Good Article (Jack Joseph Puig)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:37 pm

cgarges wrote:
bentonevolution wrote:I would actually agree with what you just said about the drums (especially the SNARE!).
His snare drum sounds are all about the re-amped bottom snare.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Yes, the Auratone trick!

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:47 am

wow people still listen to the grays? i guess with brion's newfound level of infamy its understandable

i remember getting a promo when it came out.. horrible horrilbe stuff.. straight to the sales bin...atrocious production.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:13 pm

Dubious wrote:wow people still listen to the grays? i guess with brion's newfound level of infamy its understandable.
I've been listening to the Grays for years because I'm a power pop fan, not because Jon Brion's involved. If anything, I probably got hipped to it through someone who knew I like Jellyfish and figured since Jason Faulkner was on it, I might dig it.
Dubious wrote:i remember getting a promo when it came out.. horrible horrilbe stuff.. straight to the sales bin...atrocious production.
To each his own.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:20 pm

wow people still listen to the grays? i guess with brion's newfound level of infamy its understandable

i remember getting a promo when it came out.. horrible horrilbe stuff.. straight to the sales bin...atrocious production.
Yeah I'm with ya. I have a bunch of friends that know I'm into melodic Pop and they all raved about the Grays record and how I would love it. I heard it. The songwriting is mediocre at best. Jason Faulkner and John Brion may be talented guys but as far as 'song' writers they leave a lot to be desired. They're like a lot of guys who are super fans of SONGS, they have everything but the ability to craft a strong, solid, singable melody.[/quote]

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:03 am

I love the huge sound to Big Wreck's In Loving Memory Of..., And that's not my normal brand of rock.

Y'know- I gotta weak snare in a mix I'm currently doing- I think I'm gonna spend some time trying a li'l re-amping this week...
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:49 am

Catoogie wrote:

Yeah I'm with ya. I have a bunch of friends that know I'm into melodic Pop and they all raved about the Grays record and how I would love it. I heard it. The songwriting is mediocre at best. Jason Faulkner and John Brion may be talented guys but as far as 'song' writers they leave a lot to be desired. They're like a lot of guys who are super fans of SONGS, they have everything but the ability to craft a strong, solid, singable melody.
[/quote]

I find the songwriing to be a lot stronger on John Brion's Meaningless album. I have to disagree with you on his and Jason Falkner's inability to write strong melodies, but I think of the Grays album as something i should like more than i actually do. Possibly a case of too many cooks in the Indian tribe or however you say it. Meaningless knocks my socks off- completely interesting production that does not get in teh way of well written, heartfelt songs. plus, that version of Cheap Trick's "Voices" with the wax cylinders just kills me.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:49 am

Jason Faulkner needs to finish more material. He's a writer, he's a creative guy, but his material falls short of being complete.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:02 pm

Catoogie wrote:

Yeah I'm with ya. I have a bunch of friends that know I'm into melodic Pop and they all raved about the Grays record and how I would love it. I heard it. The songwriting is mediocre at best. Jason Faulkner and John Brion may be talented guys but as far as 'song' writers they leave a lot to be desired. They're like a lot of guys who are super fans of SONGS, they have everything but the ability to craft a strong, solid, singable melody.
[/quote]

I disagree with this statement. It think JH and JB have great songs on that record. Though I think I like the Buddy Judge songs the best, esp "We've got Nothing."

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:23 pm

To each their own. Have any of you heard TV Eyes? Falkner, Roger Manning Jr, and Brian Rietzell (redd kross) did this eighties revival project in 99 while working on Air's 10,000 Hz legend in France. It's really stunning and may I say far superior than any of the current eighties revival projects. For samples, go to www.TVeyes.net.

I think The Grays put out an excellent album full of memorable material. I like the solo stuff better from all of the artists involved, but Ro Sham Bo was a strong effort.

Jason is currently in the studio with Beck again. Maybe he'll get around to releasing his next album this year (which is finished).

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:42 pm

plus, that version of Cheap Trick's "Voices" with the wax cylinders just kills me.
I'd much rather just listen to Cheap Trick do it themselves. This is exactly what I'm talking about in reference to these guys, the people they work with (Aimee Mann, Beck, Fiona Apple, Rufus Wainwright etc...)are always more interesting and better songwriters and artists then they are. Don't get me wrong I believe they are talented, it's just that I think they should stick to supporting than trying to be the main thing. Supporting is where their true talent lies. I think alot of the fans of these guys get caught up more in the fact that these guys, Jon Brion and Faulkner, are not celebrated by the general public so it gives them the feeling of being an insider. I'm of the belief that the truly great stuff gets noticed for the most part. There's a reason why this stuff isn't popular, it's not as good. Kinda like the Northern Sould culture in the UK, those fans are celebrating all of this obscure stuff, the majority of which is just inferior to the more popular Soul stuff. IT's the insider, I'm cool 'cause I'm hip to this stuff you don't know about.

