source for a .047uf electrolytic capacitor?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crow
steve albini likes it

source for a .047uf electrolytic capacitor?

Post by crow » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:08 pm

i'm getting set to re-cap my ecoplate 1 but can't find anyone who carries a .047 microfarad electrolytic cap. i hoped it was a misprint, but i spoke to jim cunningham (who designed it) and that's what it was, alright. I've tried mouser, digi-key, allied and antique electronics supply to no avail. does anyone know where I might find one?

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:53 pm

well, i guess it doesn't actually need to be electrolytic, just polarized. back to the catalogs!

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:08 am

I can think of NO reason why ANY cap HAS to be polarized.

Aluminum electrolytics (and tantalums) are polarized because of their design and construction, which yields a part that is physically much smaller than a "film" capacitor with the same electrical specs (capacitance and oparating voltages). This becomes an issue with caps that are rated at dozens/hundreds/thousands of microFarads.

A 1000 uF, 50V "film" (ie, non electrolytic) cap would probably be the size of a microwave oven!! OTOH, you can easily fit several of the the same-valued caps, in an electrolytic version, in the palm of your hand.

The ONLY polarized caps I know of in sub-0.1 uF values would be a tantalum.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:15 am

did you try www.angela.com ?

klett
audio school

Post by klett » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:40 pm

the smallest electrolytic caps I see are 0.33?F or 0.47?F... tens times more than the value you are looking for... When you get to values below 10?F there are good alternatives to electrolytics i,e, film caps of all sorts. You can get 50 volt or higher voltage-rated Polypropylene caps in 0.033?F from Digikey and others. Many vendors have a parametric search engine that will allow you to see what is available in what type...

I guess it should be said that if the original cap really is 0.033?F, or 33nF, it is almost certainly not an electrolytic cap of any sort, it's a film cap already, and as I recall Jim Cunningham did not use crap components so I see no really reason to change that cap at all unless it was damaged somehow

uk03878
ass engineer

Post by uk03878 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:48 am

I actually have a load of 0.47uf Electros
They are really small Elnas in a Light green case
When I mean small - they are really really small - tiny in fact
God knows what a 0.047uf one looks like