buying a imac G5 vs imac intel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

burn
pushin' record

buying a imac G5 vs imac intel

Post by burn » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:13 am

I'm thinking about buying a imac soon, but I can't decide which one to buy (20" g5 or 20" intel)...

the fact that powerpc softwares are slower on the new generation bug me. Is there people out there who run protools on the core duo? is it that much slower than a g5? I'm also a bit afraid of the first generation of the new mac...

any advices? thanks

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:18 am

Personally I'd go with the G5. It'll be cheaper, it's still plenty powerful, and nothing works on the Intel Macs as of yet.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:34 am

Right now it is a very weird and therefore bad time to buy a computer from Apple, unless you want the PowerMac. If you want to buy a computer that will actually work with audio before next Christmas, you are going to have to go with the G5. Unfortunately, that also means that by Christmas your G5 will basically be twice as outdated as if they never moved to a new processor. To answer one of your questions succinctly, no, there are no people out there who are running Pro Tools on the core duo.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:54 am

I just upgraded to one of the refurbished iMac G5s ($750) and am blown away by its' speed. Should be fast enough for whatever it is you're doing.

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:35 am

I can live with not having the latest technology for the next few years, G5 are still plenty powerful... ...

But there's a thing i'm afraid.. do you think in the future the softwares will still run with powerpc mac? or they will only develop the apps for the macintel? they would be stupid not to still support PowerPCs considering how many people still have them..

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:24 am

Let me ask you this, then...

Are you getting support for your OS 9 apps? It's more like it's stupid for them to support PowerPC apps once they make their conversion...

Just like you can run classic apps in the classic environment, you'll be able to run the newer intel apps through the Rosetta translation. But it will be butt slow and basically useless to us.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:33 pm

To tell you the truth, I don't need support for my OS9 apps. I've been using them for a few years now and know them inside out.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:18 pm

If you must get a computer at this moment, especially for audio, it would probably be best to get the G5.

Also note that the G5 likes a lot of good RAM to really operate well under heavy loads (the intel is probably the same in this regard) so make sure to budget for that. I think 2 gigs is minimum, but I really stress out my mac.

It is usually bad for an audio person to get a rev1 computer, as there is some settling in time for both the hardware and software.

-H

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

re: buying an imac g5 vs imac intel

Post by nesta » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:33 pm

i would stay away from ever buying anything "new" from apple during the first quarter of the year. my logic being that they are unveiling their latest and greatest. you'll buy a new imac and then two weeks after it ships they'll be offering twice the amount of computing power for the same price. not to mention that it will take the time for the software makers to catch up.

hell, for this matter buy a used one and invest the $1,000+ in a good mic or mic pre.

just my 2 cents....

good luck and enjoy your apple,

nesta

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:27 pm

tjcasey1 wrote:I just upgraded to one of the refurbished iMac G5s ($750) and am blown away by its' speed. Should be fast enough for whatever it is you're doing.
Can you be specific about model/specs? I may do the same...

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:09 am

Definitely wait. As mentioned previously, you will then be able to purchase the machine when more third-party apps are universal or running native on the intel architecture, and you will most likely see enhanced hardware specs by that time. Always happens this way...give it a while and you will be setup with a more powerful unit at a time when more applications are compatible.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:28 am

17" G5 iMac first generation - 1.6 Ghz, 80 gig harddrive, two firewire 400 ports and three USB 2.0 ports. It also has a digital video out which (with a cheap adapter) can hook up to my old 17" LCD monitor that I used with my G4 tower so I'll have two screens. Yikes!

You can get them every now and then at the Apple Store online in the "special deals" section. They were manufactured with two capacitors that were prone to overheating so I guess they got a lot of returns on them, hence the "replace the capacitors and get rid of these" price.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... .1.0?61,64

They've got a ton of different iMac G5s there right now for some amazing prices.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:52 pm

burn wrote:... do you think in the future the softwares will still run with powerpc mac? or they will only develop the apps for the macintel? they would be stupid not to still support PowerPCs considering how many people still have them..
Expect general PPC support for the next 5 years, or about 2-3 years after the last G5 PowerMac is still available from Apple. The Pro Desktops are not expected to go Intel for about a year, and if they do go sooner, UB Code apps will not be there across the board. If by August there isn't a 90% UB availability, I wouldn't expect a speedy final wrap up until after 2007 has commenced.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:15 am

I just found out the iMac DOESN'T allow me spread out the desktop across two monitors; it will only mirror them.

Oh well, that's not why I bought it anyway....

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:52 am

knobtwirler wrote:
burn wrote:... do you think in the future the softwares will still run with powerpc mac? or they will only develop the apps for the macintel? they would be stupid not to still support PowerPCs considering how many people still have them..
Expect general PPC support for the next 5 years, or about 2-3 years after the last G5 PowerMac is still available from Apple. The Pro Desktops are not expected to go Intel for about a year, and if they do go sooner, UB Code apps will not be there across the board. If by August there isn't a 90% UB availability, I wouldn't expect a speedy final wrap up until after 2007 has commenced.

yeah, I think I'll go with the G5. I don't want to buy the first batch of intel, it's too risky. And I already own a lot of software for powerpc (i do graphic design for a living) ... and who care if intel is faster, as long as I can get the job done with a reasonable powerful computer, i think a imac G5 with 1,5 gb ram will be fine for standard audio recording...