turning a guitar cab into a bass cab

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

turning a guitar cab into a bass cab

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:41 am

I am going on tour soon, and am looking at a new bass rig thats not too fancy. I'm looking at a Univox U-1226 guitar head, which sounds GREAT plugged in through the bass cab (Univox UFO-15). The problem is I'm not sure we are going to have enough room to carry around a 5(?) foot bass cab in the car.

They have at the store a matching Univox guitar cab (U-1205), its looks great, its green. It sounds great with a guitar plugged through it. But would need to be modded, have bass speakers put in, etc. The guy who works at the store, who is a friend of mine and I trust, and treats me well just isn't sure about the cabinet itself, and how well it would sound with bass speakers installed. Does anyone have any insight? Experience???

Its important to note that I usually turn down the bass and turn up the treble on my nice Ampeg amp that I want to leave at home. I am more interested in being able to hear notes, than just loud bass, and like it grimey and gritty, and with lots of reverb (so the guitar AMP is a necisity.) The bass is the lead instrument in my band.

(no picture of the UFO-15 which is too big anyway)

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:30 am

This is the coolest thing I've seen since I saw them Univox amps the first time, back in the early 70s.

Does the cab have a closed back? That will help with the bottom end. I'd definitely reload with a couple of hefty bass-friendly speakers. Beyond that, you're talking taste. The cab could be a light MDF thing that will wheeze and resonate like a coal miner's lungs, and you might just love it. Or not. And keep in mind that 50 or 100 watts is pretty light for a bass rig.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take any eccentric piece of gear out on the road. I'd play it in the studio and around town for a year and get all the goblins out first.
dB

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:45 am

Just throw some decent bass-oriented speakers in there and jam. No mods should be necessary for what you want it to do.
Heurh!

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:33 pm

Yeah, even the bass cab shakes and rattles and hums. Its perfect.