Blue Kickball

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Blue Kickball

Post by numberthirty » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Does anyone have had a chance or an opinion on this mic? Thanks in advance.

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:50 pm

I've got one. Works fine. I still often use eq with it going in but I've been satisfied with it. Not the Holy Grail for me, but works fine. It's actually pretty cool for an aggressive vocal! It gets a lot of attention (questions) around the studio. I just wanted something other than my D112.
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:59 pm

I've got one and I use it often on bass cabs with the + setting. It seems to add another octave of low end extension and is great to blend in with another mic and / or bass DI. The kickball is awesome when paired with a 57 or i5 on heavily distorted guitars. I've also had success with it under floor toms and on kick drum, but it doesn't seem to have the tight transient response on kick like my Heil PR-40, so if I use it on kick I also use the PR40 or another large diaphragm dynamic.

I think it's a really cool, colored mic to have when you want a huge bass response and it's totally worth the money, but I wouldn't make it my only kick drum mic.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:05 am

what i'm curious about is how does it mount to a regular mic stand? do you have to get the shockmount?

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:16 am

I have a Kickball... my 1st impression was "eh....", but I am starting to like it more on things other than kick drums...

It has a standard mount on the bottom for a mic stand. You just screw it in, plus it swivels from front to back to further placement options.

Not terrible, but it's kind of "cooler looking" than it is sounding (most times, for ME and MY purposes)...
Blah!