Jack White's Studio/GEt Behind Me Satan sound merged

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sassi
audio school graduate

Jack White's Studio/GEt Behind Me Satan sound merged

Post by Sassi » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:31 pm

I want to know if someone have any informations (gear, room size, etc...) about Thid Man Studio (or, even better, photos).
Thanks.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:57 pm

I think someone on here did the wiring for it. Do a search and see if you can find who it was. Or maybe they'll just turn up.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:47 pm

Contact www.vintageking.com. They should have some information that can help. They sell pro audio here in Detroit and service most of the big rooms around town.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:57 pm

Here he is. It's Collin from Vintage King.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/profile. ... file&u=451

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

xpulsar
pushin' record

Get Behind Me Satan......

Post by xpulsar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:46 pm

I did the wiring and setup for the last album of The White Stripes. What info do you want ? The pictures that I do have are for my personal collection. I also had to sign a release that says that I can't let anyone have any copies but I can show them to potential clients.

Collin

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:22 pm

oooo,

Is that so no one will see the Protools rig?

Heehee.

Sassi
audio school graduate

Post by Sassi » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:51 am

Collin
EVERYTHING. But what I am really curious about is the room (size, acoustic treatment, etc...), cause the drums sounds amazing to me. Which board was used. Is Third Man a Home or Pro Studio?

Thanks a lot, man.

xpulsar
pushin' record

Third man

Post by xpulsar » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:34 pm

honkyjonk wrote:oooo,

Heehee.
The tracking was done all on a 1" 8 trk Studer. With a 16 channel Neve melborne. Adams S3A monitors ,and 6 Coles 4038's (that is the only microphones that were used) There was a whole bunch of cool outboard gear that was used. Stuff that most of us cant afford. They rented a lot of it from vintage king.

A lot of track bouncing was commited to tape. The whole album was tracked in something like 8 days. Matthew Kettle was the engineer.

It was done all at jacks house in detroit. No acoustical treatment was done to his house. His house is pretty big.
The drums were setup on the stair landing , the ceiling height above that landing is about 12 feet.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Third man

Post by trodden » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:44 am

xpulsar wrote:
honkyjonk wrote:oooo,

Heehee.
The tracking was done all on a 1" 8 trk Studer. With a 16 channel Neve melborne. Adams S3A monitors ,and 6 Coles 4038's (that is the only microphones that were used) There was a whole bunch of cool outboard gear that was used. Stuff that most of us cant afford. They rented a lot of it from vintage king.

A lot of track bouncing was commited to tape. The whole album was tracked in something like 8 days. Matthew Kettle was the engineer.

It was done all at jacks house in detroit. No acoustical treatment was done to his house. His house is pretty big.
The drums were setup on the stair landing , the ceiling height above that landing is about 12 feet.
that is so totally rad. fuck, 6 4038's that would be fun.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:21 pm

Yow...

I'm always scared to blow the ribbons on my 4038s. Did they close mic any of the drums or guitar amps with them? If so, did they wreck the mics?

Cash is too tight for me to go blowing ribbons on those things so I always keep them back at least 12" from the guitar amps.

Theron D
pushin' record

Get Behind Me Satan sound?

Post by Theron D » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:41 pm

I've been doing digital recordings for 5 years, and am flustered. i listened to Get Behind Me Satan tonight and it's killing me. How? That 3D sound, the realness. I cannot capture it for the sake of me. I want to step it up and progress, do i need to get a GHOST, record to tape? Youre input is much appreciated before I kill myself...

Theron D

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:52 pm

I agree, that is one of my favorite recordings of all time right now. I read in another post somewhere here that it was done in Jack White's house w/ Coles ribbons. Not sure about the board or other details but the Coles mics in BIG rooms and the awesome engineer porobably made that sound.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:11 am

The Studer 1" 8-track has a lot to do with it.

I'm merging this with the Jack White studio thread.

xpulsar
pushin' record

Ribbons

Post by xpulsar » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:11 pm

linus wrote:Yow...

I'm always scared to blow the ribbons on my 4038s. Did they close mic any of the drums or guitar amps with them? If so, did they wreck the mics?

Cash is too tight for me to go blowing ribbons on those things so I always keep them back at least 12" from the guitar amps.
I wouldn't worry about blowing ribbons on a loud source it is mostly air that can blow a ribbon. They put one out in front of the kick about 1" to 1 1/2" with a pop filter in front of the mic. Offsetting the mic from the hole in the kick drum so that it is not directly in front of the hole.Then one as a OH above the kit about 6' to 7' high off the ground. then 2 room mics in various places based on the song.

xpulsar
pushin' record

Re: Get Behind Me Satan sound?

Post by xpulsar » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:28 pm

Theron D wrote:I've been doing digital recordings for 5 years, and am flustered. i listened to Get Behind Me Satan tonight and it's killing me. How? That 3D sound, the realness. I cannot capture it for the sake of me. I want to step it up and progress, do i need to get a GHOST, record to tape? Youre input is much appreciated before I kill myself...

Theron D
I would deffinately say that Tape has a big part of the sound of the recording,it was set up and ran at 15ips using the IEC european spec . They also had a whole slew of compressors and good Mic pre's. Neve 33415 the ones in the small neve melbourne,2 Api 7600 cahnnels ,2 Helio's mic pre's, One of my Presto Tube pre's, A fairchild 670, pultec EQP-1a,Pultec MEQ, 2 1176 LN Black faces,2 Distressors, Alan Smart C2, RCA Ba6a, 2 La2a's old teletronix. That is all of the outboard gear that I set up and thats all they used. It was recorded in like 7 days maybe less.I would have to look at my calendar to see.

Collin