One more thing, Brion & Faulkner are embraced by the audio geeks too. Wax cylinders on the cover of Cheap Trick? What was wrong with the original? It didn't need no damn wax cylinder, it had Robin Zander singing and it was perfect. That's my 2 cents.[/quote]

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:39 pm

Catoogie wrote:
plus, that version of Cheap Trick's "Voices" with the wax cylinders just kills me.
I'd much rather just listen to Cheap Trick do it themselves. This is exactly what I'm talking about in reference to these guys, the people they work with (Aimee Mann, Beck, Fiona Apple, Rufus Wainwright etc...)are always more interesting and better songwriters and artists then they are. Don't get me wrong I believe they are talented, it's just that I think they should stick to supporting than trying to be the main thing. Supporting is where their true talent lies. I think alot of the fans of these guys get caught up more in the fact that these guys, Jon Brion and Faulkner, are not celebrated by the general public so it gives them the feeling of being an insider. I'm of the belief that the truly great stuff gets noticed for the most part. There's a reason why this stuff isn't popular, it's not as good. Kinda like the Northern Sould culture in the UK, those fans are celebrating all of this obscure stuff, the majority of which is just inferior to the more popular Soul stuff. IT's the insider, I'm cool 'cause I'm hip to this stuff you don't know about.

One more thing, Brion & Faulkner are embraced by the audio geeks too. Wax cylinders on the cover of Cheap Trick? What was wrong with the original? It didn't need no damn wax cylinder, it had Robin Zander singing and it was perfect. That's my 2 cents.
[/quote]

I actually think it's simpler than that. I think that some music touches some people more than others. If that happens to be Jason Falkner or Matchbox 20 doesn't matter. Falkner and Brion write beautiful songs that mean something to me. I wish Falkner and Brion were platinum selling artists and even then I'd still be supportive. It has nothing to do with anything other than I like the music. Some great stuff gets noticed, some doesn't. There's no formula.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:29 am

Catoogie wrote:

One more thing, Brion & Faulkner are embraced by the audio geeks too. Wax cylinders on the cover of Cheap Trick? What was wrong with the original? It didn't need no damn wax cylinder, it had Robin Zander singing and it was perfect. That's my 2 cents.
[/quote]

I don't want to get into the hippster thing, because I think conceptually you're right.

I want to talk about the "voices" cover. I'm a huge Cheap Trick fan. One of my top five favorite artists. I'm also a massive admirer of Jon Brion. The reason I like the "Voices" cover because its an interesting and unique take on a great song. I don't care for [recorded] covers that sound a lot like the original. Or like the original with crappy distorted guitars for that matter. I like when artist makes the cover their own. I believe a great song (like many the Rick Nielsen and the boys have written) can be done a number of ways to great effect.

And yes Robin Zander is the closest thing to a perfect rick singer as can be found in this universe!

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:02 am

I agree about the whole appeal of falkner / brion et al is in there slightly left of mainstream "why arent these guys FAMOUS" angle.

im just surprised people are still talking about jason falkner AT ALL in 2006... i mean i can remember when his first solo record cameout, as well as richard davis, eric mathews... there was a real boom in classic songwritting, orch pop what have you for a biref period there... alot of hype esp in the brittish press..

does anybody care about eric mathews now? no not really... that stuff was just BAD.

of that triumverate the only one i can really listen to is Richard Davis... at least his songs were quirky, and the production (esp on telegraph) was quite nice, warm and full sounding.

Brion doesnt do anything for me in the slightest, and that includes his production... it all seems like waaaaaaay to arch... "must add another crum horm part to mix with this vintage pump organ".... not to mention ALL his arrangements sound like they're cribbed from the Beatles white album...

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:39 pm

Eric Matthews....Fuck man, I bought into that first record. I read all of the reviews (Burt Bacharach this, Burt Bacharach that), that shit BEE-LOWS!!! That dreck doesn't sound ANYTHING like Bacharach, except may some of the instrumentation. The songs sucked, his voice sucked......I didn't it to be Orch Pop, it was all heavy guitars and bullshit. AAAAARGH!! What a waste of my time and money.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:26 pm

Dubious wrote:. not to mention ALL his arrangements sound like they're cribbed from the Beatles white album...
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I also think that jason falkner has put himself out there as a solo artist much more than jon brion. Jon is a producer and film scorer who has made exactly one poorly distributed solo album for which he's done almost no press.

And I don't think enjoying his version of "Voices" takes away from my lifelong membership in the Cheap Trick fanboy geek squad. I saw it purely as Jon Brion paying tribute to them. Have you ever heard it? It's pretty cool.

I like Richard davies a lot. Main Street Electrical Parade is a great song.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599