are your spray painted CDr's still playing ???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:36 pm

notes on another experiment in progress:

I didn't like the way my stencil for spraypainting turned out, so before I rocked a solid coat on all the discs, I decided to try something. I picked up some water-soluble Speedball Paper & Cardboard ink, and printed some discs with my silkscreen rig.

initial results are super promising - they screened really sharp & clean, they were almost dry within about 30 minutes of air-drying, no fan. I'm waiting for the last little bit of tack to dry before trying the disc in my cd player.

and I'm still using the contact paper, so I left six discs attached to the contact paper and hung them up with a clamp, hanging vertically. If they survive and don't drop off the contact paper overnight, I'll have solved my other big problem- where to set all the discs while they dry.

this was done using inkjet-printable discs. I don't think the ink will stick to plain silver-top discs.

I really hope this works, and that the discs don't play back fucked up, or slew off the ink while spinning. I've done block-printing ink on discs before with no problems, so I'm hoping the paper & cardboard ink will hold up as well.

if not...hmmmmm, I wonder if I could screen with the block-printing ink?

will post more once stuff is dry and tested.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:36 am

Bravo! thats pretty rad, hanging the disks to dry dark room style. awesome.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:57 am

trodden wrote:Bravo! thats pretty rad, hanging the disks to dry dark room style. awesome.
yeah, I went down last night and they were still hanging, 26 hours later. I think I'm just going to let them hang until they fall off, or one week passes, whichever comes first.

the only problem with the method thus far - the ink *is* water soluble, so if you get it wet, the print will smear like a mad bastard.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's