a local shop would be a plus... but I don't mind sending it away to the right guy either if thy're quick.
Thanks everyone,
Audionaut :D

lightning_electronics

Post by lightning_electronics » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:52 pm

i'm not local (northern california) but i have mounds of tube experience, and am terribly thorough and fantastic when it comes to repairs. i'm the local tech for my area and am the first to go to for anything electronic, and on top of that, anything audio.

i'd be happy to take a look at your mic if you're interested. PM me for more info, should you so desire.

strdsk
re-cappin' neve

Post by strdsk » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:25 am

I'm in Chicago, and while I don't do repairs I know of several people who do. Try either Midwest Digital in Chicago Ridge, ICM in Orland, or contact Andy Sickle or Shea Ako at Columbia College's sound engineering department. One of these people will be sure to help you...tell them that Joe Diliberto sent you. Joey D!

rpowell
pluggin' in mics

Post by rpowell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:18 pm

Tim Bernovich - ICM Corporation 9050 Helen Lane Orland Park, IL 60462 Tel: 708-403-2715, Fax:708-873-9370...not too far from I-80 and Harlem Avenue (on the other side of 80 from the Tweeter Center). I have dropped in on him a few times where he fixed stuff on the spot.

RP

strdsk
re-cappin' neve

Post by strdsk » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:06 pm

Well...this is the second time that this guy has been mentioned! This must be your man! Joey D!