VISION

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

strangefruit
ass engineer

VISION

Post by strangefruit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:32 am

Anyone heard of this software? It was once popular in the late 90's then disappeared. what has happened?
I heard it was one of most versatile audio softwares...

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:56 am

Great software for MIDI sequencing - probably the best at the time it was available, meaning that it did the most AND did it in a very streamlined and sensible way.
Alas, the company that owned it, Opcode, went out of business back in the mid 90s. Some folks tried to save parts of the company and their software, but the only thing that is still around is the OMS software that runs MIDI I/O patching in the computer.

-Jeremy

lofilothario
audio school graduate

Post by lofilothario » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:04 am

I recently installed OMS on my mac to run in Classic Mode. It won't recognize the 002r as a midi i/o device. Do you know if there is any way of getting it recognized or do i just have to buy another device?

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:02 pm

Apple hired one of the developers of OMS, I believe, to program MIDI and Audio in OS X. The result is Core Audio.

Gibson bought Opcode and let it die. At one point they made the apps available for free but the link appears dead. Read this.

I used Vision DSP (lite version) and it was great at the time. A lot of studios used Studio Vision Pro as their MIDI sequencer, and Pro Tools as their audio recorder. I think we've come a long way, though.

Why in the world would you want to use OMS now, though? Core Audio is built into the operating system, or in the case of your 002r you've got the Pro Tools software which will do a lot more than running OMS in OS 9 could.

Also, no MIDI or audio app is going to work in Classic. Those apps require too much integration with the OS and hardware.
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:26 pm

i used studio vision pro for a long time, even after it died. with a digidesign session 8 card, and 882 interface.
then opcode just went belly up.. OMS stayed around for awhlle. i think mostly due to digidesign support and use of it.. (imo)
to bad, great sequenceing software i thought.

panda