Studio Electronics SE-1...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

andrew embassy
george martin

Studio Electronics SE-1...

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:45 pm

So, my trusty MS-20 has been a really awesome synth for me- it's insanely flexible, it's got awesome character in its filters and it's got oodles of cred.

But I want more bass. The poor thing does its best, and the bass sounds are great, but they're not always what I want. I keep hearing moog-style bass and I'm like "crap. That's the bass sound I want for X or Y"

But I can't afford a minimoog, at least not yet, because the damn things are like 1800 at least. But I'm seriously thinking about the SE-1(x)... has anybody used one of these? They're basically Minimoog clones, and while I know they won't sound EXACTLY as incredibly increibly ass-numbingly thick and fat as the legendary minimood D forever and ever amen, I've heard a lot about how much people love this machine from a bass standpoint, and how close it comes to doing what a mini does bass-wise.

Has anybody played one? Anybody got one collecting dust in their studio they want to sell me?
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:21 pm

sidstation has some killer bass sounds. i use one in conjunction with my ms20.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:17 pm

I used to have one, but traded it--mine had some unusual quality control issues. Fat bass, though. Like a stable Mini. Good luck finding a used one. . .

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:13 pm

I auditioned an SE-1 hoping to replace my Moog Source. The Source beat it for warmth and balls, I kept the Source.

Moog Source is a great bass synth, and can be found for under $800. If you want MIDI, Encore Electronics makes a great retrofit.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:08 am

the SE-1 kicks serious ass - I just sold mine a few months ago to help fund my pedal steel, otherwise I would still have it.

the bass out of that thing is incredible.

also, check out the ATC models - they are a little less expensive (and lack the dedicated controls that the SE-1 has - like the Source, its just one rotary knob for everything) but sound just as good if not better because you can swap out filters.

I ended up selling my SE-1 for about $600 - so you can easily find one for about that used. There are a lot of used ones out there on ebay and I see them on craigslist NYC all the time.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

oldsynthguy
audio school

Post by oldsynthguy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:05 pm

I like the SE-1 but it doesn't quite sound like a Minimoog. I tried the ATC-1 in the store when it came out and thought it sounded better than the SE-1. Neither of these are a Minimoog replacement, but both will do things the MS-20 doesn't and vice-versa.
WANTED: Old Synthesizers & Effects. Broken OK. Email me at oldsynthguy@aol.com. Thanks!