Good Article (Jack Joseph Puig)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Good Article (Jack Joseph Puig)

Post by Autodidact » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:06 pm

I was just researching stuff on Jack Joseph Puig because I read something about him on another topic and I found this article:

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectionc ... ycode=5285
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:37 pm

wow, they sure have hyping 15 year olds into buying gear down to a science....

"The Puig" "Agent 00Puig"

"And having mixed award-winning and platinum-selling tracks for vocally intense artists like John Mayer, Green Day, The Goo Goo Dolls, No Doubt, 311, Rancid and others, Puig definitely knows how to finesse the mojo when it comes to mixing vocal tracks. You see when it comes to getting the ultimate vocal mix, Puig none-too-slowly cites four essential components: the way the voice is equalized, the way it?s compressed, how the perspective (reverbs and delays) is deployed, and how the overall balance of these sonic elements is achieved.

Believe it you better, grasshopper.

THE FOUR SISTERS: HANDMAIDENS OF HIT-MAKING WONDER"

"You want THE ULTIMATE MIX?

Something that?s going to make the young boys sob and the girls all weep? You want the unending adulation of the masses?"

who the hell writes this shit?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:48 pm

Some friends of mine were getting railroaded through a Jack Joseph Puig mix. The lead singer had come over to my house to play some of the Jack mixes on his latest record. I sat there (this was way early in the so-loud-it's-distorted era) and I remember thinking, does this guy run his entire mix through a Marshall amp? I mean, should the bass drum distort that much?

Anyway, this singer invites me over to Ocean Way as they are mixing. We're all hanging out in the tracking room on the couches among the dildos and other bullshit Puig keeps at the studio to scare young bands and Jack comes out to invite the band in the control room to hear the playback of the latest mix. As I had been introduced to him as another engineer when I had first arrived, Jack made it very clear that I was not welcome in the control room because he didn't want any stray influence to affect the band when they listened to the mix. Inspite of the artist not liking the mixes, the record came out. The label had no A & R person working for them directly, rather it was someone from the independent radio promotion company that was freelancing as the A & R person for the label- and it was a major.

The whole thing struck me pretty insane. The band was not happy, but had no choice.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:08 pm

Cookie cutter crap. But hey, it's just "product" right?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:09 am

I love Pinkerton and was hoping we'd hear more about Puig fucking shit up, not the polished pop Puig in a condescending tone.. grr that article was annoying! Still, there were a few informational goodies. About what I'd expect from "Eq"

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:25 am

LOL!

Where were you guys in the other thread that was praising Puig?
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:24 pm

I still iike a lot of his work. I think he, like a lot of those big compression guys finally took it too far a few years back, but I think some of his stuff from the early nineties is cool. I do agree that that article was cheesy as hell. He wrote a VERY cool and interesting article on recording guitar for EQ about 10 years ago.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:01 pm

i don't dig this guy much at all..."railroading" is right!
he fucked up a mark linkous'/sparklehorse remix and i'm sure mark is still pissed to this day- a waste of $10k...like mark said, he could have spent it on a motoguzzi motorbike instead and would continue to get pleasure from it!

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:52 am

[qoute]The whole thing struck me pretty insane. The band was not happy, but had no choice.[/qoute]

I think Jack Joseph Puig seems like a pretty great guy, from my limited observations of him. He seems to be genuinely good listener, humble, and cares very much about the music. The fact of the matter is, he is definitely want of the "top" mixers of today, and like his sound or not, he is definitely making it "work" for a lot of artists. Every mixer has done mixes that a band doesn't like, its comes with the job, and just because the label wasn't giving the band a choice in the matter doesn't mean Jack is an ass. Him not wanting another engineer in the room is reasonable, too. I mean, I encounter a lot of guys that don't want me in the room while they are doing their thing, and that is fine, cause its THEIR thing...

[/img]

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:39 am

The Grays record he did sounds incredible. I really love everything about it sans maybe the snare, but that's a taste issue.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:20 pm

I think the Grays record is great because its great performances of great songs. Not because of the sounds. There are some cool sonic things, but I don't enjoy a lot of the sounds. I feel like the mix of that record each track is filtered to a small bandwidth to get shoe-horned into the mix. The drums especially seem that way to me.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:44 pm

I think the Grays record sounds good. I think the Jellyfish records sound even better. If I can ever get the bass drum sound from "New Mistake," I'll be a happy man. Even the banjo on those records sounds good.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

bentonevolution

Post by bentonevolution » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:47 pm

I would actually agree with what you just said about the drums (especially the SNARE!). I do love the guitars and bass though. You don't hear much about Falkner and Brion for their guitar playing as much as their songwriting and producing. But, they both deliver phenomenal performances (as they do on their other work).

Ro-Sham-Bo would have probably benefited from having more bandwith on the instruments, even if it meant there would be some smearing and cancellation.

I don't know who engineered JF's Author Unknown album, but even though it's not as sonically pristine as The Grays, the sounds fit the character of the songs better. Maybe The Grays record would have been better with that type of sound.

bentonevolution

Post by bentonevolution » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Sorry to briefly change the subject...but you guys might be interested on this record Chris Manning (Jellyfish) just produced. The artist is Chris Brown. The album is "Now that your fed".

The mix and production is great, but it seems the mastering engineer was on a 5k binge at the time IMO.

Puig is an accomplished engineer and producer. His services seem to be in demand and I can't fault him for any of my personal feelings about some of his work.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:02 pm

bentonevolution wrote:I would actually agree with what you just said about the drums (especially the SNARE!).
His snare drum sounds are all about the re-amped bottom snare.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC