Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:17 am

HIPPY. dude, seriously, get a hummer.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:26 am

Rick Hunter wrote:HIPPY. dude, seriously, get a hummer.
dude this isn't gearslutz.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:24 pm

i am getting a chevy aveo, cheap on the gas

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:42 pm

operator_tape wrote:i am getting a chevy aveo, cheap on the gas
you should try the RNP.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:12 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:
operator_tape wrote:i am getting a chevy aveo, cheap on the gas
you should try the RNP.
I heard the sytek is like cheap and good at the same time! amazing!

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:40 pm

You've got enough gear...just start recording. Worry about the song and not so much about the tools to get you there.

Do you watch Monster Garage and wonder what wrenches they used. Man, that chopper would be so much cooler if they'd only used SnapOn instead of Craftsman....No. It's all about the musicians and song. The room is next. After that...the gear all falls into place somewhere about equal. You can make great recordings on what you've got. I know that pres and such are all the rage these days, but really for a grand or two...even much less if you look hard...you can get a great sounding 16+ channel console with eq that's not bad as well. It's not really going to matter that you didn't have an API on the drums or a Neuman on the vocals....
If a song suffers quality, it's usually not the gear that does it. It's the song first, then bad musicianship or bad engineering/mixing. It's rarely the gear that makes a song sound bad.

That's another thread...What makes a song sound bad? or...Has gear, or lack thereof ever ruined a perfectly good song for you?

I don't mean to be ranting, but really, don't fret over it so much.....have fun...make music.

m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:03 pm

chetatkinsdiet is right on. recordings i've done through a mackie board and cheap mics sound better than ones i've done with the api's and some not as cheap mics. and in the end, its the recordings that make me smile and that i'm not thinking about how they "sound" as an "engineer", but most of that feeling and smile comes from the musicians involved and the song itself... who cares if i can hear a door slam on the first verse and the doubled vocal is off... the song is great and the people making the song were into it and having a good time. I hear those aspects over my noob engineering. fuck, my noob engineering disappears when i listen to those songs.

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

Post by Garthplinko » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:35 pm

I fully agree - a similar goal is to be as close to oneness as possible with your setup - your console, your gear all should feel like extensions of your body and the best way to do that is to use your stuff all the time and know what happens when you do this or do that. If you're fussing and fretting over which plug-in, pre-amp, or mic to use you're only stifiling creativity imo.

I mean gear is cool, but you can do so much with so little these days that if you focus on making what you have work you should be able to do pretty "pro" sounding stuff with an Mbox and a PC.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get "the sound" with what you have. Just take your time. Compare your mixes with "pro" mixes and go from there.
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:24 pm

It's funny. I've gone over to so many guys houses to help them with their recordings or help them set up a studio. It never fails, they'll start complaining about only having a 57 or so to record their guitar and it never sounds like what they want. Well, if truth be told, their tone is shite to begin with. If they'd bothered to really listen to their own playing or instruments, they'd realize that it aint the mic or pre or whatever that's the problem. Most of the time, what they're recording and don't like is really what it sounds like...just not what THEY think it sounds like.
haha....

m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

Garthplinko
gettin' sounds

Post by Garthplinko » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:41 pm

Word. Garbage in = garbage out. It's amazing how much easier it is to get a good sound on tape when you have good players with good gear. You'd think that would be more obvious - I can't tell you how often I have had to say "you can't polish a turd."
"Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good."

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:37 am

Garthplinko wrote:Word. Garbage in = garbage out. It's amazing how much easier it is to get a good sound on tape when you have good players with good gear. You'd think that would be more obvious - I can't tell you how often I have had to say "you can't polish a turd."
your right about that

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:42 am

I'm still dealing with my own catbox unfortunately.... Its a bit subjective.... a "great" sound could be a "meh" sound to another. Sometimes my "great" sounds are with "meh" performances... i think i'd rather have a great performance with a "meh" sound. what is a kick drum supposed to sound like anyhow? If I can't use my digi 001 to make a kick drums sound its sound... what's that popping sound coming out of the left monitor?